Most unreliable car of all is the Fiat 500L

Apparently the dual-dry clutch auto trans is the major culprit. There has been at least one recall by FCA to fix it.

FCA has had very bad experiences with transmissions lately, the 500L as already mentioned and the ZF 9-speed in much of FCA's small and midsized lineup.

That ZF 9-speed has bitten most of the carmakers who are using it, such as Acura, Land Rover, FCA. Also supposed to be in the new 2016 Honda Pilot.

I hear it works better when hooked to emissions testing equipment!!!

Superior, "German Engineering."

Bernice

I hear it works better when hooked to emissions testing equipment!!! :devil:

I kid, I kid, I am no fan of emissions testing.

maybe..

Consumer Reports names 20 worst cars for reliability

The most unreliable car of all is the Fiat 500L due to electronics, transmission, noise and leaks

http://usat.ly/1Nx9zAq

Maybe you're right but certainly is the most sexy ever!

a picture of my 1970 FIAT 500L.............. LOL :devil:

11954796_1050197231670728_2934054286781053407_n.jpg

sorry just kidding.. :thumbsup:

regards.

Consumer Reports names 20 worst cars for reliability

The most unreliable car of all is the Fiat 500L due to electronics, transmission, noise and leaks

http://usat.ly/1Nx9zAq

Own one and have had a few minor bits go funky on it. We have the manual 6 speed. These cars use electric assisted steering. I did have a problem in September driving home from Carmel Valley on the winding roads where the power assist would start to get twitchy. It felt vary unsafe and I brought it dealer next day. Of course they can't re-produce it. Likely cuz I was putting the car through some turns on 35 and 84.

I would trade it for a 500X ASAP if my daughter's mom could part with it.

QUALITY Difference

It's says the most reliable is LEXUS, How do you think what makes these quality differences, IE, between JAPAN and other countries,

I have a 500L Easy, six manual and it has been great except for a little design flaw... If you leave it sit for more than three days you better have it locked or it will be dead when you try and start it. By locking the doors, a relay turns all of the "sub-systems" off therefore extends the battery while parked. WHAT THE HECK! Oh well, very fun to drive.

I have a 500L Easy, six manual and it has been great except for a little design flaw... If you leave it sit for more than three days you better have it locked or it will be dead when you try and start it. By locking the doors, a relay turns all of the "sub-systems" off therefore extends the battery while parked. WHAT THE HECK! Oh well, very fun to drive.

I think the 6 speed was a good choice. Also had a battery drain issue, but it was a bad battery to begin with and replaced by dealer.

Until Japan or similar cars that are believe to be highly reliable-durable is taken to a 24 Hours of LeMons race where they fail with much drama the actual engineering design margins and depth of their production parts quality will not be known. Same if the vehicle in question is tested in real world road conditions for 500,000+ miles.

It is a matter of user expectations and user conditions. Few drivers on the road are going to torture their ride to 100% of it's capability or beyond. What most motor vehicles expect from their transportation appliance is to functions as a appliance without incident or require attention from it's owner-user. Many modern new cars happen as a 3 or so year lease or duration within the warranty coverage time. Once the warranty has past, it does not matter much any more as the vehicle is to be disposed of and user-owner-driver expected to replace it with a new one.

How would any manufacture design for this specific market condition-demand and expectation?

Most interesting about these one line media comments is the total lack of details as to what are the very specific problem areas and their significance.

Bernice

It's says the most reliable is LEXUS, How do you think what makes these quality differences, IE, between JAPAN and other countries,

crappy drive

I worked at a GM dealership which had Pontiac also. the new solstice came out and was thinking of getting one myself. the owner of the first one came in for an oil change and I asked him of his thoughts of it.
he responded that the car was really harsh and you can feel all the bumps in the road. Jesus!!! it is a damn "sports car" and that is what is supposed to feel like. trade it in for a Buick with heated seats and cushy seats and all.
if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand it anyway
mikemo

Always loved the Saturn Version of the Solstice, Sky Red Line. Thought it was a little sexier than the Solstice.

Back