Thank you

fireman3589

Low Mileage
This is my first post, and wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to the timing belt threads and the wiki posts. I broke a timing belt on my way home and took me a while to figure out that I had stripped the teeth off my belt at the crank. After I got it all together and went for the maiden start, and nothing worked. Kept getting 9.3 and 10.4 volts like a switch over and over. Tore the car apart tracing all my wires from the ignition back to battery. So I decided to swap batteries and my ground wire fell apart. I am just paraphrasing the days I spent finding this problem, but here is a pic of what I found. FYI the car started right up and was only off a few degrees on the timing. If anyone needs pointers on how to do the timing belt disassembly with the motor in, I can do that! Awesome group,and thanks again!
6780abcc8bdeddd649e48a924464d2f0.jpg

Oh my... I have never seen just a CLEAN CUT as...

that one.

About 100 years ago I took a torch to my cables and melted solder into the terminal ends because I was dropping voltage due the resistance caused by vibration and age.

I've seen them fray and come apart and also disintegrate with acid but never a clean cut.

I also spent three weeks chasing a no charge issue testing the starter and battery and alternator with a PRO and the rest of the time chasing the + wiring. A LOOSE ground strap between the Trans and Chassis... Cleaned and tightened that one up and added a second one up top between the cam cover and the chassis so I'd never haveta face that problem again!

Welcome aboard... glad you found this and shared!

Dielectric grease

I spent an entire day with my Demel tool and a wire brush cleaning ALL the grounds removing paint and putting dielectric grease on all the connectors and cleaning all my ground cables. And doing the brown wire mod fixed a lot of small electrical issues I had, but this one stumped me for a while. :eyepop:

Back