where do FI cars draw their air from?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
I have a 77, that is carbed, and I was planning on using the factory air cleaner, and using a hose to draw air from the cooling fan intake hole, similar to what Tony does. Then I saw THIS

and hook it to an FI filter box, but where does that draw air from?

The FI filter "can" has an intake snout that points to the #4 spark plug/thermostat area of the engine, so I suppose you could say that the air is drawn more from the engine compartment than anywhere else.

I think you could probably rig up some sort of hose or duct arrangement that would more directly convey air from the left side engine compartment intake vent to the FI filter can....

I'd like to see the airflow through the engine bay at speed. Since the engine lid, if left un-latched, will start to rise at about 45mph and go full vertical at 60+ (despite it's considerable weight), it has to be significant, at that point the air down there must be moving by crisply and I'd imagine cool enough not to warrant ducting, lower speed maybe a duct is nice, just wondering how big a difference, if any, adding ducting to FI would make. Since it's something I always wanted to do myself (duct in from the left scoop which mostly just dumps into that general area anyway).

BTW I used that same kit to duct my Weber 38/38 into the stock snorkel on my '70 Opel GT. That was some seriously hot engine bay air otherwise.

guess I'll stick with the stock aircleaner box

and aluminum ducting over to the carb cooler fan hole..it's as far from the heat as I can get...I thought the FI filter box sucked in straight from the side vent...little did I know....

always loved the rollover lights on those, always wanted one as well. that was a very nice example Jeff what a loss.

yep, bummer. It wasn't all that nice though. Pretty medicare body job and paint, rust issues, but all in all I really liked it. Had just started getting the kinks out of the Weber and tuning and all that when......bam. all gone. At least I was alright. In regards to another recent thread on electric fuel pump safety wiring, I had wired one into that Opel but had NOT yet wired in a safety switch. I did immediately after the wreck hit the fuel pump switch, surprised i had the presence of mind to do that, but in this case it made no difference, the batter lives up front and took a direct hit so all electrics went dead immediately.

Nice lookin' Opel Jeff... Ya think they got their...

inspiration from the Corvettes of the day?

Ya did a good job of killing it too... Glad yur with us.

I believe my wife did the same thing to a Honda Accord with Black Tooth at about 40mph back in the day... Black Tooth was repaired for $3000 and they totaled the Accord.

Other way around

Is an Opel GT a "poor man's Corvette"? or is a Corvette a rich man's Opel GT? hmmmmmm

"The history of the Opel GT design extends as far back as 1962, BEFORE the production of the mid-1960's Corvettes. Original GT designers included Clare MacKichan and Chuck Jordan, (who are also known for the 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, Corvair Monza Spyder, Chevy Camaro, and the Opel Manta, among others)."

Or so the Opel guys claim......

Ya know... that entire lower casting is probably...

an adaptation of one that would fit on a typical 4 barrel carb.

Back in the day the first ones I remember on muscle cars were tied directly to the inboard headlights...

Not only was this a fresh (cool) air intake providing a denser charge, there was a RAM effect as well especially due to the LACK of aerodynamics of these blunt nodes cars.

Last edited:
Back