Woodward Dream Cruise (MI) - anyone going?!?

myronx19

True Classic
Hi all,

Anyone going this year to the Woodward Dream Cruise on Aug 15th? I've been there before, with an "American'ish" car back in 2006 (brought a black 2005 Holden Ute SS VZ) - met up with Brian and Paul. I'm thinking of going with my X1/9, not sure if it's even appropriate to bring an Italian car! lol..

Any other guys in the Michigan and area going? or Canada??

Is there an import area? Italian car area? I googled, but not much pops up.

http://www.woodwarddreamcruise.com/

How did a Holden get to the US?

Hi Myronx19
There must be a story behind a Holden SS ute ending up in Detroit. How did you end up with the car in the US?

Dishy

Well... in the first 5 pages of 64 with 21 photos...

on each page... out of the first 115 cars... I count THREE foreign makes.

Sponsored by CHEVROLET with some PONTIAC stuff... well, if there were another foreign car show in the area I think I would go to that. But hey... we plan to bring 4 or 5 X1/9's to a HOT ROD show on 8-22 in El Segundo. Its never too late for HOT RODDERS. CUSTOMIZERS, RICE BURNERS, YUPPIES and RAT RODDERS to learn what Italian Ingenuity and true SPORT cars are all about!

(Note: Italian and Ingenuity both start with the letter "I"! Sharing stuff like this can make you the hit of any party, Bar Mitzvah or wedding!)

HA!

Perhaps you can disguise your car to look like this 2013 participant. Bantam body, Injected Chevy, bent Ford frame... and it looks like a British Anglia front grille shell! It says Royal Kustoms on the door but obviously it was a HOT ROD and not a CUSTOM at one time, and now it is a freshly built or rebuilt and CLEAN, RAT ROD. Its obvious that even some owners don't know what the hell they are driving... HAHAHAHA!

Hey... it wouldn't stop me from going! Have a great time and send PICTURES... I love most anything that MOVES (organically or otherwise)!

Last edited:
Well Dishy, I drove it from Canada! I didn't realize that the LS1 engine in that thing was made here in Canada. We brought it in for work, and drove it for a few years. Quite wild, and quite fast! And funny enough, I wasn't the only one with a Ute at the cruise that year. GM had one as well, converted to LHD.

*Paul - got it, thanks.

Ha, you're right, Tony. It's primarily a Detroit iron kind of show. It is quite the event, and I don't think there's anything else quite like it anywhere.

I took tons of pics in 2006, even got the T-shirt... literally! I look forward to going again this year if it doesn't rain.

Consider this....

It is estimated that 40,000 cars will participate in the event. If just 3% of those are "foreign" that is still 1,200 cars. More than you will see at most any other car event.

There are parties abound. Just around the corner from the people that traditionally host a Fiat/Triumph Club party there is even a guy that has a TVR party. FCA will have a big display at 13 Mile Road again and there is a Fiat dealer up by 15 Mile that supposedly keeps spots open for Fiats to park.

Guaranteed that you will see something that you either have never seen before or you will see something that you have not seen in a long, long time.

Those who get the most out of the event are like Tony and love anything with wheels. If your appreciation of cars is dependent upon its country of origin well, you probably aren't really that into cars to begin with in my book.

Myron, if you come on Friday, my adopted hometown has the kick-off event which is a Friday evening parade. There are parties through out the neighborhood and actual cruising is more plausible. Here is a link to a video of the parade a few years back. As an example of the variety, at 11:20 there is a Lomax in the parade! It is the only Lomax I have ever seen! The VW microbus at 22:00 is ridiculous! Check it out::thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=696&v=UPG_vg-SrWo

Back