A/C ducting in frunk

X Due

Daily Driver
I'm looking at photos of an early 1980 that, based on the dashboard, does not have A/C. However, it does have the ductwork or cover, whatever it is, along the lower right side side of the frunk floor.

The car is supposed to be dead stock and all original. Would there be any reason for this piece in the frunk other than A/C?

It covers the wiring harness

It is probably a fuel injected car. When Fiat came out with the fuel injected models, the wiring harness to the front was changed from running down the upper left side of the frunk to the right side at the bottom. There is a plastic cover that protects the harness from damage. The AC models also have a plastic cover but it is much larger to cover the hoses, dryer, and the wiring harness.

Wire Chase

That's covering a bundle of wires (Headlights, Turn signals, Horn, Fan, Temp Sensor, other?) that passes through the trunk on its way to the front of the car. It belongs :)

Last edited:
It's an early '80 N/A car. The cover is the same large one that I've seen on A/C cars. Is this just for wire routing?

My 85 has that cover

My 85 is a non-AC car and has that cover in the frunk. I had to go look because I could not remember if it had it or not. :)

85's cover:
IM003189.jpg

I had a non-AC 79 years ago that did not have any cover there, but had the electrical harness running along the left upper edge of the frunk's tub. (US driver's side)

The 79's frunk:
IM001751.jpg

IM001750.jpg

I also had a non-AC 86 that had a hump in the frunk carpet where that cover was most likely installed:
IMG_0593_s.jpg

My '79 is as yours, wiring on left.
They must have started with the one cover for all cars in '80, whether they were A/C or not.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Back