new car stereo time.....

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
wow, just wow, never seen so many features, been a while since I bought a new deck, er I mean multifunction receiver, complete with bluetooth, and Ipod/usb hookups. I can remember paying 200 bucks for a TAPE DECK- WITH 2 KNOBS! lol
I wanted to continue to run an amp and sub in the frunk, and last time, I had a bunch of old leftover gear, amp, xover, gooseneck eq (not a blaupunkt, but cool just the same)
Nowadays, all you need is the receiver, the amp, and the sub.....Pioneer receivers have a built in EQ, and a crossover, and actually has HI-PASS on the speakers driven by the receiver, so you don't blow bass thru em, and kill them, and I only paid 80 BUCKS....and I'm blown away by the usb feature on the front- no more moving parts (cd player) to break
my, how times have changed

When I bought my '74 it still had an AM radio and single speaker in it. I wanted a new stereo that could keep the retro looks of a 70's era dual knob radio so I bought a Pyle unit for $40. It looks period correct and with a spare tire powered sub it has enough oomph to still hear it well while driving with the top off. It has a SD card slot so I burned 32gig worth of music and I have yet to hear the same song twice :)
Best $40 I ever spent

Stereo?

About five or six years ago, one of kids extended their foot into the well, up beyond the fuse box. They yanked the ground for the Tandy removable face stereo (tape decks need theft deterrents you know). I never got around to hooking it back up, instead entertaining myself with thought and the sound of the engine. I rarely used it, as top off driving produced too much road noise.

Now if someone offered a very compact (and hidden) head unit that would fit in there and allow a Bluetooth connection to the music on my phone, with on screen volume and music selection (wouldn't that be cool.) I would consider a new stereo.

well, they're not hidden

but all the new decks have removable face, and bluetooth, and or usb....put all your stuff on a memory stick, and forget about it.
They also now make motorcycle sound systems, that basically are hidden boxes, with remotes, don't know if they are bluetooth, but I bet you could find one.....

Nearly hidden sound system in my 74

The dash is uncut and there is no way I was going to cut it for a stereo.

I bought a small amplifier and a Bluetooth to RCA adapter. I also bought a spare tire subwoofer. All of this is hidden in the spare tire area. All of my music is on my iPhone.

For main speakers I bought four 2" mini woofers and mounted them in wooden craft boxes to sit on the rear shelf. Original idea was two behind each seat in LRRL orientation. Since I rarely have a passenger I went with two on each side of the driver seat instead. They put out plenty of sound while driving top off.

These are the only part of the sound system visible. Nothing can't be undone to return to stock:

86b8d7825a5165acf681820d3007f241.jpg

Last edited:
Back