Question: Glovebox Hinge

RJH

True Classic
On my old X the left glove box hinge was detached when I bought the car used. Is this a common problem on all X's?

Mine was great up until two years ago.. finally broke.

I used epoxy to repair it - a slow set epoxy is the best option. If you have all the bits, make a V-groove in the crack and repair it with the epoxy. You'll need to have it out of the car to do this.

I know there are some repair solutions out there. It's a bad design, but can be fixed and made better.

Common Problem I hear

my '84 had a cracked hinge - two part epoxy clamp - did the trick - the hardest part as I recall was re installing the door - I believe you need four hands and fingers the size of a new born, good luck

I agree

I agree with the four fingers the size of a baby. I had to get my magnet out dropped the bugger three times into my fuse box so after the first time I just lowered the fuse panel:) then I thought needle nose pliers worked like a champ sometimes in life you just run like a bull head on into a wall and then sometime you think out od the box and wala things work out go figure...

Best Brian

Yep... just ONE of many self-destruct mechanisms...

you'll find engineered into this car. HA! Thank God the GOOD things outweigh the BAD!

Even after I fixed mine TWICE I still managed to break the left hinge as I opened the lid either too fast or too far. I gave up and use Velcro now... and pull the damn thing off when I wanna get in there. I never could see anything in there anyway.

Another helpful item though is a center console you can find at Henk's and Matt's and others and makes it nice to rest your arm on as well as store stuff.

You just need to stick to 74-78

You just need to stick to 74-78 if you want a glove box that doesn't bust a hinge when you use it. :)

IM001904.jpg

Yeah Jim... but I have a fuse box with an automatic...

Fuse Ejector located there...

Just twist two Dzus fasteners and it drops down and ejects all the fuses for ya... HA!

Only for you lucky LHD X owners.......!

......You just need to stick to 74-78 if you want a glove box that doesn't bust a hinge when you use it. :)

IM001904.jpg

...it has always puzzled me why Fiat didn't design a neat glovebox for our 74-78 RHD X's. :hmm:
All we got was a poxy little plastic pocket-thingy beside your RH leg.

cheers, Ian - NZ

Because Ian, not only does God not approve of you...

but God and FIAT don't condone YOU or YOUSE GUYS driving on the wrong side of the road. That's why they call the right side of the road... THE RIGHT!

We never saw a glove box in our series ones in Australia... something to do with passenger safety and our Australian Design Rules (ADR's)

Ian, if you want to retro fit something to your series one, then a glovebox from a 124 AC/BC will do the job... but you won't have the lock mechanism in the middle of the crash pad.

SteveC

Steve, retro-fit glovebox......!

.....if you want to retro fit something to your series one, then a glovebox from a 124 AC/BC will do the job...

Hi Steve, what's involved in this mod?
Does it mean a total removal of the current dash, and replacement with the 124 dash? :eyepop:
Or can the 124 glovebox be somehow retro-fitted in to the present dash?
Having no glovebox in the X is the ONE major pain in the ass with my car!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Ian,

no, just find a glove box from one of those early model 124's and you will find it looks just like the glovebox as fitted to the pre 78 X19's in other parts of the world... simply fit under your existing dash, but you won't be able to lock it as the lock mechanism is part of the crash pad assembly. If you want a used and pretty cheap124 glovebox I have a few spares, PM me.

Tony, so that's why we are RIGHT hand drive... 'cos it's just right that way!
Sitting on the left has always seemed so sinister... (that's a pun)

SteveC

Ohhhh, is THAT why, Tony???......

......but God and FIAT don't condone YOU or YOUSE GUYS driving on the wrong side of the road.......

Hey buddy, you are pretty close to God, ain't ya?? :angel:
Next time you are havin' a quiet chat with him, ask him to come up with sumthin' that makes it easy for EVERYONE, will ya!
Hey, I know - why don't all car drivers in the world drive down the MIDDLE of the road - that makes it fair for everyone! :nuts:

cheers, Ian - NZ

HA! Now that's an idea that escaped me...

You blokes try it first... let me know how it works out.

Good jostling with ya.

Steve, Ian... back in about '63 my family and I...

took a trip to New Zealand to visit friends my Dad had met and served with in the South Pacific. Harry Lane's (Lane's Hosiery) son Richard and I were about a year apart and I had been driving LEGALLY for about 6 months... but had been practicing since I was 11. So...

Richard, Richards friend Kady, my brother and I take off for the store to get some stuff for his Mom in the family's little 1600 Ford Cortina. Alas... they prodded me to drive on the way home and were having a ball hassling me as I struggled to shift gears with my left hand and make proper right and left turns. As we went up hills I took a running start and downshifted halfway up the next and then FLOORED it to go down to the next so we could make it up the other side... just like I had seen Richard do. I also tended to want to stay on the RH side of the road and they had to constantly remind me to move to the LEFT!

What a riot... and I believe there were a few flagons involved as well.

It was on one of these hell-bent downhill runs they reminded me we needed to turn RIGHT at the intersection at the bottom of the hill... and I started gravitating to the right towards a nice sweeping turn... like an off-ramp. Only this was the ON RAMP to the road I was coming down and with all the commotion and screaming and laughter, and a car coming the other way... I oversteered to the left and then oversteered to the right just as I hit gravel in the meridian and spun around 360 degrees... Still moving, I slam the stick into second and made the right turn... accelerating in the direction we wanted to go as if nothing happened.

There was now SILENCE all around me...

They were never really sure if that 360 was on purpose or not but I never got to drive again for the duration of my stay! HAHAHA!

you'll find engineered into this car. HA!

Repaired mine twice as well. Now my passengers are BANNED from closing the glove compartment. They may open it, get what they want but I, and only I, close it. Both times it cracked it was a heavy handed passenger slamming it shut with enough force to rock the car. I've never understood why it must look like something that needs to be slammed hard to close properly....

Back