Muffler issues - is block height my problem?

zonker

Just Another FIAT Freak
In the interest of getting my '74 ready to roll for BFI, I decided today was a good day to replace the muffler. A while back I purchased a '74 muffler on ebay for what was to be a 1974 style oem replacement muffler.

My car has an OEM left exit muffler and a 4310369 manifold ('74 dual outlet). I pulled the muffler down and tried to fit up the new muffler but things were not lining up :( It seems the manifold flange is too far to the right to line up when the muffler mounts are fitted.

That brings me ro a Q... What other X1/9 has a muffler that has a LH exit and utilizes the same style over/under muffler mounts? 1500 euro? 1300 euro?

Well for ****zandgigglez I removed the '74 manifold and trial fitted the 4392487 (1500 euro dual outlet) manifold I have in the garage.

It fits! The ebay muffler to the 4392487 manifold that is. And the brackets seem to be all in the right place... almost.

The bolt holes for the muffler mounts are not lining up, and the muffler does not seem to tuck up as cleanly as it should.

So... does this mean I have a 1500 euro model muffler? Is that the reason for the non-fitment of the mount bolts?

If so, what is the difference in height between the 1300 and 1500 blocks? I figure if thats the issue, then I need to shorten up the manifold to muffler pipes by that much to fit.

How much shorter is the block height from a 1300 vs a 1500?

Problems

I've had problems trying to fit the '74 1300 exhaust system to a 1500. I think it's because the 1500 block is taller. I got it to fit by re-drilling mounting holes. PITA.

My guess is that a Euro 1500 manifold, muffler, and mounting bracket (off trans) would fit a 1500 much better.

I've had problems trying to fit the '74 1300 exhaust system to a 1500. I think it's because the 1500 block is taller. I got it to fit by re-drilling mounting holes. PITA.

yes, there's an extra centimeter or so of height, and that's enough that a '74 muffler and the '74 exhaust manifold won't go on a 1500 block. Someone (Obert at FiatPlus, I think) did or does sell a '74-style muffler with a slightly longer downpipe, just to deal with this problem.

I found it easiest to make a spacer (stainless steel, 1/2" thick) to fit between the manifold and the downpipe flange. Use the flange gasket as a template for drilling two big and four little holes, and you're done. Only disadvatage is that I need two gaskets, one for either side of the spacer, instead of just one.

Doesn't sound like much of a "disadvantage" to me...

Sounds more like a great little inexpensive mod to make things work!

Unfortunately my problem is the opposite of being too short, so I need a reverse spacer to make it work ;)

This tells me then that this muffler might be one of those 1500 to '74 mufflers that was referred to earlier?

I wish I knew that when I bought it, mr. ebayer wherever you are :mad2:

But all is not lost... I took my muffler to Rico, my fave exhaust guy and he sectioned the header pipe for me, and now I'm going to trial fit the parts then return to have him weld them up.

20141021_072407_zps7f4e44a6.jpg

Rob,

So does this mean we can expect you at Bob Turchan's shop for breakfast and lunch over at Woodley Park for BFI? We're trying to nail down a headcount so we know how much food to bring. You coming alone or with additional folks?

Mike

yessir... gonna be there fer sure with one of the Fiats, hopefully the blue '74 if all works out over the next week.

Good news, Rob.

I gotta work on my turn signals that all of a sudden stopped working. I'm going to double check, but the fuse A seems ok and the flasher which operates both turn signals and hazard lights operates the hazards. After checking the fuse again, voltage at the flasher terminals, the next thing Tony suggested was the turn signal switch on the steering column. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be an easy one as I've got a lot to do preparing for BFI.

Mike

Back