Fiat prototype 21????

I think JJ sold this car last year

IIRC correctly it has some wood in the construction. I will see if I can find the post.

Well maybe I am confused about JJ selling it

He did have it in his possession at one point back in 2012:

http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/15189/

But I didn't see a FS&W post. Maybe it was an Ebay auction I was thinking of? I am sure JJ can give us the low down if he sees this thread.

I think it is a very cool looking car. I am not sure I would want to own it, but I would take it for a drive. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
100GBS chassis number it was titled under means they tried to pass it off as an 850 spyder / racer to the DMV...and fooled them.

SteveC

A prototype Fiat that has a Honda engine? Very confusing to me in the early 1970s. To be honest, it really looks like a VW Beetle kit car, same front lights molding. It is very interesting though.
I would like to hear more about it.
V/r,
Mike

I can tell you that the Genius Ricardo designed and constructed the windshield on this car. My interior guy did the fake alcantera type interior. Ricardo also made some really nice headlight covers but somewhere along the way someone got rid of them or removed them. I wouldnt waist too much time on this car. It really doesnt drive very well. And if you are taller that 5 foot 8 it wont be comfortable..... Long story but its a weird one...Only car I have lost money on in in a decade...:cool:

here are some pics. Its a real shame that professional car dealers cant figure out how to photograph cars....and i believe it a mistake to have removed the headlight covers.:hmm:

wow

engineering genius at it's best!!!
I can't afford it, nor do I have a place for it.....BUT I WANT IT!!
pretty sure the dealer paid 1/3 the asking price (been in the biz too long) and I would not be able to justify the need to the wife.
maybe it will sit there long enough that they might have a fire sale to make room for something else.
mikemo

Sweet looking!

The paint and bodywork are gorgeous! I know it takes an amazing body to rock a gloss black paint job. The pictures show that both have been executed very well. I like it!

I also like the inverted Batmobile steering wheel and the "remove before flight" key fob. :)

I visited JJ a coupla years ago (damn, time flies), saw this special car in the process of becoming the beauty in the pics, I gotta visit to see the other fiats in the collection. All while downing another cold one hehee.

C'mon guys... The only thing FIAT about this car is...

the wording on the registration and the matching VIN number.

Its a home built car (prototype) and if someone had a registration document and matching VIN... it could even be a '57 Chevy.

Even in CA there are about 100 allowable registrations a year for TRIBUTE cars where the BODY of the vehicle represents a car that was built somewhere in the past. Like a '32 Ford Roadster that is built with all NEW materials.

A car is KNOWN for its BODY regardless of the drive train or chassis. I.E. a Shelby A/C Cobra with a Ford engine, a '32 Ford Roadster with a blown Chrysler Hemi, etc. etc.

Using this logic, this car would not fit that category either.

This car was registered or re-registered in such a manner as the car was not, nor did not require an inspection. I've done that myself... Using the Auto Club further isolates you from the DMV as well.

But if the registration is allowed to LAPSE over 7 years, it can no longer even be registered as "Non-Operational" as it is dropped out of the system. When my X1/9 took a 7 + year hiatus I hadta have the car re-inspected TWICE as the inspector (a brilliant individual...) miss-copied the VIN and left out one digit. I know of one individual that built a Street Rod out of a stock '41 Willys 4 Door and paid the FULL registration each year so as not to have any problems if it took him more than 7 years to complete the car (I think it ended up being 3 or 4 years...) I know he did this on at least 3 occasions and in his case, he wasn't stretching the law.

In this case... ahhhh... I'd say not so much.

Other considerations that would never be allowed in order for this car to be registered in full compliance of the laws are:

1. Windscreens cannot be Lexan, but great work Ricardo!
2. Windscreen tint too dark, but again Ricardo, great work.
3. Headlight covers, if not DOT approved, must be removed.
4. Headlight height less than 24" to the center of the lamp.
5. No Seat Belts.
6. No Front Bumper.
7. No Windshield Wipers.

... and there are probably many more "legal" violations that would "normally" keep this car from being registered. Even my phony T-Bucket Hot Rod needs to meet these requirements. (I am admitting that I do not have items 6 and 7... but I do have a representative Body with a REAL Model T Chassis number and Registration. The care-keeper for 11 years even got "Historical Vehicle" plates. I'm pretty sure he went through AAA as well. HA!)

This new seller may have some liability issues by calling it a "street-legal" vehicle even if it was assumed to be so when it was traded in. A regular buyer/driver may not be learned enough to know all the laws, but a dealer should!

Aside from all this... it would be a highly dangerous vehicle to drive on the 405 near Wilshire Blvd. One would likely be trampled by a UCLA Sorority Girl in her drop top Mercedes SL-whatever. Life expectancy in SoCal would be about 15 minutes.

It sure LOOKS cool though... and I kinda lust after it also. It would make a great track car if the proper safety equipment were installed.

Last edited:
Ah - c'mon guys - it's made of WOOD!

No amount of blistered fiberglass (check the front shot) can make up for the fact that its questionable structure would be about as stiff as..... well, something not very stiff. Unless of course it weighs as much as a house - and then it kinda defeats the purpose?

Styling wise I don't mind it. Certainly better that 90% of the "home made" specials through the years. And I've had a screen bent with no-where near that curvature for a ski boat and it was difficult and hideously expensive. Props to Riccardo for that!

So given Tony's post - what for it? Museum piece? Maybe. "Wall art" for a man-cave. Sure. Movie prop? Ok, why not. Highschool woodwork project? Top marks. But viable roadcar? Nah... :help:

Hey Frank... ya gotta admit it could be...

Carbon Fiber over plywood, hopefully... and if it is, I wonder where it was baked?

I'm thinking it could be all fiberglass as it's obviously home built, could be really strong, but I would really like to see how it takes a hit without cracking all apart.

If this guy builds OFFSHORE racers for a living I might be convinced its actually stronger that steel.

Anyway... its still a LOOKER and good discussion here! HA!

The car has seat belts. And it has a front bumper but it is not installed in any of the photos... but I agree Pretty much a death trap....

Back