"Ran when parked."

RJH

True Classic
I see a lot of X for sale postings. Many of them say "engine ran when parked. But doesn't run now." Seems many of these owners don't want to get the engine repaired/running even though I am sure it would bring them more money in a sale. What's going on here?

Can the board elaborate on this? Some of the cars were stored indoors for years and they were most likely in running condition. Why don't they run now assuming new battery?

I also heard that cars in storage engine's "lock up." Is this correct and does this happen? Or does this usually happen to cars usually stored outside exposed to the elements?

I would assume many other problems with brakes and such as car not driven for years.

Thoughts? Comments?

Ran when parked

Hi,
For me, that means everything is there but a complete overhaul is required... if you are lucky! It is NOT just requiring a new battery.

Daniel Forest
Montréal, Canada

The longer a car sits, the worse its fuel system will get.

Putting aside the battery which as you noted will deteriorate quickly if stored dead, to a lesser extent, that is also true for electrical. Not the fact that it is being stored and not used per se, but just time in general allows corrosion to build up, increase resistance, and cause ground and heat-related issues. The storage situation could also involve rodents with a taste for olive-oil based wiring insulation:laugh:

Engines in good operating order won't seize up in dry storage. Engines that are left outside for years, or had head gasket problems that let water into the cylinders, are more prone to seize due to the bare metal surfaces inside losing their protective coating of oil.

I bought a car that sat for over 10 years in a garage for $200. Not running. Quite clean and rust free. Owner was tired of repairing it it all the time. Points were bad (it was a '78) so I converted it to a Bosch electronic setup and drove it for many years.

I think the "ran when parked" terminology is an abused term used by sellers to close the door on liability for not disclosing whatever is wrong with the car.

Back