Can we now buy X1/9 parts at Fiat Chrysler Dealerships?

RJH

True Classic
Just wondering if I go to the parts counter at my Fiat dealership am I able to buy typical X1/9 or Bertone parts there? I do not understand why not? Why can't X owners go to the parts counter at their Fiat dealership just like in the old days?

Sadly, no

Not at the Fiat dealer closest to me, anyway. When I first brought my '81 home last November, I went in to ask if they could get me center caps for my CD91's. They basically laughed at me.

really.

Because the X1/9 has been long discontinued for over 25 years now.
What's the law requirement.. I think Auto manufacturers have to keep supplying parts for models for a period of 10 years from discontinued production.
law was probably even a for a shorter period of time back in the 90's.

You'll give them a good laugh in the parts departments for sure.
Aftermarket parts are a different story.

I bet the Edsel owners are up in arms.. :laugh:

Nope.. but between all the Vendors, ebay and xweb, I have no issues finding all the parts I need!

I did have my tires mounted at a Fiat dealer though. They have a Hunter Road Force machine with a proper Fiat hub. Who would have thought that Fiat would continue using 4x98 on a 58.1mm hub.

Nope.. but between all the Vendors, ebay and xweb, I have no issues finding all the parts I need!

I did have my tires mounted at a Fiat dealer though. They have a Hunter Road Force machine with a proper Fiat hub. Who would have thought that Fiat would continue using 4x98 on a 58.1mm hub.

+1 on the lug pattern thing! So cool and totally opens up the rim options again!

parts

actually the law stipulates that parts have to be available in case of a recall or campaign (10 years)that need a replacement part. if the manufacturer is ballsy, no replacement parts would be produced at all.
and actually after 1 year the part is deemed obsolete. no sales in 9 months, it end up back at the warehouse or scrapped at the dealership... (where do you think I got a boatload of from??):laugh:
unlike the car manufacture's today, who outsource almost everything, Fiat parts were interchangeable through most all the years.
might head back to parts at the local Fiat dealership and see how many cronies are still working and see if early parts would be viable:dance:
mikemo

Would you expect to walk into a...

Just wondering if I go to the parts counter at my Fiat dealership am I able to buy typical X1/9 or Bertone parts there? I do not understand why not? Why can't X owners go to the parts counter at their Fiat dealership just like in the old days?

Honda dealer and order parts for a 1974 Civic? Then why would you expect the same of a company that has been out of America for more than 30 years?

Pete

I have to say some of the replies to my idea/question are really mean.

I posted some other ideas that I had like the recent suggestion of YouTube videos for X repairs and the board really liked the idea. If some you guys are going to be jerks and insult me, then I'll stop contributing.

Look. I can go to my local Honda dealer and get parts for my old 1994 Honda Accord. If they don't have them in stock, they can order them and I used to get them in 24 hours.

Yes, Fiat left the USA around 1983. But now they are back. Furthermore, they only left USA. I assume they had other countries that they still sold cars and parts in.

Were only talking 1980's which is not that different than going to a local Honda dealer and getting parts for let's say a 1986 Honda Civic. The very old Edsel example on board member gave is weak.

I suggest we find out who Fiat Chrysler USA's Head of Parts is and start a online petition asking for X1/9 + Bertone parts be brought back to Fiat Chrysler dealerships. Perhaps someone here would write a letter to that executive. The fact is:

- They can make money on this.
- It will bring X owners higher quality OEM parts are lower prices.

Not trying to be jerks...

I have to say some of the replies to my idea/question are really mean.

I posted some other ideas that I had like the recent suggestion of YouTube videos for X repairs and the board really liked the idea. If some you guys are going to be jerks and insult me, then I'll stop contributing.

Look. I can go to my local Honda dealer and get parts for my old 1994 Honda Accord. If they don't have them in stock, they can order them and I used to get them in 24 hours.

Yes, Fiat left the USA around 1983. But now they are back. Furthermore, they only left USA. I assume they had other countries that they still sold cars and parts in.

Were only talking 1980's which is not that different than going to a local Honda dealer and getting parts for let's say a 1986 Honda Civic. The very old Edsel example on board member gave is weak.

I suggest we find out who Fiat Chrysler USA's Head of Parts is and start a online petition asking for X1/9 + Bertone parts be brought back to Fiat Chrysler dealerships. Perhaps someone here would write a letter to that executive. The fact is:

- They can make money on this.
- It will bring X owners higher quality OEM parts are lower prices.

Just trying to introduce some realism into the conversation. Fiat sold or destroyed the tooling to make those parts a LOOONNNNGGGG time ago, and also sold off all their current inventory of those parts. So in most cases, they don't have these parts to sell, nor could they make them.

The amount of running X1/9s in this country is in the low thousands, and there are already vendors that fill the need, so it's not like there's this giant void that Fiat would be filling.

There are hundreds of Fiat dealers across the US. Even if the tooling or parts did exist, what could they expect? That each vintage Fiat in the US would need a water pump replaced every 5 years? That would mean that each dealership would sell approximately 2 water pumps per year. There is not a business model in the world where it makes sense to spend money on inventory and storage for that.

Pete

Service Maybe?

I wonder if a few 'enlightened' new Fiat dealers might find it profitable to have a mechanic on staff that is familiar with earlier Fiats? From what I know new car dealerships make the most money from their service bays, followed by used car sales and finally new car sales. In a town that is large enough to warrant it, maybe building a reputation as 'the place to go' for service work for the classic Fiat community, along with hosting Fiat car shows and that sort of thing, could be profitable not only for the additional service work, but also for additional car sales.

I doubt that would work. After this long of an absence from the U.S. anyone who still has a vintage FIAT either wrenches on it themselves, already has a shop they trust, or is using it as a planter.

I can't see a chea<delete>frugal vintage FIAT owner paying dealer service prices, and I can't see a FIAT dealer servicing a vehicle they can't order factory parts for.

I wonder if a few 'enlightened' new Fiat dealers might find it profitable to have a mechanic on staff that is familiar with earlier Fiats? From what I know new car dealerships make the most money from their service bays, followed by used car sales and finally new car sales. In a town that is large enough to warrant it, maybe building a reputation as 'the place to go' for service work for the classic Fiat community, along with hosting Fiat car shows and that sort of thing, could be profitable not only for the additional service work, but also for additional car sales.

True

Yes, that makes sense. I still think it would be a good idea for a Fiat dealer to host some classic Fiat events at the dealership. If while shopping for a Fiesta ST I was attending fun events at my Fiat dealership I'd likely go for an Abarth instead...

RJ

I didn't mean to step on toes (usually do), but there aren't too many old techs out there to fill the void....and the parts dept. generates 80% of dealership revenue, with keeps the dealership open. that's why General Motors decided to take half of parts profit (gross, not net) and give it to service. and in a multi carline dealership, half would go to service even though it was only mandated by GM. talk about some pissed off parts managers!!
might go down to the local Fiat dealership and make some friends and see if I can get some contacts and ask some questions of the parts and service reps and make this pig fly:woot:
mikemo

Guys, I'm talking PARTS not SERVICE.

The way I assume it usually works is if a part is not in stock that they request it from their central warehouse. So, basically the local dealers all do not have to stock X parts. An X owner would order it from the local dealer and in 24 hours or so the part would arrive.

The comments I am getting here are very presumptuous and no evidence exists that those comments about tooling, sold off stock and all that are even true. All urban legend.

I used to own an 80 X. Fiat pulled out in US in 1983. I used to go to a local auto parts store near me for parts from 1986, 87, 88, 89 + and they would give me the part and it actually had FIAT packaging and was a genuine OEM FIAT part. Yet, they pulled out. I bought a mechanical fuel pump with FIAT packaging and it cost $1.99. I was shocked. The same pump at Vicks was $41.99 plus shipping or $36.99 plus shipping at MWB.

Forget going to the local dealer for further information. We need to go to the Head of Fiat USA parts. Who wants to help?

Well, if you're sure that the

The comments I am getting here are very presumptuous and no evidence exists that those comments about tooling, sold off stock and all that are even true. All urban legend.

tooling and parts still exist, then by your logic they should still be available at the dealerships in countries where Fiats have sold continuously since the X was in production.

Any comments from our brethren in England, Italy, etc.?

Urban legend. Yeah right. Maybe some of our vendors, who bought all the stock that Fiat and the dealerships sold off, would care to comment. And why would Fiat save the tooling from a car they took out of production?

You might consider that some of the comments you took exception to above are worded the way they are because those people just don't feel that you have a grasp on the real world.

Pete

Moderator, can you please remove Pete Whitestone for violation of the board's rules. Thank you.

Exactly what is the violation?

Can you explain the violation of the rules?

Moderator here...

RJH, we don't do that. Furthermore, Pete hasn't violated the forum rules. Lastly, he's right, and you should talk to some of our Fiat Pars Vendors about the stock and tooling they purchased decades ago.

I'll play nice.

Nobody is being mean but most of what you write is illogical.
How can you think this would be a money maker for FIAT?
I'm not sure of how many 500s are in the US now but maybe 30,000-40,000 a year since 2012..So 150,000 cars to make parts for and climbing.

How many X1/9s do you really think are still on the road in the US now?
Even if you think as high as 10,000 with that puny volume is a joke to them and these Xs are out of production..so those numbers will continue to decline not increase with dated technology.

I think you're messing with us. I still have my X from 1984 and never sold it.. :p:grin:

Back