Spec Clutches

Andy

True Classic
Does anyone have experience with this company?
http://www.specclutches.com/

I am seeking something better than stock for my 128 autocross car. I installed a brand new clutch last fall. After a rather easy season of autocross my clutch failed about 3/4 of the way through.

I am sure there are other extenuating circumstances that caused the failure, but as long as I have to replace it I would prefer to replace with a higher performance part.

Anyone please feel free to chime in, hold up on the failure mode I have not begun to troubleshoot yet.

It seems there are some good reviews...

...and some horrific reviews!

I'd be interested to know more too.

Cheers,

Rob

Maybe Use A 1500 Clutch?

Hi Andy, you could consider fitting a stock 1500 clutch and flywheel insread, with a 1300 ring gear on the 1500 flywheel, it fits inside the 128 transaxle bell housing.

I use Clutchnet.com clutch/pressure plate combo in the Booger. The clutch is a 4 puck solid unit with the Stage 3 pressure plate. Works great, and pedal stiffness isn't too bad.

BTW, do you have a 7.5" or 8.5" clutch? Reason why I ask, they sent the wrong setup (8.5) and it's been collecting dust.

I don't know.. my luck the 7.5.

It's a 1300 engine.... I never measured.

Thanks for the lead!

I did not have good luck with the Spec in my Audi. Didn't last very long, and would honor warranty when it was an obvious manufacturing defect.

I went with a Southbend on the Audi after that and was very pleased.

I have had very good luck with the HD Sachs unit on my various autocross x's over the years.

I di dont have good luck with Spec either. I used their Stage III+ setup. It didn't last much more than a year. I tried sprung & unsprung discs. The Pedal feel and chatter on take off was horrendous.

IMG_2352_zps2059a31c.jpg

IMG_2354_zpsd67f4f45.jpg

If AP Racing made a setup for the X, that's what I would buy for high output/agressive use - thats' what I put in the wagon to replace the Spec :)

IMG_2406_zps1204eba6.jpg

I had a Spec Clutch in my Passat for a year and it failed; replaced it with an OE Sachs. I've had Clutch Net products in all of my race cars and in two street cars and they've never let me down. Plus they are local so I usually just swing by and pick up my orders :)

Kevlar clutch made by Robin at Superior clutch.
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/2819/

Use one in the LeMons racer without fail or problems. Know LeMons racing with a 125+ Bhp at the flywheel motor is a LOT harder on the clutch than autocross duty. That abuse goes on for hour after hour after hour.

Use one in the street car, works fine there too.

Semi-metalic or puck clutches are not good at all as street clutches, abrasive on flywheels, pressure plates and more. They are old and not really desirable technology.

Bernice

Last edited by a moderator:
Back