Paging Miller's Mule - I love my new wheel spacers w/pics

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a hold of Jason over at Miller's Mule. Maybe he's on vacation, but I've sent many emails over several weeks with no reply. He's usually very good at getting back to inquiries, and I don't think I have his phone number. Anyone know Jason that could let me know if he's around?!

He made me some nice wheel spacers and I didn't get hub centric front spacers, instead it's just a simple spacer. The rears are hub centric. I asked him to drill+tap two holes for the locating dowels, and I cut them so that they would fit in the spacer. So far, so good! But now I want to change to front hub centric spacers - it's virtually impossible to properly center a lug bolt style arrangement on the hub.. believe me!! You can tighten it off center, the tapered holes will not center it (I do this while it's in the air, not on the ground).

I have CD91A wheels, which do not have a chamfer on the hub - this required modification in order to work with the spacers. Not Miller's fault, but I'm glad I checked everything 20 times before going on a test drive. Simple fix, had the wheel machined to have a chamfer (will add a pic).

So

My rears are 12.7mm thick, and the fronts are 9.5mm thick and now I want 9.5mm thick spacers with a hub centric feature - but I'll need to machine my hub nose to accommodate the spacer.

Rears: (pardon the dirty car.. lol) - oh and why spacers??!? see my signature pic - better stance, fills out the wheel wells, change in roll center, just looks better - and very minimal impact on the wheel bearings as I didn't go extreme.

Fronts:

Also: to adjust camber after lowering, I slotted the "top" bolt hole of the knuckle to strut. I added 3/8" heavy ZIP washers (they're machined steel washers) and tack welded them onto the strut after alignment. This allowed the camber to be adjusted from under the car without removing wheels, and literally took minutes per corner. Tack welding the washers allows me to dismantle everything without hurting the camber adjustment (they're quite a tight fit, no slop). This is done best without the brake dust shields in place.

I could make an intermediate piece to achieve a hub centering feature, but at this point, a new spacer is the ticket.

BTW: I bought MWB brake pads recently (I had Vick's SS hoses that I bought 10 years ago on a shelf.. finally put them on, including some NOS Brembo rotors)... HOLY MOLY, the brakes are awesome!! For street driving, I don't think you need anything better. I rebuilt my brakes, less the master (it needs replacing this winter) and yesterday I was driving my car quite hard, no fade, nice stops, no noise, little dust, it was almost terrifying how well the brakes work. My brakes have never worked this well, ever! ha.. I had cross drilled rotors before, and I will never go back to that - they were noisy (they flutter/air rushing), and for street.. I want something quiet.

Anyhow, thought I'd share.. the MWB brake pads are pretty good! I used Axxis Metal Masters before, and on my race car - but the MWB pads seem to be as good if not better - mind you, the SS hoses probably improved braking as well.

BTW: The Vick's SS hoses do not fit the car without modification - you need to file flats on the threaded portion for the front brakes. Perhaps their new ones are better, but my hoses from 2006 manufacture date do not fit the anti rotation feature on the body - and there's NO way I was going to file the body!! The MWB ones have flats and fit more like OE. Those didn't exist in 2006 IIRC.

Cheers!

Sorry for the ramble.. main point is that I want more from Millers - they do great stuff, and I'm quite happy with the results. Not perfect, but darn near close! Worth the money actually, I got more than what I paid for.

Like the old adage: "Price, Service, Quality: Pick any two".
Millers Mule is price and quality, but forget about service.

All of his stuff does work as advertized, but oh my! when it comes to service. He is a small shop and does this part time is my understanding, and as a result his delivery times and comminique is less than adequate when comparing it with 95% of the other vendors out there. At least that has been my own personal experience with purchasing a flywheel and crank pulley from him.

Back