3D printing in general, and the piece that goes under the headlight

Gruffalo

True Classic
Hi,

I'm interested in trying 3D printing, intake and carb fitting kits would be super cool to prototype using 3D printing. There's a fantastic intake and throttle body procject going over at the other side (rennlist, 928).

Any experience on the subject here on Xweb?

For a potential backdating project I would need the pieces that go under the headlights, the black lids that cover the holes. Are they readily available?

If not, could anyone provide close up pictures so I could start drawing?

thanks

Magne

Those should be easy to 3-D print. I made some out of suspended ceiling tile light covers, edged with rubber trim, glued on. They are transparent enough to allow light through so I can turn on my headlights with the pods down as "running lights". But if I had to do it again, I'd definately print 'em up!

Trim Plates are available....

Hi Magne,

The pieces under the headlights are in-fact available. 3D printed, no less... :)

Headlight Plastic Trim Plates - Series 1

4246288-a.jpg

-M

There are plenty of other projects to print...!

The biggest issue is not the printer, but the acquisition / creation of an accurate data file. That's the hard part.

Don't give up on your desire to own a 3D printer, there's a lot that can be done with one!

-Matt

you can get a "decent one" for under $500
I got one of these,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828840001

They get you on proprietary filament cartridges. I "jailbroke" it early in the game, flashed the firmware and run open source software and thus whatever filament and settings I want, works pretty well. You can probably build one with bits for even less. Someday we will all upload our models and exchange them, heater knobs, blanking plates, whatever. Need a part, find the file on the web, send it to your printer at home and by the time you get there, your part will be waiting. We're almost there now!

HP Sprout

Hey Matt

Have you checked out the HP Sprout yet? It combines a PC with 3d scanning capability. It was introduced last fall, but has only recently really started to meet its original expectations. The software "worked" at release, but has had a lot of its rough edges smoothed by now.

I was going to get one with an employee discount until the bastages laid me off last month. ;)

Hey Matt

Have you checked out the HP Sprout yet? It combines a PC with 3d scanning capability. It was introduced last fall, but has only recently really started to meet its original expectations. The software "worked" at release, but has had a lot of its rough edges smoothed by now.

I was going to get one with an employee discount until the bastages laid me off last month. ;)

Hey Jim,

didn't realise that you were a fellow HP man. Half of my team was laid off as well...

Back