'74 X1/9 being scrapped in Toronto

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Hi folks. A friend of mine up here is currently parting out a '74 X1/9. I went and saw it on Saturday.

It was complete but pretty rusty and had been sitting for many years. It was sad to see, but lots of interesting bits on it. The front grill was in good shape and I removed that. The front turn signals and lenses were good, but broken studs. No bumper blades on the car, just a couple of the rubber blocks. The bumper brackets were still there.

The car seems to have been modified over the years. Black seats from '79 or so. Dash was filthy but intact. Hole cut for radio but only one small crack that I saw. Instrument cluster looked okay.

Engine compartment seemed to be much modified. For sure it seemed to have a 5 speed tranny - I could see driveshafts with flanges. We assumed it probably had a matching 1500 engine, but I am not sure. Had a really funky carb system- dual twin barrel sidedrafts - Mikunis or maybe SK carbs with velocity stacks into the rear trunk. Dual outlet cast exhaust manifold with what once was a nice Ansa exhaust. The muffler was trash but the downpipes still looked okay.

Had a strange looking ignition on it - I think Marelli Digiplex or something.

And some nice ATS 5 spoke wheels - the ones that looked like Daytonas. 13 x 5.5". No curb rash or corrosion, but could probably use some paint.

If anyone out there wants some bits off it, let me know and I give you his contact info. He is not a member here, but I will invite him to join.

Doug

Interested in chrome trim piece on trunk lid

If this is a complete trim set go ahead and sell it to tdskip, I don't want to break up a good set.

If the rest is damaged/missing, I'm interested in the piece on the trunk lid.

74 x

I'd like to call dibs on the carb's and intake
mikemo
e mail me the price and freight to the SF bay area.
mikemo90"at"aol.com

Hi Mike. I will talk to the guy for you. The intake looked nice, and I think it looked to be an X1/9 specific one. The more common 128 one had a different angle. Looked to me like the carbs sat properly horizontal, but I would have to check again.

But...the carbs themselves were pretty crusty, as the car appears to have been sitting for quite some time. The carbs kinda looked like DCOE Webers, but I think they were actually maybe SK carbs - maybe Japanese ? I'm not sure if the carbs could be brought back to life. Think I recall the throttle shafts were seized when I tried to turn them. Had cool velocity stacks on them though.....

I'll see if I can get some pics for you. And see how much he wants. The car is NOT mine. Just passing this info along. Hope I can convince him to join the forum and answer all your questions directly. I get a good rate from UPS though, and could help you out with the shipping.

I'd love to have the front turn signals and boots......If you care to remove them and PM me.

If the front spoiler (the metal part that bolts in below the grille) is available and not totally trashed, I could use that too.

The car is NOT mine. Just passing this info along. Hope I can convince him to join the forum and answer all your questions directly. I get a good rate from UPS though, and could help you out with the shipping.

Thank you - we know you are making an extra effort to help others here.

Hi folks. My friend is not very computer saavy and has asked me to respond until he can figure out how to join the forum and post pics. But his asking prices so far are:

All prices in Canadian $ - note at current exchange rates $100 Canadian is about $75 US. So multiply Canadian prices below by about .75 to get approximate US $

Front grill - this is the later '74 style with the small solid sections in the upper corners. I recall it was in really good shape with no cracks or bits missing. All rear standoffs good except for part of one of the upper middle ones. Was filthy when I saw it so i dont really know how faded it is (they usually are). Asking $125

Front turn signals - I recall lenses (pure orange style) were good with no cracks. I think boots were good. We removed right side and found studs were missing. PO had just run screws right through into body. Left side still on car with studs intact. We got one lens screw out but other screw seems seized. Have not yet tried to unbolt housing from car. Studs will probably snap when we try. But studs are replaceable and available on Ebay. I will have to check if any pitting on chrome, but I think not too bad. Asking $100 for the pair.

Rear chrome trim. Seems to be 4 pieces - one on trunk lid and 3 below. Seems to be decent and undented. Not yet removed from car. We will have to try and figure out how to. Metal parts seem all good, but rubber part (dont know if it is bonded to chrome or seperate? ) seems crusty and hard. $30 each piece or $110 for all 4

ATS wheels. 13 x 5.5". five spoke design - kinda look like Daytonas. Made in Germany. No curb rash or corrosion. Dirty when I saw them - they may need to be painted. No centre caps. Asking $600 for all 4.

Side windows. For Clark LOL. Light green tint. $30 each.

Front spoiler was missing.

Intake manifold and carbs. As describe above. He is going to check on the condition of carbs and go from there.

More prices and parts as bits are removed.

All above available in Toronto for pick-up. Can ship anywhere - just ask for shipping quote.

Hopefully my friend Joe will figure out soon how to join the forum and post and answer any inquiries. He's a nice guy but not too familiar with X1/9s. He's an Alfa and Lancia Beta guy. Has lots of GTV6 and Alfa Spyder bits. Has lots of Alfa and Fiat and Lancia wheels. Even some new NOS (Momo I think) Beta wheels still in the Lancia boxes. Also a bunch of NOS new Fiat and Lancia parts. I recall seeing a new really strange looking thermostat assembly. The type with thermostat sealed inside. Not the Fiat twincam type. He thought it was for X1/9, but I think maybe Strada.

Thanks for looking. If you are looking for anything else '74 X1/9 specific, just ask. Doug

Rear chrome trim. Seems to be 4 pieces - one on trunk lid and 3 below. Seems to be decent and undented. Not yet removed from car. We will have to try and figure out how to. Metal parts seem all good, but rubber part (dont know if it is bonded to chrome or seperate? ) seems crusty and hard. $30 each piece or $110 for all 4

Per our earlier PMs I'm passing first dibs to TDSkip since this is a complete set. If he passes I'm interested. Shipping would be to 97402 (business address if it matters).

Yup....that's Joe's car.

And yeah, you should check them out yourself. I didn't look at them too closely myself. One was still on the car. You might want to remove it yourself and try not to break off the studs - they break pretty easily.

But on the other hand, Bjwhite was kinda first in line. But that would be Joe's call.......

Does this mean you are going with euro bumpers ?

Tdskip: Joe says you are first in line for the rear chrome trim. He will try to remove it carefully and report back with some pics. If okay, we will figure out how to ship and get you a quote on that. You can decide after all that.

Tdskip: Joe says you are first in line for the rear chrome trim. He will try to remove it carefully and report back with some pics. If okay, we will figure out how to ship and get you a quote on that. You can decide after all that.

Thank you!

oh I didn't see that he was first, that's ok.. :)

Maybe I shouldn't be tempted to go small bumper. I don't mind the big bars, as I don't feel like welding up all the trim holes.

Naaa Myron...you should be tempted. It will transform your X.....

And dont worry about welding up the few little holes. I found some very discrete little plastic plugs - satin black pebble finish - that fit almost flush. You really dont even notice them and they just pop into place.....

That way the conversion is totally reversible. Not that you would ever go back......

carbs and malifold

not to concerned of the condition of the carbs. pierce ing. is a hop skip and a jump from here, so if I can't outsource parts for them, I can have them do it for me. as it seems I have the only set of side draft mikunis on an x in the world. so I would like them for my next x. one has twin weber downdrafts and the other ha the mikuni side drafts. and another set of carbs means I can buy another x right?????
(don't tell my wife tho...):hammer:
mikem

carbs and malifold

not to concerned of the condition of the carbs. pierce ing. is a hop skip and a jump from here, so if I can't outsource parts for them, I can have them do it for me. as it seems I have the only set of side draft mikunis on an x in the world. so I would like them for my next x. one has twin weber downdrafts and the other ha the mikuni side drafts. and another set of carbs means I can buy another x right?????
(don't tell my wife tho...):hammer:
mikemo

Cam?

With this car having a pair of sidedrafts on it, I'm gonna gamble on the engine perhaps having a performance camshaft in it, as well? If so, I might be interested in that. :)

Easiest way to tell would be to either pull off the 3-bolt cover on the end of the cam housing (just above the thermostat housing) & check for any stamped letters/numbers there, or pull off the valve cover & check the physical condition/appearance of the camshaft & its lobes (a stock Fiat cam is very easy to spot).

Cam.....

Yeah Jeff, I was thinking the same thing myself......

You may be correct - yup I think the PO would have been wasting his time and effort putting on twin sidedrafts without changing the cam (and raising the compression somehow).

For sure I saw flanges on the tranny, so I think that means it must have had a 5 speed in it ? Which would lead me to highly suspect he would have also put in a matching 1500 engine. Any easy way to tell ? I think maybe some casting marks on the block ? Where are they again ? My favorite trick is to find a part # on the timing belt and see if it is a 1300 or 1500 belt, but I could find no numbers there.

There was no timing belt cover, and the cam pulley was the single type without the extra cogs for the air pump.

So yeah, we are curious about the cam too. Thanks for the tip about looking under the end cover - we will try that. And maybe yank the valve cover for a look in there....will try to take some pics if we can.

Back