No spark??

Grant Kelly

True Classic
MY 74 RAN FABULOUS to where it is parked. I pressure washed the car and engine bay and now ....no start... It has had plenty of dry time, still nothing, sssoooo... What got wet or needs switched out? I am less than stellar at electrics so thanks in advance,Grant

First thing to do is check the distributor cap for water/moisture. This means removing the cap, looking inside for water/mist, drying out, reinstalling with care to index the notch correctly.

The distributor cap is on the forward side of the engine, with the spark plug wires leading to it. Held on by two clips.

Hope this helps.

Both spade connection (piggy back, dual terminal) still on the coil? Mine gets really ticked off when I wash the engine too.

That happened to me once as well...

It was embarrassing also... but that's another story.

I am trying to think of what will kill a spark on these point's type ignitions when wet... and I can only think of a few things.

1. Inside the distributor. If you did spray the inside with WD40 you need to really CLEAN and DRY all the nooks and crannies. Also BLOW out or use WD40 and then blow out all the moisture in and around the breaker points and condenser. BEFORE reinstalling the cap... have someone crank the engine and SEE if there is an ARC jumping from the points operating. If so, go to step 3.

2. If no spark at the points... we need to pursue the problem BACK towards the power source with a Voltmeter. (The points supply a GROUND potential to the Coil) Go to the coil and test for +12 volts on each side of the coil terminals with points OPEN and the key in the RUN position. Pursue back towards the ignition switch if voltage is not present. More later if this is the case.

3. Reinstall the cap and rotor and try again. Use ETHER down the carb to assist as its easier to catch fire than gas. If no HITS at all, pull the ignition able to and with a small screwdriver, insert it in the end and ground the shaft on the cam cover, while you HOLD the HANDLE. Have someone crank the engine and lift the screwdriver about 1/8 of an inch away from the cam cover and watch for spark. No Spark? Change out the harness, cap and rotor while you are at it... as some moisture has most likely gotten into one of these components and is causing a problem. You can do one at a time... but I would "wholesale" it to be done with it. Install new plugs while yur at it.

Your turn, I'm getting cramps. Call if you like 9 - 9, 661-296-7277. HTH

no spark

the best thing to do when a pressure wash is at hand, is to leave the motor running and a plastic bag over the dizzy. the air displacement with the rotor spinning will keep water out through the holes (yes they are there) in the body of the distributer.
mikemo.
also check out the wire connections at the plugs and cap, and the power lead to the dist. a little moisture will wreak havoc on a sensitive ignition system that it already is

It was embarrassing also... but that's another story.

I am trying to think of what will kill a spark on these point's type ignitions when wet... and I can only think of a few things.

1. Inside the distributor. If you did spray the inside with WD40 you need to really CLEAN and DRY all the nooks and crannies. Also BLOW out or use WD40 and then blow out all the moisture in and around the breaker points and condenser. BEFORE reinstalling the cap... have someone crank the engine and SEE if there is an ARC jumping from the points operating. If so, go to step 3.

2. If no spark at the points... we need to pursue the problem BACK towards the power source with a Voltmeter. (The points supply a GROUND potential to the Coil) Go to the coil and test for +12 volts on each side of the coil terminals with points OPEN and the key in the RUN position. Pursue back towards the ignition switch if voltage is not present. More later if this is the case.

3. Reinstall the cap and rotor and try again. Use ETHER down the carb to assist as its easier to catch fire than gas. If no HITS at all, pull the ignition able to and with a small screwdriver, insert it in the end and ground the shaft on the cam cover, while you HOLD the HANDLE. Have someone crank the engine and lift the screwdriver about 1/8 of an inch away from the cam cover and watch for spark. No Spark? Change out the harness, cap and rotor while you are at it... as some moisture has most likely gotten into one of these components and is causing a problem. You can do one at a time... but I would "wholesale" it to be done with it. Install new plugs while yur at it.

Your turn, I'm getting cramps. Call if you like 9 - 9, 661-296-7277. HTH
You around today? Not getting spark and followed you comments on another post. Coil is not getting 12 but is getting 5 and less than 1 on the other.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Back