'74 X1/9 being scrapped in Toronto

Hey Doug,

I stopped by there last night for some injector seals and had a look at the car. Wow, it's got a Faza 40/80 cam! sweet!

And yes, it's a 1500cc - it's a '79 block (has a blocked off EGR port). I wonder what kind of pistons it has.

So sad that it had to die like this - I'd LOVE to have a '74.. :( just not that rusty :)

engine

there are casting numbers in the block behind the manifolds.
128a is a 1300, and 138a is a 1500.
mikemo

Update

Hi folks.

Yes Myron, that block looked strange to me. I am sure too it is a 1500, but I saw a strange block-off plate on the lower rear side of the block, closer to the tranny. Looked like a fuel pump block-off plate to me ? But could not be that. My '81 FI block has nothing in that location. Are you saying that was some part of the EGR system found only on the carbed 1500 blocks ? How the heck does that work ??

And yes that X is sad to see in that condition. Dont think that is the '74 of your dreams....But at least parts of it will live on...

Stingray. The grill has been sold. But probably not the grill you are looking for anyways. The '74 only grill does not have the cut-outs for the bumper tubes found on the '75-'89 cars. If you are retaining the bumper tubes and going with euro bumpers or similar, you actually should use the '75'-'78 USA spec grill. But if you are chopping off the bumper tubes below the bodywork - and are filling bodywork over them - and are going with no bumpers, then yes you would be best to use the '74only grill.

Turn signals and rear chrome trim have now been sold.

The Stilauto wheels are gone. And will soon be gracing a Yugo...

But the ATS wheels are still up for grabs.

The twin sidedraft manifold is still available. $125 Canadian (about $96 US). Mikemo never responded so I guess he is not interested in it without the carbs.

Joe is still dithering about whether to start parting out the engine (Faza 40/80 cam and dual cast exhaust manifold) or to try to sell it complete with the 5 speed. I think he is going to see if the engine still turns first. We know no history of the engine, and still wonder what is inside - pistons, head ? Could well be a cool mystery engine to rebuild for someone who wants to take a chance with a surprise package LOL. Joe says he will decide by the weekend.

All other bits of the car are still up for grabs. If you need something that is not listed, just ask.

Thanks, Doug

Firewall insulation condition

Did you get a chance to look at the condition of the engine firewall insulation. Thanks

I saw a strange block-off plate on the lower rear side of the block, closer to the tranny.

That sounds like a later 14 bolt block. I have this port on my Uno Turbo block, it feeds water to the turbo. I don't know if this port exists on 14 bolt X blocks or not.

Intake manifold is tentatively sold to Tony.

The firewall insulation is in pretty rough condition.

And the block sure appears to me to be probably '79-'80 carbed 1500. For sure it had the 12mm studs on the rear side, so no way a 14 bolt block - they use 10mm bolts all round.

Steve. I asked Joe about the Marelli Plex ignition. The coil/module/finned part on the firewall sure looked pretty raunchy to me. But Joe says it fits some older Alfas or something and has huge value. Said he would not sell the complete distributor and coil/module for any less than $200 US. Given the condition, that seemed insane to me. And shipping to Australia would be very expensive (postal rates from Canada are very high). If you want just the distributor, maybe PM me and I will be happy to give you his email address. Maybe you can talk some sense into him LOL.....I'm done trying...

I looked at the engine - it's a 138 - specifically from a '79 because it has the bosses for the EGR valve.

It's a 1500.

Hi Doug,

Yes, I had a '79 which had the EGR mounted there. I believe it may have been water cooled, can't remember. I can't even remember what I did to that on my race engine (I used a '79, since I wanted M12 studs).

Ha, yes.. car is a little too rusty to save :( - but neat to see anyway, just for interests sake.

Hope to see you soon! I still want a few parts off of you, so we'll connect soon enough!

Oh - also, I am pretty sure that's a PBS manifold - nice one piece design. I had one on my race car. Well made, fits 45's on there quite nicely :)

Passenger window, interior door handles, rear view mirror, and shifter and boot are gone now as well. Thanks Joe.

Hi folks - I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU. My trim arrived exactly as described, maybe even better. It was thoughtfully and carefully packed as well.

Right on.

I have one you can have

It is a little rough, but free. I am going to Whittier, Ca. on Sunday if you would like to meet me. Steve * 209-3560764

Trunk lid crome 74X

Sorry I miss-posted. I have one that is a little rough but not bent. I thought you were in So. Ca. I will give it to you but I am going on vacation Sunday. Steve 2093560762

Hi folks - I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU. My trim arrived exactly as described, maybe even better. It was thoughtfully and carefully packed as well.

Right on.

I have to say the same. Got my turn signals yesterday in very good order--well packed and nicer than I thought they would be! Thanks for giving them a clean up too.

Great seller. Shame I couldn't save those Stilautos from being put on a Yugo. haha..

Back