magnecore ign wire and strobe timing light

Vido Peran

True Classic
My DIS strobe timing light (from O'Reilly) with a magnetic pickup is crapping out. This is the 2nd magnetic pickup strobe timing light to go in a year.
Typically, they start working erratically, then refuse to work. I'm wondering if the magnetic shielding in the magnecore ign wire
makes it hard for the pickup to sense the ignition pulse. Has anyone else had trouble with their magnetic ign timing light
when used with magnecore ign wires?

VidoP

Ya Vido

I'm on my third one. They replaced them for free. I had one for 4 years. The trouble was in the wiring connector at the pickup.

Charlie

Are you saying that you got all of the DIS strobes from O'Reilly, and O'Reilly replaced all of them, even the 4-year old one?

VidoP

Update

They replaced the whole timing light. They gave me a new unopened package and I gave them the complete defective unit.

Charlie

it's my strobe, then

Yup, it looks like my strobe has failed. O'Reilly can't find any record of me, and I don't have a receipt, and I'm astounded by the price of inductive timing strobes, now. From reading the eBay and Amazon reviews, there's a lot of junk out there, too. I sure wish I could fix the one I have. It was nice and bright for a while, and it was easy to see the timing mark. Has anyone here ever taken a strobe apart? There's no response to my wiggling the wires, so I suspect maybe a failed electrolytic capacitor somewhere inside.

VidoP

Can't help ya Vido... My old Snap-on from the 60's is...

still working fine... and so is the cheapo-no-name from the far east from the 80's.

If O'Reilly won't honor their warranty on their tool because of you just being a good customer... ask for the manager to see what he may WANT to do before you leave to purchase a NEW one from AutoZone... (especially since Charlie here has had the same problem).

Ask him for directions to AutoZone also... Say that loud enough so the other patrons will hear as well! HA!

Lastly, for all stores... If you are a Vet with a valid ID, ask for a Military discount. Usually 10%... Pep Boys was only giving this out on Tuesday through Thursday... they may have changed their policy though. This works well at all Home Depot and Lowes stores, even on sale items!

It's ME, then!

The strobe is by Innova, model no. 3551, going for $35
at Walmart.

After taking it apart and checking for loose wires, etc.,
I noticed a button microswitch that is pressed by what I
had thought was just a logo on the face of the strobe.

I went to the Innova website and downloaded the User
Manual, and saw that the "logo" is the ON/OFF switch!

I put the strobe back together and hooked it up to X and
voilá! The "logo" turns the strobe on and off!

So, in handling the strobe, I had been toggling it ON and
OFF, and that's why it seemed to work intermittently.
Sometimes, I guess, it pays to RTFM. :nuts:

VidoP

I don't know for sure..

but was told that the magnetic pickup on timing lights, are quite delicate...at least my father told me so 20 some odd years ago, in a very loud tone, when I let it bang on the ground...something to remember, i sure did, lol

RTFM is only the LAST resort! You did gud Vido...

I am PROUD of you... especially compared to the stupid enguneer that decided the Logo would be a gud on/off switch and the stupid-arse parts-guys that didn't know how their stuff was supposed ta work either!

You should get an award... the Great Guy of the Month Award and a Free Kid's Meal at your local Mickey-D's...

Write the Moderators here for an application... we should be spending our Server Fee Money on other meaningful things like this as well!

Back