Transmission whine normal?

Eastep

True Classic
We just picked up a certified preownd 2012 500 pop 5spd. The car just hit 23k and there is a whine to the transmission. It kinda sounds like my X1/9 or 91 Gti; not what I was expecting from such a modern car with so few miles. The power train is still covered under warranty. We are just curious if this is normal. I have only driven 2 other 500s one was an automatic and the other a pre production model.

I have a 2012 Abarth with no transmission whine. There is no synco into reverse on the 500s. This is the only problem I have ever had with my transmission.

I have owned both a 500 Prima and a 500 Abarth both with more than 30k miles and neither of them had a whine. The Abarth actually has a heavier duty transmission than the normal 500 but as Todd said, no noise...

Ed

Are you certain it is the transmission? My wife's 500 started to make a whining noise when the rear wheel bearing went. I've read complaints about wheel bearings failing as early as 30,000 kms.

We just picked up a certified preownd 2012 500 pop 5spd. The car just hit 23k and there is a whine to the transmission. It kinda sounds like my X1/9 or 91 Gti; not what I was expecting from such a modern car with so few miles. The power train is still covered under warranty. We are just curious if this is normal. I have only driven 2 other 500s one was an automatic and the other a pre production model.

No whine with my abarth BUT...the L has a strange whine I started hearing actually today, but not sure if it is the engine or the trani. Right now, the noise is only there in gear or with the engine at revs in gear or neutral.

NOT NORMAL - take it in and have the car checked, make sure there are no trani oil leaks, etc.,

In my experience, if you listen hard enough you will ALWAYS start hearing new noises. Radio upgrade is usually the least expensive solution.

:)

Ed

whine from tranny?

best to take it in and have it checked if under warranty. chances are they don't have any techs that are able to dissect the trans and most likely replace the whole thing.
mikemo

Back