What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

What did I do? I took delivery! And.. I washed it, got it registered, installed a battery cut off switch and learned how to lower one of the headlights manually...:shock:

Steering bits replaced

We had all the steering components replaced, good thing too because just about every piece eas shot. Got the 4 wheel alignment done today :) so now it's safe to drive.

Pulled the front suspension off. Struts, knuckle, control arms, tie-rods, and radius rods. The works.

Was surprised to find the rubber in much better condition than expected. My X never seemed to wander and felt reasonably tight but had seen some movement in the cones on top of the struts and figured it was best to go thru everything.

Anyhow, some of the rubber bits were compressed or cracked but nothing had disintegrated yet. I've always had a difficult time detecting early failures/slop on ball-joints but they all seemed pretty good to me.

Looking forward to cleaning it up and putting everything back together with new rubber and struts!

...and then will hopefully turn my attention to the rears sometime in 2015...

Yup bone stock internals

Nice Pete. Your motor is all stock internals? Did you ever run a hondata ECU at all?

I have not tried the Hondata. I ran the stock ECU for about a year, then decided to upgrade. I looked at the choices, there were basically 2, the Hondata or a Haltech unit. My tuner preferred the Haltech, but I'm not sure whether that had to do with the capabilities of the unit itself, or the user interface, or what. Cost was similar, around $1100-1200 as I recall.

Cold weather starting can be challenging but that's in the tune, not inherent to the unit itself. So a bit more tuning to do then I guess (the original tuning was done in hot weather). I now have a hot weather map and a cold weather map, although my tuner thinks he could combine them into a universal map without too much compromise. But it's no big deal to switch between the two.

I like the idea of a centrifugally charged K20, and the Haltech will support that. But packaging in the X chassis probably precludes that. Turbo would be a possibility but not without invading the rear trunk. I might go that route one day.

Pete

I have not tried the Hondata. I ran the stock ECU for about a year, then decided to upgrade. I looked at the choices, there were basically 2, the Hondata or a Haltech unit. My tuner preferred the Haltech, but I'm not sure whether that had to do with the capabilities of the unit itself, or the user interface, or what. Cost was similar, around $1100-1200 as I recall.

Cold weather starting can be challenging but that's in the tune, not inherent to the unit itself. So a bit more tuning to do then I guess (the original tuning was done in hot weather). I now have a hot weather map and a cold weather map, although my tuner thinks he could combine them into a universal map without too much compromise. But it's no big deal to switch between the two.

I like the idea of a centrifugally charged K20, and the Haltech will support that. But packaging in the X chassis probably precludes that. Turbo would be a possibility but not without invading the rear trunk. I might go that route one day.

Pete

Sound like good options. There are possibly some small HP gains with other bolt ons like alternative intake manifolds too. The engine versions names elude me at the moment. I also think some modifications to the custom throttle body "tube" are needed as well (for me). For example I have the air intake temp sensor in its stock location but I think it needs to go upstream closer to the manifold so ecu gets a proper reading. Maybe a larger TB as well, injectors etc.

I also like the idea of a turbo over a super charger but space is still an issue like you point out with messing with the rear trunk.

Lots to consider...:hmm:

I'll just drop this here...

1pMgJu.jpg

I was wrong

Yes! These and the cooling fans are the next step needed for charge cooling for the Bumble Bee 2.0 turbo project.

So those are intercoolers??? Hmmmm. I figured with a set up like that your butt crack must begetting really sweaty sitting in your comfy leather chair. ;)

It was yesterday...

And not sure if it really counts as something I did to my X, but I did manage to talk my way out of a speeding ticket. :innocent:

If you were driving the X and you tell us how fast they got you going it will count!!!:)

I said he got me doing 90 in a 65. I told him its a custom electronic speedo and needs to be calibrated. "I was doing the flow of traffic!!" But he said, "uh, no or I would have pulled someone else over too".

The "out" was the fact his brother had an x19 back in the day, but it never went that fast so he was impressed, we talked cars for about 15 minutes on the side of the road and he let me go ;)

I said he got me doing 90 in a 65. I told him its a custom electronic speedo and needs to be calibrated. "I was doing the flow of traffic!!" But he said, "uh, no or I would have pulled someone else over too".

The "out" was the fact his brother had an x19 back in the day, but it never went that fast so he was impressed, we talked cars for about 15 minutes on the side of the road and he let me go ;)

One for the books!!......cool story!!.....and yes i think it counts!!....lol

Cleaned all things Fiat...

Washed all 4 Fiats today...
WP_20150201_001_zps75e2d260.jpg

Now it's time for a drive and find a new place to watch the last half of the game from...

Back