BB 4RE is mine

As a (retired) yachtsman

I appreciate the detailed story.
I knew some of it but you sure summed it up nicely.
Thanks,

No kidding? I sailed hot-rodded small craft...

a Banshee 13, a Prindle 18, and a Hobie 11 for the kids...

I got my start in Boy Scouts in home-built 8' Sabots... I have sailed rentals up to a 39' O'Day... but my 3 years 10 months and 11 days in the US Navy... I never served aboard a ship! BTW... A yachtsman NEVER retires...

And you?

Last edited:
friggen

tony, papa tony.....where do you store this plethora of info??
I have seen a few pics of you and your head isn't THAT big:nana:
how about the true meaning of the actual f##k. (sorry moderators) but this is kinda fun
maybe you were around then papa, but having sex outside the marriage or single, they had "stocks" that you had your hands and head sticking out in the town's main square with the infraction carved above for all the townspeople to see. thievery, witchcraft, etc...
but it was to time consuming to carve For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, so the made an acromion to hurry the process of the shaming of so accused.
ask me about testify and it's roots:excited:
mikemo

Nautical Terms

OK, if we are going down the road of explaining how nautical life leaked into the English language, here are a couple of more for you:

Scuttlebutt - as in "what's the scuttlebutt? a phrase generally accepted to mean what's the rumor mill saying or what's the "water cooler" talk around the office saying.

In old English, a Butt was a barrel and a Scuttle was a hole cut into the barrel for access. Every sailing ship had a large barrel of drinking water strapped to the mainmast. This barrel had a hole (or scuttle) just large enough to fit your hand and a ladle. Every day, sailors and passengers would convene around the water barrel to get their daily ration of drinking water and naturally, share the ship's going-ons with each other. Very much like the water cooler office talk of later years. Hence the phrase "what's the scuttlebutt?"!

By and Large. Now here's a common phrase people use all the time but never real know what it means. Most people use to mean something all encompassing, or like everything taken into consideration or in general. Its really a contradiction in terms though that comes from the days of the square masted sailing ships.

Sailing BY the wind means sailing at an angle into the wind. Sailing LARGE means the wind is abaft your beam (coming from behind) and thus pushing you forward. Sailing BY the wind was very challenging for square sailed ships, sailing large was much easier and preferred.

So the term BY and LARGE pretty much means from one end to the other or from one extreme to another.

I could go on as there are dozens if not hundreds of similar sailing terminology examples but I think I'll head home and get "three sheets to the wind" ! :)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/three-sheets-to-the-wind.html

Ed

three sheets it is!!

funny how you can be on a dedicated website and learn way more than you bargained for!!
BUCKLE DOWN LADDIE'S and keep 'em coming. arrrrrrgh mateys
mikemo

Obviously, you don't have enough to do Mike...

Kinda like me...

I understood (back then) it meant Fornication Under Consent from the King... as in PERMISSION to conceive children... not as an unlawful act.

(Think about that one...)

But what the hell do I know, I flunked Carnal Knowledge 101 back in the day... But Snopes discredits them ALL...

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms

I'll let you find that one for yourself...

How 'bout one more... "GUN DECK the logs..."

Ships usually have several decks... the MAIN deck is always considered the top deck that goes fore and aft, and to port and starboard... to the extreme ends of the boat or ship.

The Gun Deck was usually just BELOW the Main Deck and housed all the guns and cannons and was only manned when Battle Stations were called.

When someone was supposed to be MAINTAINING a Ships Log or Journal... and failed to keep up... you would usually find them hiding in the deck below falsifying these documents.

The term was used throughout my short Naval Career as stuff like this was found everywhere... Kinda scary too...

Back