New Member, Lots of work

Tin Soldier

Daily Driver
Hey folks, I just picked up a 1975 X from a freind for free. He was planning to make this into an electric X but got side tracked on a Voltswagon project and needed to make room, so he gave me this thing. Pretty rough on the oustide and the interior pretty much needs a full overhaul. However, he said that the previous owner rebuilt the engine and tranny as a hobby and was planning to do more, but never got a round to it. So I brought the X home this weekend and me and one of my sons tore out the carpet, removed the seats, and did a general cleanup on the thing.

We plan to fix the body (a little rust and couple dents), and really overhaul the interior. In the mean time we want to get the motor running and begin considering performance mods. Its the 1300 with no turbo or fancy carbs.

Quick question, if the starter solenoid clicks, but the starter doesn't turn, doesn't that mean the starter needs attention?

Thanks

It's a big ass battery from from F350 and it's got lots of cranking amps. So I think it's something else.

I might just pull the starter to see. I was reading about a seatbelt electical switch in the manual? Since the interior is pretty shot, I have little confidence in that switch actually working, but that fact that I have a click at the solenoid makes me think that's not it.

Thanks

Hey folks, I just picked up a 1975 X from a freind for free. He was planning to make this into an electric X but got side tracked on a Voltswagon project and needed to make room, so he gave me this thing. Pretty rough on the oustide and the interior pretty much needs a full overhaul. However, he said that the previous owner rebuilt the engine and tranny as a hobby and was planning to do more, but never got a round to it. So I brought the X home this weekend and me and one of my sons tore out the carpet, removed the seats, and did a general cleanup on the thing.

We plan to fix the body (a little rust and couple dents), and really overhaul the interior. In the mean time we want to get the motor running and begin considering performance mods. Its the 1300 with no turbo or fancy carbs.

Quick question, if the starter solenoid clicks, but the starter doesn't turn, doesn't that mean the starter needs attention?

Thanks
Before you yank the starter make sure there is a good ground between body and engine. There should be a braded copper strap connecting the two.

According to the thread below the seatbelt interlock was only on the '74, but may have snuck into very early '75s. It seems there was an override switch in the engine compartment if the interlock system is present.

Where in Eugene are you? I live in Cottage Grove but work in Eugene near Beltline and Hwy 99.

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/20134/

It's a big ass battery from from F350 and it's got lots of cranking amps. So I think it's something else.

I might just pull the starter to see. I was reading about a seatbelt electical switch in the manual? Since the interior is pretty shot, I have little confidence in that switch actually working, but that fact that I have a click at the solenoid makes me think that's not it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is in the seatbelt interlock it shouldn't click at all. You could run separate pos and neg wires from the battery directly to the starter to the starter and test it that way.

Starter?

When my father & I bought our X1/9, the previous owner mentioned that the starter was not working. That was about the only mechanical problem he noted. When we removed the starter and bench tested it, it seemed fine, but it sure wouldn't turn the motor over. The real trouble was that the pistons were rusted to the cylinder walls...:eek:

I hope that's not your trouble, too, but you may want to verify that the engine will turn over before you blame the starter.

Brian

similar story when I got my car, the PO had tried so hard to get it run he must have run that starter into the ground, you can take it out, open in up, clean it up, make sure the brushes move freely (mine were seized), check the solenoid (more taking apart and soldering involved)
Best to drop it, take it in for load testing at a GOOD shop FIRST, I had mine rebuilt by a shop this spring for $50, took him a couple hours, new brushes, new bushing, all good. I would never have bothered with it myself for that kind of money! Or replace for only a little more but let the OLD guys test it for you first.

Thanks everyone. Yes I should turn the engine over a few times by hand before assuming that the starter is not working. The PO supposedly rebuilt the engine so it ought to be fairly easy to turn.

Saginaw - I'm on River Road south of Beltline.

I'll check the ground for the starter. Could be the issue.

Free? From a friend? Well...

Hopefully he is still your friend after you dig into this... HA!

Welcome to the dark side... I haven't read all the other posts yet but just a few ideas about the starter.

1. Place the car in 4th gear and push it to prove the engine is free and will turn over.

2. Check the battery voltage to see that it is fully charged at 12.6v.

3. Find the ground strap on the LR of the car between the trans and the chassis, remove it, clean it and re-torque it tight to the body and trans.

I'll now read the rest and see what has come of your progress before I add any more.

BTW, there are a lot of enthusiasts nearby... you're in luck! Welcome again!

Back