Car & Driver November 1984

RJH

True Classic
I was rummaging through my old X stuff and found this article that I thought the board would enjoy.

https://flic.kr/p/qwm4oK

qwm4oK

Last edited:
Nice Article

Patrick Bedard has always been a Fiat enthusiast. He has written many positive things about the X and Fiats in general. I think it was his 1974 review in C&D that got me to trade my '72 124 Sport Coupe for a '75 X.

Thanks for posting.

One question. The article was from November 1984 and at the end he writes the window sticker was $13,990. I also have a later 1986 Bertone ad with a price in the ad of $9,990 in giant letters. This was a popular ad and I'm sure many here saw it at some point.

So, what was the real price? Was it higher for this model because it had leather, A/C, etc?

The $9,995 ad does not include the optional two-tone paint, A/C, or leather interior. And for your 1986 year that price did not include the optional rear spoiler as well.

I still have my original window sticker when I bought my 1985 new. I am thinking it was $14,054 (don't have it in front of me).

I think when Bertone first took over, they loaded the car with leather, pwr windows, etc. as standard, for a higher price. Towards the end of the run, they went back to offering some of these items as options. My 87' has the cloth pinstripe seats instead of leather, for example.

European cars almost never had A/C and had less luxurious interiors.
So the lesser parts and versions were available, it was just a marketing decision to bring them to the US.

FWIW, the Bertone Xs in Europe retained the carbed 1500 (euro spec with 85hp), although some special series were sold with FI.

Similar situation down here, Ulix......!

.....FWIW, the Bertone Xs in Europe retained the carbed 1500 (euro spec with 85hp)....

In fact, I have never seen a FI 1500 X1/9!!
Almost all X1/9's here in NZ would have been imported, new or used, ex UK, to meet RHD regulations.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back