Buying and driving home >100 miles, suggestions?

Henway

True Classic
Taking the coaster to pick up my first exxie on Thursday in Costa Mesa. Will be driving it back to San Diego, which is about 100 miles. Dealer says he's gone through it and done a full tune-up (new points, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, alternator belt, and used mass air flow sensor) and that it drives great and has passed smog with really low particulates.

Should I bring anything specific with me? Tools? Battery cable? Gas can? Other things hand-carryable on the train?

Secondly, is the Chilton manual worth the money? I'm getting an '81, so it's on the tail end of the book. But is the manual so unspecific about other Fiats that it's not worth the time? I'm the kind of guy who pays attention to torque specs :shock:

Other suggestions? No history on car, so I'm thinking a timing belt change is in my immediate future....

100 miles?

AAA is your friend.

Get a membership (it's instant via aaa.com) and carry your cell phone.

If the car stops, call AAA and tell them you need a tow home.

Best preventive money you can spend. Ask me how I know. :)

I've even got the more expensive Premier RV and motorcycle AAA for the past 5 years.... So got that one down.

What to bring...

Probably all will go well! The again, it is a FIAT.

I'd call the seller and ask if there is a jack, tire iron and spare with the car. If you don't know if its leaking anything, I'd bring a quart of oil and an empty gallon jug (you can fill it with water when you get there and throw it in the trunk). Overheating is probably your greatest concern.

oh and AAA.

Ed

Only 100 miles?

Well I guess the normal advice of "bring the title and air fare" doesn't really apply. :)

Good luck with your trip!! :thumbsup:

Secondly, is the Chilton manual worth the money? I'm getting an '81, so it's on the tail end of the book. But is the manual so unspecific about other Fiats that it's not worth the time? I'm the kind of guy who pays attention to torque specs :shock:
You can buy reprints of the factory service manual from several of the Fiat vendors, including Chris Obert (Fiat Plus) and Midwest Bayless.

There is also the Haynes manual, which I would consider a supplement to the factory manual. I use it mostly because it has a different set of pictures than the factory manual.

The factory manual does not have wiring diagrams, so you may want to buy that separately. You can find a copy of the 80 - 81 Electrical Diagnostic Manual here. Big file.

Also explore the Wiki here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manuals

Buy them all! If you plan on working on your car, or owning it for any length of time they area fundamental items. The more information the better and the more pictures the better. I do most of my own work but there are areas like rebuilding a transmission or pressing on wheel bearings that I prefer to have a more experienced mechanic due. I look at it this way. There is a penalty if you make a mistake and must remove a major components. Most other things are a learning experience. I am not too far from Chris Obert`s place in Santa Crus so he is my mechanic and I trust his ability on areas that I am not comfortable doing myself.

Taking the coaster to pick up my first exxie on Thursday in Costa Mesa. Will be driving it back to San Diego, which is about 100 miles. Dealer says he's gone through it and done a full tune-up (new points, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, alternator belt, and used mass air flow sensor) and that it drives great and has passed smog with really low particulates.

Should I bring anything specific with me? Tools? Battery cable? Gas can? Other things hand-carryable on the train?

Other suggestions? No history on car, so I'm thinking a timing belt change is in my immediate future....

Congrats on the buy - both of my exxies were long distance buys (Phoenix and San Jose) and the return drives have their share of fond memories ;) Neither of them broke down however, and now I feel confident enough to drive long distances without worry. So far the '74 has been to Laughlin, NV and Van Nuys, plus numerous other 100 mile trips around OC and LA.

Did you buy the one thast was for sale at driven.co? It looked very clean and well cared for. Check all the fluids before you go, air up the tires, keep ypur AAA card handy, and enjoy the adventure. :thumbsup:

Put the afore mentioned Electrical diagnostic manual on your phone, along with any other downloadable stuff, then just wing it. It's an adventure.

I think this is the new X , purchased out of Anaheim.

I thihttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Other-Bertone-/171832236362?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2801ffd94a&item=171832236362nk this is the new purchase;

I bought an 86 FI X in San Diego back in 09 (I was in San Francisco). Didn't run and hadn't ran in many years. I took a gamble the issue was the fuel pump, so I ordered one, some fuel lines and had the parts shipped to the sellers house. Bought a one-way, installed the fuel pump, fuel filter and replaced some suspect fuel lines. Drove it over 500 miles home the next morning. Not a single issue.

You will have no issues but lots of fun :)

Yep, you got it, it was the car at Driven.co
Now I know ya'll are paying attention to eBay all the time!

Congrats... San Diego is all DOWNHILL from Costa Mesa...

For some reason this link fails and you haveta input the number again in the search column to see the specifics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171832236362

The sound on the video sounds really good... and I think the price was fair. It has a few issues cosmetically but they all do and it'll give ya something to do as well.

We have a few folks down that way you may wanna get to know... but as others have said... with the AAA Premium account you are set to go with no worries.

I keep a load of spares with me and that includes chains... and I have single-handedly kept sleet and snow away from SoCal for the last 30 years.

Welcome to the dark side... I would assume this is your first X1/9 and kinda like Meth... one you try it yur hooked for life.

I just talked to Charlie. And talked about SCCA. Where's the good meth when you need it? :eyepop:

Since none of the links seem to work, go to eBay, click on "completed sales" for X 1/9 and the silver one at Driven.co is mine. Looks super-clean with only petty (!) bubbling at the bottom of the windshield.

Need another X - sniff, sniff, need another X....

For some reason this link fails and you haveta input the number again in the search column to see the specifics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171832236362

The sound on the video sounds really good... and I think the price was fair. It has a few issues cosmetically but they all do and it'll give ya something to do as well.

We have a few folks down that way you may wanna get to know... but as others have said... with the AAA Premium account you are set to go with no worries.

I keep a load of spares with me and that includes chains... and I have single-handedly kept sleet and snow away from SoCal for the last 30 years.

Welcome to the dark side... I would assume this is your first X1/9 and kinda like Meth... one you try it yur hooked for life.

....was that another X over there, gotta have it , got have it:excited::excited:

I've never seen someone so ready for REHAB in such a...

short time. Don't you have a business to run and a family to feed?

I'd say an INTERVENTION is called for immediately. One would think you have enough to do with the one or two you already have...

Back