Let's talk tires...again

BrettM

1981 RHD X1/9
Ok, I know this has been discussed over and over again. I have a set of the Federals on my son's X and they are terrible. Major sidewall flex and out of round construction. They are so bad, I have not even tried to test the adhesion.

Now, the Achilles tires everyone talks about...are they good tires or just round and black (which cannot be said about the Federals).

I want a tire like the old Yokohamas that stick and handle good. They even look aggressive. I am tempted to buy a set of Achilles and try them but tell me, is it worth it? I drive in a spirited manner and all weather tires are not my ideal tire. The Toyos are nice but very expensive.

Thoughts? Let's put this to bed once and for all.

Tires - again...

OK Brett, one more time.

The Achilles are not the Yokohamas. But, they cost less than half as much and I think, are a great bargain for a good tire. My Federals were a problem from the start. My Achilles are a dream to drive. Round, rock steady, plenty of adhesion. Maybe not as crisp on turn-in but they are predictable. I like a tire that tells me when its had enough and these do that.

I also like the ability to toss and slide a bit. I do not like a tire that grips for dear life and then let's go completely when you exceed its limits.

Our X's are light cars with great chassis and handling characteristics. I find the Achilles to be a good daily driver that can step up to some spirited driving when needed.

Is it a "track day" tire, probably not. But for street use, its the best bang for the buck I've found do far.

Ed

Petlas Velox PT711

Someone posted Petlas tires a while back that looks really good, I would like to get a set but don't know where to buy them. Maybe someone will have more info on this.

Someone posted Petlas tires a while back that looks really good, I would like to get a set but don't know where to buy them. Maybe someone will have more info on this.

That was me... but there's a member who actually has them on his car in Germany. He likes them.

I don't know if they're US-DOT approved, but I would have had no issue importing them into Canada.

I ended up buying a set of Yokohama A-539 from the UK a month ago, but they're also not US-DOT approved. They're not mounted yet :)

I'm getting a headache from all this, not to mention the lack of tire choices is driving me nuts. I'm going to have to trust everyones experience here regarding the Achilles. My order will be going in this afternoon.

Before performance tires existed...

...back in the 60s, it was common practice to simply shave the tread down to reduce tread squirm.
That practice also was used to true up out-of-round tires.

Most commonly done on bias-ply tires due to compliant sidewalls of radial tires.
Radial tires were commonly stretched over slightly wider wheels to compensate for that.

A local retreader built a cottage sideline business by catering to racer-types.

I shaved my own with large Surform rasp...spun 'em up on drive wheels.
Mostly to expose fresh rubber surface, since bulk removal of tread depth would have taken long time.

Probably sounds like a process barely evolved from carving wheels from stone,
but we simply did the best we could with the resources of the times.

I purchased a set (I think based on your recommendation) a few years ago from tire easy but haven't seen 'em again :(

Hope they will offer them again. If yes I may purchase a set to black-bag in the basement...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/tyres-2

I am running the Falken ZE-912s on my son's X1/9 for over 20,000 miles. Every bit as good as the old Yokohamas. With shipping to the US by USPS they are expensive but not to bad.

Tire easy has had these on their website every so often.

FEDERAL TIres are crap... My biggest complaint was the Side Wall Flex... You have to run them at MAX PSI or you get a wobbly feel when driving. At the time they were the only option so I am living with it.. Any tire you can get is better than the Fed's... IMO..

I left ya a nasty message and it musta auto-scrubbed off...

If its for your son... he'll be elated with a set of 4 Achilles 122's.

Go to tires-easy.com and you can purchase 4 for less than the price of ONE Proxes... and have enough left over to have them balanced and mounted.

We have no long term or track testing as yet... but so far every single one has balanced an performed amiably on the street. Ya gotta a know though, most of us have been riding on on crap like the late Sumitumos and Federals...

Tires-easy has 175 and 185/60s and 205/60s in high end stuff. Only in the Achilles brand can you get 175's and 185's in the same thread pattern, the 122's. They have a few Platinum 7's left but only in 175's

Take a peek and you'll see what I mean...

Jay sends his regards... and approves of them as well.

Thanks Tony...

I remember your comments, and am heeding your advice. I simply want to have this tire thing in the fore front since it is such a big deal. Maybe if we screen loud enough, more options will show up. Anyway, I plan to order a set of the recommended tires and report back.

Thanks for your wisdom.

I know I'm late to the conversation but I've just returned back from 3500km roatrip on 175/70 Michelin XM2's. This included some spirited driving and a trackday. IMO the Michelins are VASTLY superior tyre on the X to the Falken ZE912 (185/60) (to be honest I was never a big fan of them) as an "all-round" tyre.

Personally I'd love them to re-make the P6000's (wore out 3 sets and loved every km). For really high performance driving they all fall short of my Avon CR28's - but at $80 each vs $250 each (and the wear rate on the Avon's is "spectacular") they make an exceptionally good tyre for the money.

The slightly larger OD did change the gearing slightly - my fuel economy was a touch better, my speedo much more accurate, however the "urge" while cruising over 100km/h was a little more relaxed. I found myself downchanging for overtaking moves I would normally have done in 5th. Appearance wise they seem to fill the guards better too.

Don't overlook the Michelins.

"Probably sounds like a process barely evolved from carving wheels from stone, but we simply did the best we could with the resources of the times."

And we liked it!

"Probably sounds like a process barely evolved from carving wheels from stone, but we simply did the best we could with the resources of the times."

And we liked it!

Lol. I used to just do burnouts with my old RWD (with posi) Volvo's to shave the tread. Was more fun than shaving with a rasp file sounds ;)

Back