1300 to 1500 swap

ajg77

Low Mileage
Quick question for all you out there. Swapping out the old 1300 for a carbed 1500 engine. I have read before that the fly wheel and starter are different as well as engine mounts. What do I need to do to make this swap work?

You will also need the sheet metal plate that goes between the engine and trans. Don't know about mounts, others will chime in.

carl

Differences

The flywheel and starter are transaxle dependent. That is if you still use the 4 speed transaxle then you will need the starter and flywheel from the 1300. If you use the 5 speed transaxle you will need the starter and flywheel from the 1500 as well as changing the outer hubs to the later ( 1500 ) design and the 5 speed axles. I believe the metal shield between the engine and transaxle is the same as well as the motor mounts. The 1500 is taller so there will be some changes to the exhaust to compensate for the added height or use the 1500 exhaust system. Also the lower subframe that the transaxle motor mount connects to comes in two forms that effect which exhaust system you use or you can make an exhaust of you own and use either subframe member. You can get the 1500 under the 1300 engine cover unless you had a 1974 car which has a lower engine cover. 1975 thru 1978 had a taller engine cover than the 1974 so you can use the 75 thru 78 on a 74 car. I have done this swap and it all works out great.

Charlie

yeah, what he said....

I did this on my 77....used orig 4 speed, with it's flywheel, starter. I guess I got lucky with the exhaust, but I was using a Vick's header. Stock air cleaner fits under the factory engine cover

Thanks for the input

That'll be a great help, thanks all. I didn't even think about the Exhaust issues. I will be using an exhaust from a old 74,two pipe style, and building my own exhaust from there. Over time I have collected a couple of 1500's, one in parts and the other out of a good runner. Ill drop in the 1500 with the orig 4 speed. The car itself is a 77 with a oil burning, low compression 1300. I do plan to get a 2nd X in better shape, but for the meantime I am enjoying tinkering with this one.

Winters are to long here, its been snowing the last 2 days now! Not driving weather!:mad2:

I made a mistake

If I remember correctly the metal shield between the engine and transaxle is different. The shield goes with the transaxle. If you use a 4 speed then use the 4 speed shield. The 5 speed starter is located slightly farther away from the block so the shield must be different. I did this quite a while ago but I think I'm right this time. Others can chime in on this one. The upper dog bone is also a different length but the motor mounts, transaxle and nose mount are the same.

Charlie

pretty sure you'll also want to...

...join the 1300 throttle cable bare end to a 1500 socket end (the tunnel tube is different so you can't just use a 1500 throttle cable throughout). Also the gear shift needs swapping over to get 5th in the gate - as yours is a later 4 speed, the 5 speed shifter will slot right in?

Charlie, AJ... I tossed that tin-shield about 100 years ago...

as I just found it to be a nuisance and nothing more.

Did this to a few others on my friend's cars too. Was I a bad-boy? What's it for anyway... I do not mean to be argumentative here... as many know I find a lot of engineering "band-aids" to be basically unnecessary... but now ya got me curious as to why this tin-work is there... or at least the initial thought behind it.

Tony

It's there to keep debre out of the clutch area. The engine and transaxle are shaped differently. With the shield removed you can look right into the clutch area ( flywheel ). Road debre and dirt can get in there and while the stock setup isn't water proof it is water resistant and keeps most of it out. Dirt can get into the throwout bearing area and kinda gum that up. Also any object that get in there can get cought between the flywheel and transaxle case. I always use my shield but you can probably get away without it if your lucky. Theres also a safety item. Don't stick your fingers in that area with the engine running.

Charlie

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I guess you mean you can see the flywheel...

and clutch cover.

Funny... as many times as I have been under there... I don't "recall" seeing that exposed but I have only really worked with 5 speeds. Do 4 speed expose the flywheel more?

Well... I see your point... I KNOW I am BLESSED though... I bet if what you say is true about exposing the flywheel and clutch... then the LACK of the tin would allow the clutch and engine to COOL a bit better as well. Especially if yur doin' Autocross and nuttin' else.

Whatdaya say ta that? Probably save about 20 ounces also!

HA!

Good chattin' with ya!

Hey Charlie... we're tryin to schedule an event halfway to you guys down there... pencil us in for the 12th. I think its your turn to buy anyway!

Back