ebay is scary like a dark alley

scammer scams!

If you bring up the "store" links you'll spot that they all have about 200,000 items for sale. Yeah, right.

Probably some multi-level / franchise deal where the sucker buys into the offering and would recoup their investment through the sales that hit their ID. eBay made it easy for bulk uploading of data.

High-frequency traders have hit eBay!

I've been around a few of the importers where they share their ebay secrets... a common tactic is to offer the same part under different account names at various prices to give the illusion of lots of options out there, and to comfort the buyer thinking that he made the better deal buying from the cheapest listing.

The ones I looked at from your links all have different locations, join dates, sales history, quantity of items for sale, etc.. eBay allows you to create multiple accounts like that? I was under the impression that was not possible.

I've been around a few of the importers where they share their ebay secrets... a common tactic is to offer the same part under different account names at various prices to give the illusion of lots of options out there, and to comfort the buyer thinking that he made the better deal buying from the cheapest listing.

My wife sells on Ebay and agrees with the shilling of price options. She doesn't know how they do the different locations though. A lot of the bulk sellers are from China and some set up a state address. Then some of the sellers do drop shipping. You buy the item through them and then they place the order with the company and the item is shipped directly to you from the company. If you order something for close to or less than the cost of shipping and the shipping is free you can bet it is coming from China. The Chinese government subsidizes shipping. The main thing to look at when buying is check the sellers rating and feed back. My wife is constantly pulling her hair at some of the crap Ebay pulls on her but is making such a good income that she can't walk away.

online sales

that's why we all call it evil bay.
one of my buddy's bought a set of smoked headlights for his truck, and while attempting to install I noticed no dot approval on the lenses.
called them up with the issue and they said the will send my friend a check and to throw them away......almost as bad as cr##s list.
go figure
mikemo

that's why we all call it evil bay.
one of my buddy's bought a set of smoked headlights for his truck, and while attempting to install I noticed no dot approval on the lenses.
called them up with the issue and they said the will send my friend a check and to throw them away......almost as bad as cr##s list.
go figure
mikemo
not to hijack, but can you even have DOT approval for smoked lenses?

smoked lenses

I think so. the DOT is more concerned with the light refraction (cut of the lens) then color.
although, the smoke color would hamper lighting at a distance which I think the local constables would use to pull you over:censored:
mikemo

Depends on your state law...

In WA, smoked lenses are pretty much illegal.

WAC 204-21-230
Lighting equipment prohibited.
(2) Pursuant to Title 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108, the addition of an aftermarket style ornament or other feature such as tinted plastic glass covers, a grille or allotted covers must not be placed in front of the headlamp lens, or in front of any other lighting devices installed on motor vehicles which impair the effectiveness of lighting equipment required under 49 C.F.R. Part 571.108 (FMVSS 108) or chapter 46.37 RCW. Except:
(a) Clear aftermarket headlamp covers.
Etc. etc.

In one person's opinion

Smoked headlights are just stupid unless the vehicle is for display only.

Why would a person purposely inhibit the second most important piece of safety equipment on a car? I don't get it.

Sorry for the rant. Smoked lights on a car (of any kind) is one of my pet peeves.

Agreed, but I'll take it further and say the same for tinted windows. Glass is clear, and used in key places on cars for a reason.

a certain amount of tinting is allowed

but citations are a real money-maker for the ever-expanding, revenue-hungry state.

Last edited:
Agreed, but I'll take it further and say the same for tinted windows. Glass is clear, and used in key places on cars for a reason.

I never liked tinted glass till I moved to Texas. Down here, clear glass might start a fire! The last Suburban I bought had super dark window tint in all the back glass... the thing is substantially cooler in the summer than the previous trucks were.

Backing up in my driveway at night is sort of a Obi Wan 'use the force' situation... my house is back in the woods and its pitch black at night... but in Texas direct sun, the dark tint is super useful.

Back