Little Sister #26 Purchased

Austin74

True Classic
I just purchased Little Sister #26 that Zach Mayne found at a Honda repair shop in New Mexico and posted here a few weeks ago. He was kind enough to handle the transaction for me and is having it towed to his shop until I can pick it up over Labor Day weekend. It looks largely original, but it has a folding top instead of the removable-pillars-with-stock-targa that this conversion is known for. I am not sure whether this top was made later or the later Little Sisters came this way. I had planned some mods including bumper removal, wider rear tires, and backdating the engine lid area in an attempt to make it better looking, but I think I'll just restore it to stock original condition and enjoy it as designed. Thank you Zach!

I like it, just because I like pure convertibles but the name is really silly! I have to wonder what that does to the strength of the body. I imagine not too much other than remove the rollover protection (since the chassis was so strong to begin with, no?). It certainly effects the lines of the car.

Congrats on the purchase

Very cool. Here are some pictures from a down under little sister. I can't remember who sent these to me, but I think it has the targa panels you are talking about.

13August2006060.jpg

13August2006058.jpg

96da91cd.jpg

291b97c8.jpg

13August2006086.jpg

My only advice. Don't roll it. :devil: ;)

More Info Here

It looks like the original builder gave some consideration to strength as mentioned in this old link here: http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/14871/
Tim Barton passed away a few years ago, and had evolved into a well-known metal shaping guy. I liked the history of the conversion, and am old enough to remember the sport-truck convertible conversions and the first Superbowl of Motocross that Tim refers to. I'm not thrilled with the look, but like the idea of saving one of these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Thank you Jim! Yes, that is the configuration I was referring to. I'm very curious to see how the car looks with the folding top up. Zach says it is in good condition. After I pick the car up and clean it up I'll post more pics. Yes, I'll try not to roll it! I rationalize driving a car like this and my 74 that only has lap belts as 'safer than a motorcycle'...

Cool!

Thanks Mike and Greg - I really can't wait to pick it up. Looking forward to seeing the brochure PDF!

Little Sister Brochure

Hey Austin,

If you are interested I think I have an extra Little Sister brochure lying around. PM me your address and I'll send it to you. I got the brochures from the Auto Expo show when they first debuted (I think late 70's). If I recall the brochure has the manufacturer's business card stapled to it.

Way to go !!

Congrats !!! You sir now have a genuine piece of X1/9 history.

I think she looks great, but also looks to need a little TLC and love. It will be well worth the effort to bring her back to the condition she deserves.

Enjoy.

Don't roll it?

.....in all of my decades being around these cars....I don't recall ever seeing one rolled over. Smashed from every angle possible....but never rolled. I am sure some have, though. Please post pics! :)

No pics, but a trusted source

.....in all of my decades being around these cars....I don't recall ever seeing one rolled over. Smashed from every angle possible....but never rolled. I am sure some have, though. Please post pics! :)

Here you go Thomas. Just a quick scan of the archives and I found a thread with a post from SteveH on his rollover experience.

I stopped searching there, but I recall more than one discussion. As they say: **** happens. :)

You have to remember there were just 51 late model (87/88) cars sold here in Australia, soI'm guessing someone wants or needs the EFI engine and the five speed transmission (which includes 82/83 model sales years only and maybe 300 cars total)

So the 1500 and five speeds fetch a premium, especially EFI.

But yeah there's not a lot else to salvage.

SteveC

Thank you!

Thank you to everyone for the kind words regarding the Little Sister, and especially to John for the very kind offer of the brochure!! I'll try to keep the wheel side down and the shiny (well not yet shiny but eventually) side up. I'll post more pics when I get it home and cleaned.

Verycool!

When you get it please take pictures of the "topstack". I would like to know how it works. I am in the OEM convertible business so I have a special interest. Should you decide to get rid of it down the road then give me a shout. Had I seen it earlier I would have jumped at it too. It would be a good restoration project.

Brian

Me Too

Brian, yes, I am very curious myself at how that top works. I'll post detailed pics of the top from various angles and degrees of opening when I get it.

Here are some shots of the car getting picked up and in my garage, including one with the soft top laid in place. It appears that someone modified an existing targa top. They trimmed the center out, but kept the front and rear portions and then put a custom made soft top over it. The front clips in place just like stock. The sides are supported by plastic or fiberglass molded pieces. I'll let Walter post more extensive photos when he gets the car home.

I really wish I could have kept this car for myself, but too many projects meant that I couldn't jump on it. But I am very glad the car is going to someone who truly appreciates what it is and the rarity of it.

http://xwebforums.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Back