Bertone X1/9 cameo on Jay Leno 11/4 epsiode on CNBC

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
There is a Bertone X1/9 (brown/gold two tone, in real nice shape) cameo on Jay Leno's 11/4 episode on CNBC. In the segment where Jay and Donald Osborne discuss three cars and which has appreciated the most in the last 5 years. To really classic cars and the X, you can guess how this went. :)

The segment is about half way thru the show, but I didn't see the whole episode online. Just a promo with Jay that doesn't cover the valuation segment. Here is the web site for the show if you want to check back in a few days or a week.

http://www.cnbcprime.com/jay-lenos-garage/

I almost posted this after watching

This is my favorite segment of Leno's new show! I was really excited to see an X1/9 this week.

I really like Donald, and hoped he would give the X1/9 a worthy description when I saw the X1/9 was one of his 3 featured!! He started off talking about the 850, Fiat vs Bertone manufacture, which was good. The rest of the time he talked about the very 80's-ness of the color, headlights, and dash/instrument design.

He said you could buy a nice one for $5k, and there hasn't been any appreciation over the last 5 years. He's right as always. The example he was showing was in showroom condition, easily a $10k+ example.

He did make sure to say X one nine after Leno called it an Xnineteen, which I appreciated!

Last edited:
I can't imagine someone paying $10K for that X

It is brown. ;)

Hey! Nothing wrong with brown, heck I saw a brown Ferrari 308 and thought it was gorgeous!!

But I know what you mean, brown isn't the most sought after color. I had a brown X and didn't mind I too much.

Mine looked much

better when I got the gold striping off of the hood and sides... hehe
that color keeps the cops away....

Screen cap

I still use Media Center as my DVR, so I was able to play it on my Win7 PC and get a screen cap.

Jay_leno_screen_cap.jpg

The blue car is some type of Daimler and the black car is a Lancia. IIRC the price of both the Daimler and Lancia were well into six figures.

Exactly where is it?

Any hints to where the episode in question is hiding on the Leno website? No luck finding it.

It is a new CNBC show

All that is on the website at this point is the promo. The show aired on Wednesday 11/4/2015 on CNBC, I don't know when , or if, the whole episode will be posted.

UPDATE: Well there you go. Darin knew where to look! Nice Darin. :)

Watch what you say about BOB, Jim...

and BTW... I have PROOF that his first X1/9 was BROWN also.

With his permission I'll post it... but I caution you all... he was a real cutie back then!

BTW... Brown is usually the color of you-know-what and IMHO does not belong on anything but where it was intended, so as one could distinguish where not to step...

Just sayin'...

Niiiiiice car, Jim......!

.......The blue car is some type of Daimler....

...that car is a Daimler SP250, also known as a Daimler Dart in some markets.
That car was one of my "dream" cars back in the day (when I was few years younger :sigh:)

cheers, Ian - NZ

This color combo was the EXACT car that...

Mr. Dick Waldren showed up at my house with.

It had 22,000 on the clock and all but about 2,000 were from being flat-towed behind a motorhome.

I wasn't that impressed at first but as I got into the car I thought I had stepped back in time... It SMELLED showroom fresh... and essentially it was! I made the mistake of telling him to replace the P3's as they were old and HARD and driving the car at 1/2 its limits was like driving on ice!

What I needed to say was to pull the tires and wheels, Armorall them and wrap them up in plastic and install them for car shows! It was a beautiful car and performed very well on its 185/60 Sumitumos...

So... what's he do... He sends Lem (Mel Simonds, his nephew) to middle California to drive home a "parts car" running on 3 cylinders. Halfway up the killer road, the infamous "Grapevine" on I-5, the car goes BANG... and is now running on all 4 cylinders!

HA!

Looking it over, he then decides its too good to part out... and it was also the very same color combo as this one as well.

Dick's life was FULL of crazy stories like this...

Watching this, I keep asking

shouldn't one of us offer him a ride in a K20 X?

I'm pretty sure it would make a show appearance.

How does a $5,000, readily available car compare to one that costs 10x or 100x more that you can't find anyway? The segment is simply about valuation? Okay, but who cares? Cars and investments don't usually mix well.

How does a $5,000, readily available car compare to one that costs 10x or 100x more that you can't find anyway? The segment is simply about valuation? Okay, but who cares? Cars and investments don't usually mix well.

I think it's a case of, "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Donald, the guest appraiser is just that...all he does is put dollar signs on cars. I like Donald in the four Jay Leno's garage episodes that I have seen, and I liked him when he was on "What's My Car Worth?" on Velocity. I think Donald fairly presents the cars, although I would quibble with his statement that $5000 will buy a nice example of an X1/9. Of course "nice" is a subjective term, but I think it'll take more than $5,000 to get what I would consider a nice example. I'd say it would take $7-8,000.

What I don't like about the segment is that Jay confuses things by implying that a car's appreciation over the last five years is a predictor of what's going to happen in the future.

And to your point, Jays should actually be representing your point of view to the audience, as Jay seems to be the kind of collector that takes his cars out and drives them (as he has done in each of the four episodes), vs the "trailer queen" type of collector, and has stated that his preference for restoration for newer cars (post-WWII) is the resto-mod approach, as (he said) is evidenced by what he did with his mid-'50s Olds....he added a 572 Chevy crate motor, a six speed trans, and lots of modern electronics and comfort items.

What I do GREATLY appreciate about Jay's show so far is that it has been anything but a parade of Camaros followed by Chevelles followed by Mustangs followed by Chargers.

The whole article sounds like an intro. And then it's over.
Seems to me the author did not get to acturally drive the car...

This is why, after Dave LaChance (Hemmings Sports and Exotics) photographed mine, I put him behind the wheel for a fun run. He now owns his own!

So for Donald's segment they pick some random cars and assess their valuation? I wonder what drove their choices? Is there a theme here? 5k vs. 55k, vs. 500k? Multiples of 5? How about a "Bang for Buck" segment? That'd be cool. How much fun can you have as inexpensively as possible vs. how much money can you "invest" and have no fun at all? :doh:

Car Guy vrs Marketing

I think Jay couldn't care less about the price comparison segment. He obviously has more fun driving than listening to the boring details of market value. I bet market value is the last thing on his list when he buys cars. The marketing guys think they will sell more commercial time if they have a "What's My Car Worth/Chasing Classic Cars" segment.

But of all the car shows on TV, this is the first time I have seen an X.

And an added note: JAY! It's NOT ex-nineteen!!!! :wall:

Back