Fiat 124 Coupe

driedle

Low Mileage
Hi everybody!

The coupe is getting a new headliner right now...

I do have another question. Several (lots) of the front and rear window trim clips have disintegrated on my coupe.

Several folks have mentioned a number of different ways to secure them. Folks have suggested urethane and other adhesives.

Since this car will be going away, I would actually prefer the next owner to determine what steps should be taken. Chris Obert has the clips available, but of course the rub here is that the glass has to come out, and no one here really wants to do it...they don't want to be responsible in case the break either piece.

One thing that has been mentioned is using Dum Dum to put everything in place. This suggestion is by a muscle car guy, so...

Anyone have any experience with this?

The headliner should be done before the Freak Out in Detroit, so I am thinking of taking more pictures and heading down there. ( A day with old Fiats sounds really enjoyable here!)

David Riedle

So of course the right thing to do is the right thing to do...

The fit of the trims is dependent on the tension provided by the clips.

I wouldn't glue/silicone them in, I have seen the results of this and it isn't pretty.

Dum Dum (butyl rubber) seems reasonable as seems it can be removed without destroying the surrounding paint.

Ultimately someone will want to properly replace the clips. I don't recall the windows having to come out as they are mounted on the sides to a raised post not on the bottom of the framing.

Karl:

I agree. I didn't like the idea of adhesive...would work fine, but if you ever had to change the glass...

I may pick up some Dum Dum and do a little testing.

I have the door window channel ordered, should be here soon.

Trunk weatherstripping might be 10 days or so later.

Planning on having the timing belt changed when the car comes back with a new headliner. That way I can move it around without the possibility of breaking the timing belt and damaging the head. It should also make it more desirable for a new owner.

Guess I am going to finish it before selling.

Dave Riedle

I am pretty sure the clips don't require removal of the glass. I forgot to gander at my manuals at my other house so...

Perhaps Chris Granju could tell for sure.

Karl:

According to Chris Obert and Robert from the Fiat 124 Coupe registry it does.

I think that I may order a couple up to experiment with. I wonder if I shorten the post if I might be able to slip the clip in place.

Worth a try. Thanks!

Dave Riedle

David guaranteed, you need to remove glass first before removing /mounting the trim clips, front & back.

The clips you are referring too that orbert sells actually they are not OE clips for the coupe. They are a generic clip for some Mitsubishi or Dodge car or truck. They do do the job BUT you need to grind flat one side ( they do not just mount as is & work) plus only will work on the front trim. The rear clips OE are smaller then the front.

No no, do not attempt to shorten the post giving room to slide the new clips on. Will not work because the post is shaped as a nail head & removing the head will give the clip nothing to anchor on! Plus you are to close to the glass & "could" chip an edge cracking the glass.

Winshield clips for coupes

Dodge D50 clips work pretty well, they are plastic like the Fiat one. They can be changed with out disturbing the glass, carefully!

Chris
Oakland, ca.

Like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Dodge-C...ash=item3f5ca5158a:g:0usAAOSwd4tT4SAd&vxp=mtr

s-l225.jpg

Wow thank you Chris, greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have pics or a drawing of the OE clips anywhere? I could see a partial profile of the clip in my manual but no front view of the part.

We have a nylon printer at work now so I could possibly replicate an original one.

oooh...that's a very helplful link. anyone have a ballpark idea what multiple of 14 one may want for a 124 Coupe?

I'll snap some pics tonight

I have pulled the front trim/windshield off one of my coupes, and can snap some pics of those. I'll see what I can do for the rear ones.

Pics of front windshield clip

Sorry the pics are kind of dark. It's a fairly complicated piece. It would be great to have ones printed in nylon as they need to have some flexibility. I can send one to you as a sample if you want to give it a try.

These don't look anything like mine. Mine are small blocks that go between the glass and body. These look like they stand proud.

What year coupe are these photos of?

Dave Riedle

1972 BC

These should be OEM as the windshield appears to be the original. They go over the little studs that are around the edge of the frame. You can see the in the opening that they go over the stud and then slide/snap into place.

Back