Car transport damaged my X1/9! Australian

markx19

Mark Weinberger
Hi,

I recently booked with http://www.carcarrying.com.au to have my X1/9 transported from Melbourne to Sydney. During this transport the front was damaged from someone using the tow hook incorrectly at the wrong angle and bent the bumper into the body of the car see picture.

I gave them the quote i got to fix the car it was $1327.72. However carcarrying.com.au said they will only cover the repairs up to $1000.00. They had not even seen the car only pictures. They also told me i will need to pay a $600.00 excess so affectively they want to pay $400.00 total. They told me this was part of there terms and conditions. They failed to mention that they decide the total cost of repair regardless of what quote you give them

I was thinking the best way to handle this is to let others know of there terms and conditions so i put together a helpful website.
Please take a look at the full story http://www.carcarrying.tips
img_0018-400.jpg

Mark... I'm sorry to hear of this misfortune...

We have a court system here for minor civil matters called Small Claims and in CA it handles cases up to $5000... $3000 in some states.

We also have a BBB or Better Business Bureau that can help also. I can understand that some movers will only pay for a maximum and you can also purchase additional insurance to cover what they don't. Reputable shippers here even offer it. Reputable shippers VALUE their customers and there are also BLOGS and YELPS where people post their dissatisfaction as well.

But what appears to be REALLY WRONG here is this "excess charge" that suddenly "appears" now that you filed a claim. Was it part of the original quote or agreement or possibly something YOU missed? If not, pursue them in court if its worth your while.

Sorry again for this mess... Hopefully photos were taken BEFORE and here the OWNER has the option of where it is to repaired as long as its reasonable and usually 3 estimates will validate that. Step back from the money and just tell them to FIX IT!

Hope this helps and I motivated you. You'll not only help yourself... but the next guy as well.

I would pursue this issue.

Do you have any other insurance on the car, or a homeowners policy? Perhaps another policy you have provides coverage?

In the US, most auto insurance policies on daily driver cars have a collision component that covers damage from colliding with other cars, and have an optional "comprehensive" component that covers many types of damage that could be suffered by the car other than colliding with another car. Maybe your policy does something like that?

How did you pay for the car transport? Maybe the method of payment (say, a credit card) has some sort of power or influence over the company, or could provide some consumer protection in that the service you paid for (safely transporting your car from M to S) was not delivered in a satisfactory fashion.

Is there a consumer protection agency of the government that can be requested to step in you your behalf, for basically the same reason as above, you paid for a service you did not satisfactorily receive?

Do your local TV news channels do consumer protection segments where the reporter tries to intervene with the company on behalf of the consumer? If so, contact the reporters and tell them your story, they may decide it's something that would interest their viewership.

I'm still considering legal action, however letting others know via a dedicated website about there terms and conditions should be enough influence to possibly make them reconsider paying the full amount.

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately my insurance wont cover it and the credit card i used also wont cover it. Thanks for your suggestions. I have gone down the consumer law path and it could be a long journey. This website will provide more motivation and at a lower cost to me then pursuing it legally. Social Media is unforgiving and the internet never forgets.

big oops

I will stay out of this fray.
I seen to have to many opinions of what I think right and wrong
mikemo:whistle:

You big WUSS! And BTW... we are NOT giving any...

OPINIONS here, just SUGGESTIONS on courses of action that are KNOWN to be effective... (and like MOST FREE advice... worth every penny!)

HAHAHAHA!

owch!!

that hurt papa.
seeing that I had a few threads locked by my OPINION on my take on things, I am afraid I might have to keep looking out my front window awaiting that dreaded long black sedan full of you and some goombas to take me for a "ride":shock:
mikemo

HA?

ok papa

my two cents.
as a renter many years ago I was prompted to take photos before I moved in, but felt that would be starting on a bad foot with the landlord, at best they would think I am anal with details or,a bad tenant.
but.....he should have been there for the install on the trailer and documented the car before and after delivery. and checked with them the liability that would be covered.........
and.... how many teeth the drive might be missing:nana:

HA
mikemo

FWIW, the one time I put my car on a transport truck I did a walk around with a video camera AS it went on the truck. That one went all the way to Portugal (Dan here knows ALL about that nightmare) it made it unscathed though "dirty" I was told. I miss that little Midget.

Back