Abarth Style Decklid Opinions

Mrxx19

True Classic
It's still a work in progress. Have to bondo any gaps still. Just looking for in put. I opted for a raised vented engine instead of the abarth design. My trunk is cut out and a diffuser is being made too.

I'll be cutting a rectangle shape out of the ducktail, squared with the engine vent, and smoothed in the the lower sections of the ducktail.

It will be made in fiberglass first, then wet carbon from the gelcoat mold. I'm open to all opinions and insight. Does anyone have experience with the cooling from the abarth? I am turbo'd, adding ducting to increase upward airflow.

Looks fancy

It looks fancy from here. :thumbsup: I attribute the lack of comments to the fact that there probably are no more than a few deck lids of that variety in use. So basically, do whatever makes you happy and keep the pictures coming. I bet it will look good when finished.

Nice

It's looks to be a very clean, custom design. Can't wait to see the whole fiberglass-molding-whatever process. That fascinates me.

Cesare

Can't offer any opinion on Abarth version for comparison - I hope you document your mold / casting process with at least a few pics for us to enjoy - I for one love to see the development / build process as much if not more than the final result :)

It's still a work in progress. Have to bondo any gaps still. Just looking for in put. I opted for a raised vented engine instead of the abarth design. My trunk is cut out and a diffuser is being made too.
I have never used foil backed foam for plugs before but think it is going to be a bit of a problem for shaping and sanding. You mentioned using bondo to fill gaps. When I make foam patterns I use drywall joint compound. It dries slower but sands and shapes easier and feathering to the foam is better. Be sure you have the foam sealed completely before you make the fiberglass mold as some foams melt when coming in contact with resin. Your design looks good and will be an interesting addition to the car. Keep us posted on your progress.

I usually cover my bucks with copious wax then foil. The foil backed foam actually shapes quite well. I wanted a uniform single piece to play with. The smaller pink pieces suffice more often than not. I may try joint compound instead of bondo, thanks for the tip. I will be using a pva release agent and gel coat to hopefully get a solid mold. This will be my first carbon piece, and I'll admit I'm a tad nervous.

I usually cover my bucks with copious wax then foil. The foil backed foam actually shapes quite well. I wanted a uniform single piece to play with. The smaller pink pieces suffice more often than not. I may try joint compound instead of bondo, thanks for the tip. I will be using a pva release agent and gel coat to hopefully get a solid mold. This will be my first carbon piece, and I'll admit I'm a tad nervous.

Good luck. I thought about carbon when I did my hood and trunk and even though I had done fiberglass a few times before I chicken out. I like epoxy but cheaped out and stuck with polyester. You might have a problem getting the joint compound to stick to the foil. Your method sounds interesting so now I want to see pictures of the process even more.

So this may be obvious but I will say it anyway.

Make sure you get some loft across that surface. A flat object will not look very good and will tend to look like it is caving in.

More loft towards the front with it trailing off as it gets to the duck tail. Think of it as a slice out of a really large cone.

You can see the amount of trailing off curve you should have by looking at the back panel of the car, it should be more curved across the form at the front of the engine opening and end just like the old trunk lid.

I would remove the duck tail and raised engine area from the form and perfect the large "flat" surface and then add the other elements back in fairing them into the curved primary form.

The duck tail will look better with a curve over its width akin to the line of the surface at the trunk opening but a larger concentric radius due to its position.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-16%20at%202.27.05%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-16%20at%202.26.52%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-16%20at%202.26.41%20PM.jpg

I have never used foil backed foam for plugs before but think it is going to be a bit of a problem for shaping and sanding. You mentioned using bondo to fill gaps. When I make foam patterns I use drywall joint compound. It dries slower but sands and shapes easier and feathering to the foam is better. Be sure you have the foam sealed completely before you make the fiberglass mold as some foams melt when coming in contact with resin. Your design looks good and will be an interesting addition to the car. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the input Karl. I was actually just forming the curb last night. I noticed the stock trunk was curved just a tad. I'm still molding my buck just right. I'll post more photos up tonight. The radius of the trunk makes all the difference in the actual look of the design. I kept looking at it and thinking this just doesn't look right ( light bulb!!!!!) It's missing the radius on the trailing end. So I flip the buck over and started carving the middle section out to allow the radius.

If you cut a piece of hardboard to that same radius you can plop a big lump of setting drywall compound on top of the foam and then "drag" the profile from end to end so the top surface is lofted.

Setting compound is great because depending on which one you choose you can have a 1/2 hour or 60 minute work time with it.

This image shows the curve over the width of the lid which isn't obvious in the other images:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-16%20at%208.14.43%20PM.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-16%20at%208.47.46%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
deck/engine lid

are you planning to hinge from the rear, or pin it down? I have a abarth snorkel on a stock engine cover that I hinged at the rear (ya can't get it to clear the targa), and I have a fiberglass trunk and engine cover from MWB that will become one piece with a snorkel attached and most likely hinge from the rear. the engine cover will clear the targa, at least with the smaller one (engine). and as far as carbon fiber.... buy a lot and practice, practice, and practice!!!
unlike fiberglass that can be shifted around, you have one shot at laying it down to get the look. you start moving it around after laying it down you will have a Salvador Dali painting:dead::dead::hrmph:
mikemo

Just as an aside Mr. X, if you have any joint compound...

left over you might wanna finish your garage walls... after the car is finished of course.

HA!

Great work on the cover/lid though!

left over you might wanna finish your garage walls... after the car is finished of course.

HA!

Great work on the cover/lid though!
I think California is the same but here if you paint the garage walls it is considered a finished room and you are taxed on it. When I was building my house in Cali the tax man came out after about three years and said that they would start taxing me on a completed structure. I was doing all the work my self and as money allowed. When I sold the house 10 years later I went around and did a few last details that never got done. I am anxious to see the finished lid.

Back