X19 picture

fiatfactory

Steve Cecchele
I'm trying to impress upon my nephew about how dynamic the Fiat X19's handling is.... he thinks his Subaru handles well (umm no) and I want to find a link to the picture of stock the X19 'bending the sidewalls" of it's 145/78/13 tyres.

If you've seen the image you'll know the one I mean... I've googled it and can't find the picture I'm thinking about...anyone got a link?

SteveC

Like this?

http://www.windingroad.com/photos/galleries/fiat-x1-9/#2
fiat-x1-9-2_1_jpg_900x900_q100.jpg

That thing looks sooooo awesome! Look how those tires are just peeling off the wheel, lol!

Love it - and that there is the car I'd love to have (color and all). Everything, less the mustache :)

Wow

I had never seen that picture or the other ones on the Winding Road link. They are really cool and I'll be printing all of them! Thank you!

Thank you Greg, that is THE ONE!

It just says it ALL about why I love the X19, absolute no compromise GRIP and perfect balance.

SteveC

And those were H rated tires too as they were XAS's, one of my favorite tires of all time.

Last edited:
Got one of those........!

......as were the XAS's, one of my favorite tires of all time......

...Michelins still on my spare wheel, tucked away behind the driver's seat (RHD, '78 1300 X) - Michelin 145 HR 13 XAS - BRAND NEW unused! Still got the little rubber "nibs" on the tread surface!
(Hope by crowing about this, that I don't get a flattie next week! :doh:)

cheers, Ian - NZ

And it's now...

...Michelins still on my spare wheel, tucked away behind the driver's seat (RHD, '78 1300 X) - Michelin 145 HR 13 XAS - BRAND NEW unused! Still got the little rubber "nibs" on the tread surface!
(Hope by crowing about this, that I don't get a flattie next week! :doh:)

cheers, Ian - NZ

Hard as a rock!!! :laugh::laugh:

Imagine the IMPROVEMENT with a set of...

185/60x13 Toyo-whatevers on this same car taking the same corner at the same speed...

BTW... I think that rear tire is about to separate from its rim!

Also, My son had a 2003 or 2004 Subaru with a slightly modified suspension, a heavily modified engine to the tune of 300 ponies... and of course full-time all wheel drive. It was friggin' awesome... especially in turns and at speed. Even if the X1/9 was "equal" in every other category... the all wheel drive factor would prove itself superior.

AND... I guess 'cause I'm just old... I'd take my X1/9 any day over that Subaru.

Awww yeah, Rob, but.........!

.....Hard as a rock!!! :laugh::laugh:....

...it's still the ORIGINAL unused spare, mate!! :love:
(I know you are really SECRETLY jealous as all hell about me having this "highly desirable" X1/9 piece of history, so I'll put your name on it in my will, so it'll be YOURS when I croak!!) :woot:

cheers, Ian - NZ

I disagree Tony, AWD feels stable sure, but as far as "quicker" I would argue that point. They tend to make ordinary drivers think they are awesome too...

300Hp at the crank for a subie is pretty mild too... thats about stock JDM /aust spec STI's and that at the wheels is very common...but they still can't hold a candle to a good Lancia Integrale.

Lancia won five WRC's on the trot... subaru, mitsubishi and toyota only really got a look in when Lancia retired from WRC... and once Peugeot/Renault and Loeb got into stride, haven't seen which way they went.

I keep telling my nephew it's about G's, with the skinny XAS michelins I believe R&T had the X19 at 0.85 on their test circle, more than 1.0 with contemporary rubber is achievable, not much this side of 50k does that these days.

Ian, I reckon I might have another one of those to make a pair...and that would make for one scary ride! (no way you would get 0.85 of a G with hard as rock rubber...)

SteveC

Steve, not interested in them "G's" things.......

.......Ian, I reckon I might have another one of those to make a pair...and that would make for one scary ride! (no way you would get 0.85 of a G with hard as rock rubber...)

....I'm a firm disciple from the "School of Keep 'em Original"!!
I get my kicks from people who come up and fawn over my X, and say to me "is that really a 1978 car - it almost looks NEW!" :wink2:

PS - hey Steve - I will be over in "sunny" Perth next month (Sept) for a few weeks! Would be neat to catch up with you, mate!!
Have you got a contact phone no? (ianlaw(xx)clear.net.nz)

cheers, Ian - NZ

Lancia won five WRC's on the trot... subaru, mitsubishi and toyota only really got a look in when Lancia retired from WRC... and once Peugeot/Renault and Loeb got into stride, haven't seen which way they went. SteveC

But only because Audi and Peugeot et al got out of the game when the Group 4 madness was banned, but geeezzz they were AAWWSOME. Imagine what would have happened when Stuttgart and the RS200 joined the fray if it went another year.

Lancias hot-rodded Group A-spec grale' version of the mundane hatchback Delta won 46 World Rally Championship events, this allowed Lancia to take home the WRC constructor’s championship every single year from 1987 all the way to 1992. Even over a quarter of a century after its first race, it remains one of the most successful rally cars ever built.

Different class but hardly a match for the Turbo French 205T16 hatchbacks

I have an XAS ( smothered in coconut cream ) as a 'spacesaver' in the NA X if you find just one more happy to donate it to the crazy man who wants to fit 4 of them and see how long he lives. :dead:

If you were lucky enough to be witness you can never forget the noise of the Quattro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe0uPHIpQEo

Suba who?

You bring up a good point Steve...

In that when you loose grip with an AWD you have generally lost everything.

A couple of other points just for the sake of conversation.

The early WRX's that came to the US were something like 219 hp and I don't know where that was measured. My son's car was something like 314 hp at the wheels... and it was a ROCKET. Perhaps the copious amounts of horsepower and acceleration were a big factor as well.

I really don't know how to compare them to others or even to an X1/9, as we are really talking about apples and oranges... Just sayin'...

Oh... and if Ian Lawson does stop by your place, be sure to hide the women, children and pets...

(HA!)

best way to impress

take the kid to a autocross and have him be the passenger, or a vacant parking lot and let him see and feel the difference. yea puny tires, under powered, sure....but I do know when the pucker comes out of his butt he will take a long look at what scared him, he will say "NO WAY!!"
and the AWD does give the impression they are a superior driver, but if pushed to the limit there is no turning back or slowing down. you either make it or lose it.
give me an x any day!!
mikemo
hey... had anyone delved into an AWD x idea???
jes kidding:cool:

They are all safe these days, Tony......!

......Oh... and if Ian Lawson does stop by your place, be sure to hide the women, children and pets...

.....the OFD (old farts disease) catchin' up fast on me now, buddy!
I even have to put running shoes on when I wanna chase after some ol' dear in her "oldies" electric buggy!! Sheez, it ain't fair! :sigh:

cheers, Ian - NZ

Steve not with you on this one

Man, you know your stuff but I can do 3 sec a lap faster in my STI than I can in my X1/9. My X is atypical but at its strongest with all the tuning my Subaru can go deeper into the turns and is more forgiving in its bone stock form if I miss an APEX etc. 120hp vs 300hp sure helps but the STI can grab the line if I go into it too hot. There are many tradeoffs comparing a race car vs a street car, for example my STI is still 4sec slower than a spec Miata but still faster than my X.
me vs GT500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nKM9P5LuOA
Me vs Z06 (the Z06 Kicks it at the Nurbergring)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnt8eR_OuU

Just for the record my X can't keep up in this class.

I can do 3 sec a lap faster in my STI than I can in my X1/9. 120hp vs 300hp sure helps

so you have a power to weight of approx 140hp/tonne (assuming 850 kerb) in the X19, and a power to weight in the subaru of approx 250hp/tonne (assuming a kerb of 1200kg) and the subi is ONLY 3 seconds a lap faster than the X ...to me this shows the X is a far superior car...

120 crank from 1500 is underdone, and 300hp crank from a subi is around stock JDM spec. 120 (well 118 for me) at the wheels from a 1500 is what I've built several road cars to, so that's nothing fancy. 300 at the wheels in a subaru is getting towards the top of what's achievable before the cost/benefit curve starts to go exponential.

Lawso, I'l shoot you a PM with some contact details, and sure I'll catch up for an ale or two and maybe for a treat for yousee if I can take you on a guided tour of my Dad's workshop an car collection...if you can handle a non X19 ride around the city that is... in my Punto.

SteveC

If you're doing a personal car tour you should contact my boy in Perth, he'd probably love tag along!

Back