FS: My 1978 X1/9

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
$3500 obo

It's time to sell off 1978 Fiat X1/9 - it became redundant for me when I picked up my blue '1974, so that's why I'm selling.

A little background - she's lived most of her life in AZ and CA, so there's little to no rust on the car, other than the usual paint bubbling at the base of the winshield. All the other "problem spots" are clean and rust free.

She is 100 percent original, except for a Sony CD stereo and Sherwood speakers, a version of the brown wire mod, HID headlamps in H4 housings with relays, and a Allisons gear reduction starter. Originally silver metallic, the car has had paint and body work done by the PO to the driver quality you see here. Shes not perfect but very presentable.

The car originally had A/C but now it's all removed, except for the HVAC box and the switches on the console. The condensor, and all the related plumbing and reciever dryer are gone as well, with rubber grommet plugs installed where the pass thru holes are in the various points in the body and frunk. The drivetrain is a stock 1300/4 speed with a new clutch and clutch hydraulics installed less than a year ago. All works great, save for a couple drops of oil found under the car when she is parked and sits overnight (I think the shift seal might be the culprit).

I drive this car to work daily and can attest that shes very roadworthy, with all items functional except the AC and the blower fan. As for title, shes still wearing AZ plates because the car had its emission controls removed by the PO, and I have yet to put them back on. I plan on doing so for the asking price, but if you prefer they remain off then I will adjust the sales price of the car down accordingly.

The interior is probably the best part of the car - two tone brown and beige factory seats with carpet, dash, doors all in perfect condition. It's hard to believe the stuff inside is 37 years old!

I just washed her today - some pics:

IMG_3439_zps3bd65c3f.jpg

IMG_3438_zps081dcab7.jpg

IMG_3437_zpsdbcee455.jpg

IMG_3436_zpsbf02c2e3.jpg

IMG_3435_zpsff6395a6.jpg

BTW, here is the project build thread on this car:
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/181115&highlight=superstat

Last edited:
Looks real nice! Great price BTW!

Thanks, I think I priced it fair. It's crazy though that almost any other car of that vintage in that condition would fetch at least twice the asking price. IMO these cars are so undervalued its almost a crime.

Wow -- this seems like a very reasonable asking price and a great vehicle for someone looking to get into an X.

When I was shopping for mine ~3 years ago, I would have been all over a vehicle like this one at this price...

Ima gonna reply for two reasons...

1. Great car and it NEEDS a good home... so I hope to BUMP this up.

2. It NEEDS to go live somewhere where it need not be strangled by all the emissions stuff and pump.

Sounds like someone could fly out and drive it home!

x for sale

will you deliver to nor-cal??:whistle:
just kidding. I will send out feelers here up here in the non fiat unbelievers and see if I can get a bite.
if you do drive'r up lunch is on me!!!
mikemo

A bump for this great car and a question. Speaking of "bumping" I know some remove the bumpers and or add bumperettes. Has anyone ever removed the ladder style bumpers and put on the later style?

bumpski - I just installed a fresh set of tires so include that in your calculations when considering this car

Last edited:
zonk

I dunno if you got my pm for the parts I have and you need.
mail box on the forum is full now (o.k. 75% ) as I have to delete stuff.
I do have the stuff you need, but had a few questions.
what really chaps my butt, is the missive was send in something that would make mike(ore) and papa tony giggle.
try my e mail instead.:nuts:

I'm a bit tired and grumpy tonight, but do a search...

and you will find dozens of ideas...

Also, Ricardo Borja has a SXS post on how to instal '74 Bumpettes if I recall.

MM modifies the Ladder Bar bumpers in to a single blade, some compress the late model bumpers, some remove them ALL completely, and don't forget Hussein's PVC pipe bumper.

Have fun!

Bumpski for my '78 - and an update. I put all smog equipment back on (thank you Jim D) and took her to the CA smog check... and she passed the first time!

But boy, does she hate to run with the factory ignition timing set at 0 TDC. So after the smog check, I advanced the timing again to 10 BTDC and she's running as nice as she did before :angel:

Back