Backdating a 1980 Engine Cover

Austin74

True Classic
I saw a thread on engine cover interchange but can't seem to find it. I would like to backdate a 1980 to a 1975 - 1978 style engine cover. From what I recall the earlier cover and side 'vents' should swap straight over. But I believe there is work needed at the fuel filler. Is it a swap of the filler, complete tank, or just the stuff around the filler? Any help is appreciated!

engine cover swap

First of all, good choice on swapping engine covers! The early ones look way better than the later ones in my opinion...but Papa Tony will disagree!

I've done two such swaps, one on a 79 carbureted car, and one 81 Fuel injected car. They both required the early style filler neck with cap, along with the obvious bits- the engine cover and side grills. Guys have used the original fuel neck, but it's much taller than the later ones, and would stick way too far up (not sure how they got around this).

When you fit the grills, they won't lay quite flat. You have to trim off some of the plastic on the inner edge (the one that faces the engine cover). Once you get them mocked up and laying flat, you can screw them down. I make an angled stand-off spacer for the hole that doesn't go all the way down to the sheetmetal, so it doesn't crack the grill.

Also, be aware there's two types of engine lid prop. The spring loaded type is just like the later engine covers' and goes right together. There's also a prop-rod type, which requires more work.

Honestly it's really easy, the most difficult part is getting the filler neck and cap massaged into the right position, so the cap goes on without hitting the engine cover or bottoming out on the grill piece. It takes some bending of the holder bracket, some spacer washers, fitting and re-fitting. I'm kind of anal on gaps and fitment and such so this was by far the most time consuming part....

Good luck!

Thanx for the credit Alex... I fear I am alone...

and I don't think I have ever seen a post where one want to install a late model cover on and early car. If I had one, I certainly would.

Your comment here... "fuel neck, but it's much taller than the later ones, and would stick way too far up (not sure how they got around this)"

I'm pretty sure a hack saw would cure this problem.

Secondly, prop rods and springs, each have their cons. A great idea that some (those with money) have used are small tailgate-type shocks, similar to this:

(Thanx Greg!)

While you are at it, might as well do all three hatches... but whatever you do... have fun!

You can use the existing filler neck. All you have to do is reposition it in the rubber spacer tube below. Getting the old seal gasket between the filler & the side cover on is the real bear - I coated mine with copious amounts of vaseline to massage it over the neck

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7361.jpg

That maybe higher than the originals, but it is certainly acceptable, IMO

IMG_7360.jpg

Do the gas strut mod (recent WF thread) while you're at it, then the cover can be opened vertically

AFF24C22-5CD5-4645-AA00-F9B5C52E0F4C_zpszpauxw71.jpg

early style hood

don't forget that the hinges are different and need to be replaced also.
the late model ones are about 4mm taller and would leave the hood up at the rear window looking like a cat in heat. also the 75 to 78 had a black plastic "plate "that screwed into the hood between the opening next to the trunk for aesthetics, and they were also different sizes and designs.
choose well my friend!!
and papa tony,... I have 3 or 4 late model hoods here if ya need some spares:wink2:
mikemo
I can send them with the oil

Thanks Mike, but no...

I don't need a spare nor do I ever want to have a NEED for one!

I have plenty of oil and will maintain the flavor as you suggested!

Thank you my friend!

Hussein... Is it not that difficult to cut down...

the filler pipe so that it fits "flush" as if it was from the factory?

Possibly, I never considered that option.

Mike, I used the later hinges ('87) and don't have raised forward edge....

hinges

true that they will interchange, and are useable in any installation, the lower part of the hinge is longer, and a cat in heat might be a stretch of Imagination, but the later style hood also had the rear glass molding higher also to compensate for the difference in height and it is also visible when you compare the lid striker bar between the two.
jes my:2c:
mikemo

Back