Warning: mobile smog inspection

Coupefan

True Classic
Out in the Santa Paula, CA area today. Pulling into the Von's for a soda, didn't pay too much attention to the 'construction area' across the street. On the way out, realized it was a mobile smog inspection check point, equipped with its very own (very bored) CHP officer. I'm in my X today. The tech took a long look at me as I pulled out of the parking lot. Luckily, the 'entrance' to his lair was further back along the road.

I've seen them with a trailer-dyno as well!

Its a good thing too... as all the a$$holes texting and other idiots are free to wreak havoc while these good CHP's are busy field inspecting cars...

Your CA tax dollars at work!

In the 70's the CHP used to set up random road inspections for everything from headlights to smog. One time I was in my 56 Chevy pickup and got caught in a stop. Of all things the hose from the breather cap on the valve cover to the carb was loose. I slipped it back on but the *#% cop gave me a fix it ticket anyway so I had to go to a certified mechanic to have it marked off. Luckily I had a good friend that was such a person. I loved Cali when I lived there and still think it is great geographically but I don't miss all the rules and regs.

California has been talking about a mileage tax as far back as the late 70's if I remember right. Even earlier than that there was talk of putting meters on television sets.

All Talk?

I agree that at many times and many places there was talk of tracking to tax. The real difference is, that today the technologies exist to track anything or anyone.

"Far better that we track what government does that to have government do any more tracking than it already does". - Vincent M

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Vincent dba enzo mac

you can refuse to have your car inspected at the mobile testing center. It pisses them off, but so what? They have to let you go if you refuse

Rufuse to inspect

Hello Mark, I was curious if that was the case. I have seen the "inspection stations" several times and was glad I missed getting pulled in. I later searched the refusal issue and found nothing. Makes sense however, without "probable cause".
Bob

It is possible some lawyer type will bring up illegal search without a warrant without probable cause.

The entire smog check thing is much about getting old cars off the road and forcing folks to purchase a new car.. with all the problems and cost and more related to new cars.

If CARB was serious about clean air, they would be going after industrial polluters. They know individuals cannot challenge them on a political and legal level, so they bully the public at their whim.

Bernice

Hello Mark, I was curious if that was the case. I have seen the "inspection stations" several times and was glad I missed getting pulled in. I later searched the refusal issue and found nothing. Makes sense however, without "probable cause".
Bob

Around 1971 in California there was a mandate that all older cars have installed an aftermarket device that required the cutting of the radiator hose. It was a valve that opened and closed in relation to the water temperature. I think it opened and closed the vacuum to the pot on the distributor but I don't remember that much about them because I thought it was a crock at the time and spent the next several months avoiding CHP traffic stops like a fugitive from the law until it was decided that the device did not work the way it was supposed to and the requirement was rescinded. In the meantime somebodies brother in-law made some money off the sales of the useless pieces of junk.

Does Mark have a 24/7 hotline and a Bail Fund?

Do we call his usual number or is there a #911 thing... or maybe one of these pagers you where around your neck?

HA!

If I'm walking (and not driving) by one of these check points I may stop and anonymously ask what our rights are. I bet it can be googled also...

we certainly are ruled

by a lovely bunch of coconuts these days. If they're not grabbing for your wallet, they're looking in your front pockets for loose change.

I say run 'em out of the state on their high-speed rail.

I would pass one of these in the San Gabriel Valley at least once a month when they were setting up, about 5:30 AM, on my way to work. Always on the busiest streets and they'd run till late afternoon. I did get caught up in one once and just got waived through but I was in a newer car, 2008, so it probably didn't fit the type they were looking for. Had I been in my Jetta I would have been nervous. California is trying to kill older cars so we can just keep buying new. With all the cars on the road it astounds me that we don't have a safety inspection; even though your car can pass emissions doesn't mean it's safe to drive on public roads.

Bastards. Glad I don't live in CA.

My Volvo wouldn't pass any visual under hood inspection :grin:

null_zps0b82d4bb.jpg

If any of the SoCal locals get pulled over,

Tony's daughter is an attorney well versed in X 1/9 issues and will give a generous discount to Xweb members.:excited:

Mike

Back