PRESS RELEASE: 2016 X1/9

RJH

True Classic
What if?

I am sourcing X1/9 body/frames from China. I have worked with a major auto company who has excess capacity to produce the bodies. These are exact copies down to the very last detail. RJH, LLC is going to import them to the USA where consumers can buy the bodies online and they will be shipped to their residence. The buyer will also get a choice of paint colors. Lastly, with modern technology the bodies will be built better and use modern building techniques and a superior grade steel.

RJH II, LLC has sourced all assembly parts for this car from China and will be selling those separately to anyone who wants to buy them. The parts will completely finish the car ready to drive.

Do you think that this can be successfully pulled off? Why or why not? This is just a what if hypothetical question.

Last edited:
Sure!

They do it for the Camaro. Basically, you can buy a brand new 1960's Camaro! (mind you, it's not built in China).

Engineering, drawings and control, figuring out the welds, quality control, GD&T, & Tooling aren't cheap, but it can be done. But my experience with most X1/9 owners is that we're all cheap!

It would have to sell for big bucks though.

On a side note, the VIN numbers are the tricky part.

Just make sure you can register the frames as a 1974 model year for all of us losers in Kalifornia.

You can do that for Camaros, Mustangs and '32 Fords...

but not for this obscure little car. Knowing that 1/3 of restaurant start-ups fail within the first year... You would have a better chance at investing there than you would importing Steel or Aluminum X1/9s.

(Reference: http://www.restaurantowner.com/publ...Recounted-Where-Do-They-Get-Those-Numbers.cfm)

FIAT couldn't do it back in the day... and most builds like that utilize the firewall and VIN of a REAL car that this body is replacing. You can also build a Home-built car but most must meet current standards and laws. In CA there are a fixed amount of, call them look-alike VINs that you can apply for... but its a real hassle. Many kit Cobras have these issues... and that car is lusted after by even guys like me that aren't fans of Ford.

RJ, I'm 67 and have a few degrees and have been in BIG business most of my life as well as dappling with entrepreneurs as well. I find the latter is not for me, but took some business education classes that really helped me to see what it is like to start a company and be successful.

I say that because I don't know if I'm writing to a person of 19, 40, or 60 years of age and has unlimited funds and just wants to play, or someone who will need this enterprise to support him and his, and they are investing everything they own. Or... something in between? Hell, I don't even know if RJ are your initials.

Some of the things I learned and have experienced over time include 1) Location, location, location... 2) a product or service there is a NEED for, or would be desirable by the masses to have, and... 3) enough saved capital to start the business and also to live on for at least 6 months.

If you, yourself want a BRAND NEW X1/9 there are some real LOW MILEAGE examples that pop up now and then that are LIKE NEW... and I have seen them sell for $4000 - $14,000 USD. If you want a LIKE NEW X1/9 of any year with an upgraded power plant, a minimum would be twice the highest figure on up, and you supply the rolling chassis, engine and trans. In this manner you can have an exotic-beater at half the cost.

If money is of no object... head on over to Corona CA and have Marcel's Custom Metal build a perfect replica for ya...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.677654688942861.1073741839.610632428978421&type=3

My intention here RJ is not to beat ya up, and hopefully not to preach, but to possibly give you a bit more insight.

I wish you only the best...

Tony

I am sourcing X1/9 body/frames from China. I have worked with a major auto company who has excess capacity to produce the bodies. These are exact copies down to the very last detail. RJH, LLC is going to import them to the USA where consumers can buy the bodies online and they will be shipped to their residence. The buyer will also get a choice of paint colors. Lastly, with modern technology the bodies will be built better and use modern building techniques and a superior grade steel.

RJH II, LLC has sourced all assembly parts for this car from China and will be selling those separately to anyone who wants to buy them. The parts will completely finish the car ready to drive.

Do you think that this can be successfully pulled off? Why or why not?
This sounds like a possibly new slant on the U.S. surplus motorcycles scheme that were being sold in lots back in the 70's. Supposedly the government had hundreds of Harleys still in the crates ready to be sold in large quantities at an unbelievably low price. The deal was someone would collect money from a bunch of guys that wanted in on the deal and when the bankroll got big enough the purchase would be made except the bikes were non existent and the person collecting the money soon became the same. So watch out RJH and make sure you know all the facts before you plunk down any cash.

+1 on making them from aluminum

If they made one from aluminum, I'd stand in line to get one. :dance:

legal avenue

if the car is built as a "kit" car, then it should be seen as a" kit" car.
I have a friend who has a Kellison kit car on a 57 Chevy chassis and it is totally legal as it as seen as a 57 not a brand new car.
hope this happens as it opens the door to more possibilities with our toys (passion)!!:woot:
mikemo

Funding needed?

Hey R here's a killer idea for funding!!
Get on that aspiring entrepreneur show - Shark Tank.
Mark Cuban owned a '77 X when he was young.

pitch this idea on the show..:)
Maybe he get's sentimental and funds the project!
Priceless..:laugh:

You will need to find out if anyone owns the copyright to the design, and if so acquire the rights.
Next you will need to determine if the tooling still exists and can be used or if new tooling or method of fabrication needs to be created.
Now you need to determine cost of producing the body and size of the market at price points.
Next research laws, taxes, distribution facilities, cash flows, marketing, etc. I would guess one of the vendors would have experience with those aspects of importing parts and be willing to share information (for a price as their time and experience are valuable).

Body shells are available for some British sports cars. I think the company is British Heritage Motors, (or something like that, do an interweb search). Those run about $12000 to $15000 dollars varying by exchange rates and model.

No offense intended, but I don't think x1/9's have reached the point at which this is cost effective as a business. When a X1/9 sells for $35000 it may become viable.

My two cents.

DaveR

Wha??

Exact copies? "Built better" how? With what modern technology & building techniques? What grade of steel? (FYI: any changes will negate them being "exact copies").

If you already have these knock-down kits ready-to-go as you're inferring above, why the big hoopla about "us" petitioning FCA to supply NOS X1/9 parts through their USA dealerships? Just to help you gain access to parts needed for your "venture"? :hmm:

Have you also FCA's, Bertone's, SOCAR's (etc.) permission/license to use the design of &/or remanufacture the X1/9 & all of its sub-assemblies? (copyright infringement lawsuits can get expen$ive!)

Since your LLC has already sourced everything out (body + all parts), you already know the costs involved - so what's the total delivered cost of your fauX1/9?

Back