Piston - Cylinder Clearance

WildWilly

True Classic
Hi guys.... My engine builder has the block stripped and has started getting the bores ready for the new pistons. He does have a question that I can't answer. How much clearance from the pistons to the bores? He's thinking a few thou, but we all want to be sure. 3/1000's of an inch? 5/1000's of an inch? What say the masters of all things X? As always, thanks.

I guess I should add that its a 1300 engine:)

Last edited:
many thanks.

I'll print those few pages and bring them in. I think this might be for a 1500, but I'm sure its the same for the 1300. Hopefully, others will chime in and confirm. Thanks...

As the online manual says ... 0.030 - 0.050 mm (*)

(*) measured 27.5mm down from the crown (borgo pistons) or 20mm (Mondial pistons) (this footnote is in the X19 five speed shop manual)

SteveC

Just for more info - 1300 section

I scanned the similar section from my 74-78 shop manual so you can compare the specs. The last page is a little crooked, but has all the info. :)

1300page43.jpg

1300page44.jpg

1300page45.jpg

What I have seen

If you are building a stock engine and keeping it that way go for the min. Clearance. But if you are changing a camshaft, upping the compression, changing anything to obtain more performance then I would go to the higher side of the spec.

This engine bakes back there and pushing it causes the clearance to shrink up just a bit too much and scoring can occur in the bore. Pushing the hell out of the engine is a blast, but then getting stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day, isn't for this engine with tight fitting bores.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back