Strong Dollar = Good News for Parts Costs

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
Saw in the news where the US dollar is as strong as it has been since 2003.

Usually the dollar to Euro is in the neighborhood of $1.25-$1.40 to €1. Today it is $1.06 to €1 according to Google.

This should mean that our favorite vendors are able to buy European sourced parts at a better exchange rate and therefore provide more value to us:)

Dan,

An astute observation and entirely correct in theory. Nice to see a post of this nature in the Discussion Forum!!

a little while back, the CAD was stronger than the USD.. but, I didn't need parts then..

now I need a longggg list of parts. BAH! Canadian dollar is being hammered, partly due to low oil prices..

True but...

This improvement in the USD value will work best for ordering from overseas, as most of the vendors I know have to charge in relation to what they paid, so that parts you purchase today will cost according to last month/year etc.

This improvement in the USD value will work best for ordering from overseas, as most of the vendors I know have to charge in relation to what they paid, so that parts you purchase today will cost according to last month/year etc.
I'm guessing that's what happened to me. I ordered some parts from Henk at X19 Parts Holland,and I thought it would cost less than what it did. No complaints,just bad math skills,apparently! Can't wait for my calipers! Henk really has some nice inventory!

HA! I'm celebrating too, but since this is a GLOBAL site...

I'm not sure that everyone is as thrilled as we are to hear this. Especially those "down-under" that gotta hack off an arm and a leg to get anything shipped to them.

Just sayin'...

Nice to know that you........!

....Especially those "down-under" that gotta hack off an arm and a leg to get anything shipped to them.
Just sayin'

....are thinking of us sometimes, brother! :D
When we calculate the shipping costs from the "mighty US of A" for our car parts, etc. we often need to rush off towards our "medicine cabinet" (beer frig) for a quick reviver!! :drink:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Indeed I know... what is really a sin are the Canadian...

taxes, duties and fees when we are talking about an invisible line between us and them and they are our good friends and supporters! Their government is doing it to them... it not like the item was traveling 8000 miles across an ocean.

I guess they gotta fund their free healthcare somehow... What a world, huh!

Canadian Dollar

Next week I will be in Texas for 10 days so I picked up $500 USD. The cost to me was $648 CND. About 29%. Now when I import an item they convert the USD value to Canadian and I pay the taxes on that value.

Still the best way to import into Canada is by USPS where it is very rare that I pay tax and import duties.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Tony,

Our Aussie dollar has tanked the other way....12 months ago my $1 Au was buying about $1.20us.... 6 months ago I was getting $1 American for my $1 Australian.... today it's about 75 cents US I get for my $1, so everything is much more expensive from the USA, euro not quite so bad.

Conversely anything to be bought from down under by someone in the USA just became about 20% cheaper this year so far...

Steve

Back