New Zealand Bertone X1/9

markx19

Mark Weinberger
Hi,

Anyone out there in NZ have a Bertone X1/9?
I was told a long time ago you had 150 of them.

Hmmm, dunno about 150 X1/9's.....??

......Anyone out there in NZ have a Bertone X1/9?....I was told a long time ago you had 150 of them......

...about 3-4 years ago, an local X1/9 "enthusiast" carried out an owner survey of Fiat/Bertone X1/9's that were still identified as "currently registered" on the NZ Motor Vehicle Register.
From memory, the total number that showed up from his search was approx 60 cars only. (This total would NOT include X's that were being restored/undergoing major repairs, etc - these cars being identified as "on registration hold").
Back in the day (mid-1970's-early 1980's) when X's were at their most popular internationally, they were hellishly expensive :eek: here in NZ, because the Govt-of-the-day was protecting the local car assembly companies.
So import duties on fully-built cars (FBU's) i.e. X1/9's were extremely high. Consequently, you had to be mighty keen on owning an X1/9 to go through the process of importing one privately!

cheers, Ian - NZ

I HAVE REG PLATES FOR 4

Picked up a total of four old rust buckets when I rebuilt my last X1/9. Just picked up a 1977 in working order but sadly my stash of parts went with the last car.

Your probably correct, just seems to be no info or very few sales of X1/9 in NZ. Where do you look to buy them there?

What i'm trying to find is VIN's of NZ delivered X1/9's
I was over there around 88-89 and saw new ones at the dealers then so you must have some Bertone's around still yet none come up where ever i look.

Back