Rosso Arancio

RJH

True Classic
Hello everyone. I am new here and found this chat site.

Back in the mid 1980's I used to own a 1980 Fiat X1/9 in solid Rosso Arancio paint (see image). I absolutely loved the car and now after all these years I want to buy another one in the exact color. However, I am wondering what the very last year was that Fiat or Bertone made the car in the solid Rosso Arancio paint color?

My goal is to try and find the latest year in that color ad to try to purchase the car if I find one.

Thank you.

URL]

Last edited:
My 82 is Rosso Arancio....

But I'm not sure how long this color was used. At least through 82 anyway.

DSCN1363.jpg

Welcome RJH

Welcome to Xweb RJH! :)

I don't "know" the last year they painted cars in that color, but I am going to guess 1982 or 1983 as those were the last years that Fiat sold the X in the USA. I don't recall Bertone using that color, but as I said, I am guessing.

With a little Googling you can find color charts for the X, the ones I came across were not to good however. There is one linked in the Xweb Wiki and there is one in the archives from a Greek site.

Limiting yourself to Xs of a certain color is probably not a good idea given the dwindling number of nice Xs still around. Here is my advice: Look for exactly what you want, but focus on finding an X in good physical condition and have it painted in your color of choice.

I've been getting a lot of love for my Rosso Arancio colour..

My paint is original, so the pigment is a bit faded. I'll paint it one day, eventually.. it was never my favourite colour, but I've grown to love it.

according to the wiki page (linked off the index)

http://www.autodesign.it/x19/colori/index.htm

looks like 83 was the last year for the paint code 171 rosso arancio

after that it's 886 Rosso, not sure how different the two colors are.

IMO, worry less about the year, and more about the condition of the car. They're all old. If you find a nice one in the color you want, buy it!

Too bad you weren't looking this time last year when I sold rosso '80:

I add my old pic of my 1980 above.

One other question. Is Fiat ever going to bring back the X1/9? I've read when the car was designed they made the car very strong for USA crash tests that the US never implemented. It seems that if they brought the exact car back today, it would pass crash tests. All Fiat would have to do is install airbags. They can also use the more modern Fiat Multiair engine used in the all new Fiat 500's.

Toyota MR2 and Pontiac Fiero's are all gone. The only thing comparable out there is the Alfa Romeo 4C at a very pricy $55,000.

Why not bring the X1/9 back and price it the same as the Fiat 500?

Thoughts? Comments? Sorry, I just really loved this car and miss it a lot!

There is a new x1/9 available! It's the Alfa Romeo 4c!

I highly doubt that the x1/9 would pass today's crash tests though. A lot has changed since the car was designed, and engineering today is just better overall.

They're fun vintage cars, easy to work on and inexpensive to maintain. Safety? Well, I don't want to ever test the strength of my car.

Welcome RJ... I thought I was sick of seeing...

Medium Metallic Blue until you posted your "Tomato Red" car... and now all these other weirdos pop up...

I'm surprised Larry C didn't post his '79~!

HA!

Welcome aboard and I hope you find the car in the COLOR you want!

Stay warm too!

'82 X rosso arancio

My '82 X is rosso arancio, and there's a possibility I may be looking to part with it at some point during the next several months. RJH, feel free to message me and/or keep in touch....

Hi,
First post... Bought my first X1/9 out of boot camp May 1981... Really had my heart set on the other red which was portrayed in the printed sale media. Kind of a metallic burgundy with black interior. Not happening. Ended up with an '80 Gold with buckskin interior. Great time to buy your first car Fiat and British Leland locked in a price war the X and the Spitfire both sold for $7800.00 out the door! I remember your color...the code is 171. It was offered in '79 because I just towed one down from my boyhood home last weekend! Looking forward to a great summer in the mountains of western NC! But I digress... Fiat pulled out of the US market in 1982 and I think the 171 was available till then. In 1983 Bricklin imported X1/9 and the Spider from their coach builders so the X was sold as a Bertone. Fiat offered a special edition in '82 red leather interior(my dad and I thought it looked a little pink!) Two tone silver and anthracite split at the upper break of the door indent. 83 Bertone's were all leather and two tone, same break. Not real sure about '84 but '85 was two tone as well but the break in color happened at the top edge of the fender all the back... And I remember the roof painted as well on '85s. '86 was one color again and the red may be 171. My '79 is 171 and I bought a new '83 red and anthracite(red was 171 I know because the '83 trunk Lind is on the '79... Perfect match) I own an '86 which was red and I will check the code when I go south this weekend. So to sum it all up... '82 would be the last "Fiat" one color 171 and '86 might be the newest Bertone X1/9 one color maybe 171...will let you know for sure after I check the paint code. Some web sitesmlist this color as Rallye Red and others list as orange... Really red is either going to tend toward blue or yellow... From a color wheel stand point... 171 has a higher yellowmvalue which moves it toward orange.... It is not orange IMO but pretty close. Either way it screams 1980! So it is a perfect color for the X...again,IMO... But then any color is prefect on any running X.
ciao,
Tony
A quick image search showed some '83 ,84,85 Xs in one color... Do not ever remember seeing a single tone in those years... Could have been though.

I too owned a 1980 orange X19. Mine was totally stock , and rust free. I sold it about 4 years ago, and lo and behold it is currently for sale on Craigslist. The current owner is an xweb member, and has since painted it a tangerine orange. Nice paint job, he also made several good mods, I don't know why he has decided to sell he was/is in the middle of an engine mod, and the engine is out, or?? it does have a salvage title due to the fact I bought it from a Dismantler, it ran great, I would have drove it home but it was not registered or insured. the dismantler sells cars only as "parts" running or not, they are not licensed as a car dealer, no smog or safety obligations. here is the link.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/4944129099.html

Yes you are correct on the second and possibly the first part of your reply... I had that brochure from my '80 shopping and that was the exact car I wanted to buy time shortage forced me into the Gold one. The Lambo may be the same color as well. Further down wild willy posted the color chart from the x1/9 Greek club

http://x19gr.50webs.com/colour.htm

It shows the 171/paint code pretty much through out the run for X1/9 but I think it would be harder to find a newer Bertone's version... Fewer and sales were very slow... I bought my '83 in late '85 still new untitled and discounted 50%! Black tony was right too I think '79/80 had the 171, the red from the brochure and the Burgundy! I am pretty sure it was called Bordeaux...

Did not find the paint code on the '86 but did manage to make a huge haul of donor parts for putting the '79 back on the road so I should be able to source repair parts this week and maybe get really close to being back on the road end of April!

Back