Pics of installed Vicks

artz1731

True Classic
Header and muffler. After contemplating a custom exhaust I have started to lean toward the Vicks Header and Muffler setup. My only concern is that it looks like the collector hangs really low. Has anyone had bottoming out problems? If anyone has some good pictures installed I would appreciate it. Thanks

Previous version

I am not sure how different this new version of the Vick's header is, but I have the previous version on both of my Xs. The collector passes under the central suspension pickup points on the bottom of the frame rail:

exhaust_1.jpg

exhaust_2.jpg

It is low, but you can see that the jack point on the lower engine cross member is just a little bit lower. These pictures are of the header installed on my 78 that isn't finished yet. I also have the Vick's header on an 85 which has been driven on the street for years. I think there is one small dent in the lowest pipe, but I would have to jack it up to check.

NO PROBLEM... I see a problem...

Look at how GREAT that header looks and how CRAPPY your muffler and piping look!

Geez Louezz Jiminy... Fix that with either High Temp Silver Paint or better yet, have it Ceramic coated and then add a nice 2 1/2 Chrome Tip, with a rolled "Bologna Slice" end.

Option 1 = $20

Option 2 = $200

Your choice... but for $20 bucks you can't go wrong and I think Bob Brown owes you at least that much...

The header will look like the muffler after a few months

The header will look like the muffler after a few months, if I ever get the car back on the street.

The 4-1 header will definitely increase power. However, the one with the flange is sort of a pain to install. You need to get the car pretty high off ground to angle it in right. It also is just a tad visible from rear. I also had wondered if the the o2 bunge being so downstream was good or bad for a FI car. Anyone running this on a FI x ?

OK Jim, CHROME it all and just leave it in the garage...

But the NEW ceramic coatings look like new for years that I know of.

Ya know I only wish ya the best... hopefully you can find something that works for you.

My 85 is FI

The 4-1 header will definitely increase power. However, the one with the flange is sort of a pain to install. You need to get the car pretty high off ground to angle it in right. It also is just a tad visible from rear. I also had wondered if the the o2 bunge being so downstream was good or bad for a FI car. Anyone running this on a FI x ?

Hi Tim,

I somehow missed your question the other day. Sorry.

My 85 is still an FI car and it runs fine. I haven't noticed any weird issue with driving it at all. I even auto crossed it for a season with no hiccups under somewhat extreme conditions. Of course I never got out of second, so YMMV. :)

Anybody know why Vick's says the header will not fit a car with AC?

What might be the interference? Is it the high mounted alternator, or something else?

I installed the Vick's manifold and muffler about two weeks ago.

I had to remove the A/C, it would not fit.

I had to remove the Alt to install it and the Alt re-installation was tight. We had to re-shape the back cover on the Alt to get past the manifold piping. The Alt cooling line will not fit.

I'm still working out the spring/hanging details and I got a ticket in NYS for the volume. I'm considering a silencer but Vick's has provided a letter attesting to the appropriateness of the muffler.

Throughout it all, Matthew at Vick's has been at the ready, providing feedback and guidance. Great support, I'd buy it again.

I can provide some pics if anyone wants some specific shots.

Can you provide some more details of why the AC did not fit, is it just the hoses or is there a interference with the compressor?

Can you post some pictures of the area that did not fit with the AC?

If it is just the hoses, I can get longer hoses and route them differently. Not sure what could be done with the compressor.

Back