Buying and driving home >100 miles, suggestions?

Another addict

Don't make me drive up there and smack you Paul. :)

motivator.jpg

Along those lines Jim... "INCONCEIVEABLE" was...

NOT exactly what my wife said...

Z
2Q==

when she saw this...

"It took 20 years to get rid of that damn thing and now its back!"

I saw that too and think I mentioned it the last time...

it was up for sale... Geez Loueez...

Hey Brad... Hope you and Travis are well!

I see more than 20 years ...

between those two photos Tony. More like 40+ Ha!
Hey!, where's my $20 you owe me? :no:

Dang it

I'm always late to the party, Tony. We're doing well - including Trevor - and hope this finds you and the Missus in good health and cheer!

Regards,

Brad

I bought and drove

half across the US, with great help from our proverbial savior - papa Tony.
Hardly any problems on the way.
Good luck.

Good catch Bob... We had the "T" for 19 years...

(not 20) when I sold it to a retired Telco employee by the name of Christy Potter. Christy kept me in the loop and registered it for the street after another 11 years... died three years later... and I can only assume the family sold or donated it to the Automobile Driving Museum.

When I tripped over it... it was 46 years from when the first foto was taken.

The $20 bucks you still owe me I sent to you Paypal account... go our and stand by your mailbox.

Good news:
It made it 101 miles in heavy traffic of me having to shut it off every once in a while and coasting down hills off.

The bad news:
I live 107 miles away. :eyepop:

As it got to 240F I pulled over and shut her off (because idling wasn't helping) and after about 90 seconds of being off she blew off a fair amount of fluid up and through the rain vent. I HATE the smell of rad fluid. Called AAA, took an hour or so with horrendous traffic to get towed home. After getting home I started her up and revved her after it had been more than an hour and no white smoke. Fingers crossed. Found a split in the hose from the bottom of the rad catch vessel to the thermoblock. Not much liquid was gone--it was still 60% full.
I have a new radiator in my future. And probably a new thermostat since it was near 190 for about 70 of the miles.

I'm sorry to read that, hopefully it was just a cracked hose. Now that she's in the garage it's time to do a thorough once over with all the hoses, and thermostat replacement.
Keep us updated on your progress!

Loosing coolant

Loosing coolant is expected now and then in these old angels, so -
1. I always keep a healthy supply of water in the trunk, even a sixpack of
1 liter drinking water.
2. If you loose coolant, refill and drive with the water cap released. This will prevent further leak, untill you get home.

Mr. Henway... congrats on your new baby...

If you blew one hose... and others are of the same vintage... it would BEHOOVE you to replace them all.

Price a kit from Vicks, Midwest Bayless and Fiatplus... others have used ebay as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331204113208?lpid=82&chn=ps

I believe the ebay kit is missing ONE small hose.

As for the radiator itself... you'll need to drop it to install new hoses anyway but I would pressure test the system first to insure there are no other leaks.

You probably SHOULD take the radiator to a PRO and have them flush and clean and repair anything it needs... But I did that myself (carefully) with pool acid and hose pressure. Details upon request.

190 is about the PERFECT operating temp with a 180 degree stat. Your fans should cycle on and off and maintain this temp as well, even on the HOTTEST days. Since the system has been stressed, I would replace the stat and possibly the cap while you are at it. Stant has them locally (cap 11329 or 10329... stat 45378) for less than $20 bucks.

Do make sure you use the right T-stat gasket or MAKE one to cover any little holes going into the head. Details upon request.

Pressure testers are available on loan from AutoZone and others...

And as Herzel said... I carry a 1 gallon jug of water in one of the rear trunk pockets along with jumpers and a small tool box with some spares... and I never have to use them unless I leave ANY of them at home. I keep snow chains in there as well... HA!

Keep in touch... send MORE CLOSE-UP fotos and possibly (probably) we can help!

Back