Would you rather have an X or a Pantera?...... Or Both?

Your Oppinions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont know the history and the sales pitch sounds strange. How do you buy a car to part it when there are no parts on it?

The story doesnt sound quite right. Why would you fix a Pantera by welding an X front end on it? I think what happened is the Fiat owner always wanted a Pantera and went out one day in the garage in a drunken state of mind and started cutting and welding.:):drink:

yikes

I wouldn't mind having the deck/engine cover, but the pantera was a known rust bucket behind the rear sail panel.
but I have been thinking of a one piece deck lid for a long time.
I know.... get off yer butt and do it!!
if time prevails.
mikemo:laugh:

showed it to my kid, I mentioned the rear 3/4 view looks good "that's because all you can see is Pantera" was his response.......

I think the car is just hysterical... I am tempted to make an offer just to finish it.... but I don't think its worth more than a few hundred bucks in reality....

NICE:)

Someone had an idea on the cheap... how to fix a lightpoled Pantera, if he's lucky ,a non-FIAT GUY WON'T NOTICE:)...Seriously thought ,of all the crazy posts, I do think this hit is at least a 1st base run:)

Oh, how I love to tell this (true) Pantera story...

(Those who have heard this... please forgive me... all others, I think you'll enjoy it and repeat it often!)

Back in 2005, JJ and I took a trip to Concorso Italiano with this Lemon/Pearl and Metallic Black beauty he owned at the time...

There were probably about 1500 cars at the show and I imagine its SECOND to the Concours de Elegance held 2 days later at Pismo. It is a bit less formal but probably the highest class auto event I have ever attended. (Thanks JJ! Wow... that will be 10 years ago in August!)

So over the PA system is usually heard music and announcements... but from time to time there would be a car selected from each MARK to parade around and drive up on the car podium to be photographed... and the owner/driver was interviewed!

Just a minute or two, especially if the person was well known... they would chat and even if you couldn't see the car... thousands of people could hear the interview all over the entire Black Horse Golf course. Go here for photos:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...es-Seaside_Monterey_Peninsula_California.html

... and then imagine cars covering all the greens!

So this guy rolls up in a de Tomaso Pantera and the MC is chatting away and they describe all the mods he's made to his car... These owners are known to install BLOWERS, TURBOS and NITROUS systems, body kits and flares, huge X large tires and wheels, and just about any HUGE Ford engine ever made... and then they chrome it all! Unlike Ferrari caretakers... they are all INTIMIDATORS (and characters) of the highest order. De Tomaso owners have absolutely no alliance to the MARK or to any of its suppliers. In general and in contrast, Ferrari owners would not even THINK about installing an oil filter or spark plug if it was not an official factory product.

Just before the interview was about to close... the announcer realizes something and asks the man... "Did you not own a Ferrari-Whatever V12 and entered that car here last year?"

"Why yes I did", the driver responded.

"Well then, tell us... What do feel the MAIN differences are between owning and driving a Ferrari, versus owning and driving a Pantera?"

The driver apparently thinks for a minute and then says... "Owning a Ferrari is like being MARRIED to a WORLD CLASS BALLERINA... and...
owning a Pantera, well, its kinda like DATING a HOOKER."

What followed was about the longest ten seconds of SILENCE over the entire last nine holes! HA! I gotta admit hearing that LOUD and CLEAR over the PA shut my mouth as well!

For those of you with some limited experience around these cars... and I don't claim to know much... but I have found those words he spoke to be basically true in every sense.... and apparently they come from an "expert" on the topic!

Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did in remembering it.

Last edited:
That's F*****g hilarious Tony....hahaha

love those uncomfortable moments
as for this Frankenstein here, I kinda like it, can't really see all the detail, but that had to be a challenge to put that together

Thirteen people have voted and only fifteen votes? Am I the only person who noticed that JJ posted a multiple-choice? Or is there something funny about the way the forum software reports results on multiple-choice polls?

For the record: I hated it, I'm speechless, I want to know how JJ keeps on coming up with these things.

Yea I agree... I dont know where it comes from... Funny thing this one came from a buddy of mine that actually thought it was a real Pantera.

He didnt realize it was an X on the front end. I would totally buy this car and finish it out with a nice drive train but I cant think that it is worth more than 1500 bucks as it sits because even with my wholesale connections and expert negotiations There is no way I would be any less than 15 grand into this car in repairs and restoration.

And then the real question... Who would buy it after I am done. I might be stuck with it..............IT would be another One in the world car to add to my collection. I already have 3 cars that are one off. I dont know if I can handle a 4th.

This is so bad, that it's actually good!

Personally since your first post this car has grown on me. I'm a big Pantera fan, but they are a little out of my budget. I would be all over this if it was more reasonably priced. Hey JJay let me know if you end up with this. I have done crazier things :nuts:

Bob I will buy it if we can do the mechanical sorting at your ranch...

But I would not offer this guy more than 1500 bucks for the car. It Just doesnt pencil

I have 10 cars at the moment and just don't have the capacity for another one................... :pc:

Plus I am restoring several X 1/9s this year. I am going a bit overboard. In fact I cant believe I am saying this but I have officially owned more of these cars than most people have owned cars. I am at 19 Xs since October of 1993. :eek:mg: I currently have 6 at the moment:grin:

I too am sitting on 10 cars.....

So my space is also at a premium. The fact that this is listed for $12800 makes me think the guy is a little unrealistic. If he would sell it in the $1k range I would probably be dumb enough to buy it. Appleton WI is only a day trip for me.

I'm just stunned at the asking price. $12,800? What? $1280 maybe. Just because Panteras are overvalued doesn't mean half a body shell is worth half a whole nice car. Still, I'd love to see it finished and driving.

????

I'm trying to figure out where the Pantera ends and the X-1/9 begins. The front nose, hood and windshield frame are X, but the front fenders look Pantera as well as everything from the doors back. Somebody had an evil plan, and looks like they did a pretty good job grafting the 2 cars together, just not 12k good.

There is much to like about Panteras

Engine components that are not milled by hand from billets of high-grade unobtainium in production runs of three parts a year and priced accordingly come to mind.... And the combination of midengine agility and looks with Detroit torque and brute strength does have a certain charm.... yes, the 1.5 liter Fiat SOHC and the 3.0 liter Ferrari V8 are impressive demonstrations of finesse, but the 351 Cleveland in the Pantera shows that if you have enough cubic inches, finesse is unnecessary.

There have been other successful marriages between Detroit brute strength and the daughters of displacement-impoverished European nobility: Sunbeam Tiger, AC Cobra come to mind.

Back