So I am tooling across New Mexico

LarryC

Curator of #10105275
from Roswell westward. Past Billy the Kid's town. Past Smokey Bear home town of Capitan. Middle of absolute nowhere, and dropping down into the valley with one of the largest young lava flows on the continent, Carrizozo, when I spot one of those strange chain link fenced compounds beside the road. You know the places. One of those places with the attached junk yard, several run-down buildings, and a look of abandonment about them probably manned by an escaped hippy complete with pony tail, coveralls, and cigarette. But I see this sign out front and am galvanized with the possibility that I have stumbled onto a hermit Fiat guru.

But then I realize my mistake. The wife actually spotted it. I just saw it as it is. I figured you guys would appreciate the irony.

Driving across New Mexico hearkens back to the days of wagon trains traversing the West. When two motorists see each other on a road, they wave. We've done it many times because I live in AZ and my Dad lives in TX. Route 9 through the south of NM is totally deserted, except for an occasional cow in the road. Good luck finding gas in a grade above 86, let alone flat or Fiat repair. :sad:

Back