Got a problem...tires

Coupefan

True Classic
I just had one of those Federal Formoza FD1 ( 185/60R13) delaminate on me, with just over 29,600 miles on it (4 years to the date since purchase). I would suggest anyone with these tires give them a good inspection...I was always wary of them, even with the DOT stamp. In the meantime, the tire now seems to be unavailable. I checked ebay, Amazon, tiresonline, tires easy, etc. Either no stock or no longer sold. Did I miss any vendors? I really need just one, the rest still have life in them.

New Tires

I second Jeff's vote for the Achilles.

I am getting more and more impressed with this low cost tire. I had recently put a set on my '85 X and thought they were "OK". But I just rebuilt the suspension (Vick's springs and new KYB struts), and I can now better judge the tires performance.

The suspension upgrades have made a huge difference, the car handles beautifully allowing me to stress the tires themselves. Granted, there not racing slicks, but for a daily driver tire, they are stable, responsive, run straight and true and give me all the grip I have the nerve to need.

Ed

I may start with the two rears then to keep it matched. Achilles eh? Not a very good name from a historical stand point.

Agree with others' comments

Just got a set and I'm impressed with them. Can't beat the price.
Cheers!
Mike

Where have you been Cesare... Simi Valley?

So far, the only thing WRONG with the Achilles is the historical reference.

So far, the only thing WRONG with the Federals were their "out of roundness" and inability to be balanced. By my count, the Federals bought by folks on this site have shown that clearly 50% were junk from the beginning. Most have had to have their dealer get 8 tires before they could balance 4 good ones. You though, have just proven there are other problems with the Federals as well!

Go to tires-easy.com and type in the sizes you want... I believe you'll find some Achilles to your liking.

Wow.... That is impressive that you got that many miles out of a Federal... For 40 bucks I would have changed them out at around 15K miles.. Federal's are CRAP. I bought 8 to get 4 that worked. For the price and at the time I purchased there were no other choices.

I have not tried the Federal SS595's... I have the other JUNK tires they sell... The SS595's have an aggressive tread design and a UTOG 460-A-A... which is pretty good... If they will balance etc..

The Achilles are so cheap you can buy them like razors.. I wouldn't track them or anything.. Probably perfectly fine tires to fart around town on.. Again, for 35 bucks.. How can you go wrong..

Best tire I have seen for 185-60-13 is the TOYO Proxes... 180 each is not a bad price if you are out running around VIR.. You know they will perform and the are high quality. But around town it's a waste of money.

Back