Wheel Project on my 86 finally done!!!

pwhnts5

My 6' 4 Sons hate my X's
Put the finishing touches on my wheel project today. Pretty happy with results. It might not be for everyone, but I like the retro look and I think it dresses up the plan black car nicely.

It was a fun project. Now on to preparing for the body work this fall and winter.

PW

I have a collection of Bertone Tires from 1974 forward...

I also have some prime Beach Property in Arizona for sale as well...

All I can say Paul is this... I am too old to appreciate all the effort you put into both the tires and wheels on this project. I see a whole new trend in colored wheels nowadays and its all leaving me in the proverbial dust... once again. Ya done gud though...

As my cribmate Don Ptacnic in Bend, Oregon always says... "Chrome is my favorite color".

Black Tooth would look pretty sharp...

With a set of custom Bertone Tires Tony!!!!! To be honest the lettering was not that bad, just have to get tires clean, rough up, figure layout and then work slow and be patient, it is alot of letters to glue on and the darn glue is hell on the fingers, but once they are on they are permanent, they do not come off!!!! I always liked the look of white letter tires on a car but as you know you can't find them for a 13" wheel anymore, so I figured what the hey, lets do something fun with it and make them BERTONE Tires. When someone asks "What's that Car" all I have to do is point to the tires now:dance:.

I have a set of letters for the 79 as well "79 FIAT X1/9 BERTONE". Not sure when I will get around to doing those (maybe when I get all the glue off my fingers). I took the tires off and did the whole thing sitting down so it was not to hard to get them spaced right, only took a couple hours, would be alot harder with tires on the car.

PW

Paul: Where did you have the white letters printed? I think there are a few companies who do it but curious which one you used...

Another Way To Look At It...

...and in my mind the better way to look at the aesthetics of wheels and tires and in this case tire "art" :) is, what does the combination look like at speed?

After all, we the owners see our cars almost exclusively from a stationary perspective....but nearly everyone else that sees our cars will see them in motion. What they see is at least as important as what we see.

The best combinations, of course, look good while stationary and while moving:dance:

tires

not really my cup of tea, they do look awesome.
I think there was a thread here to a you tube video as how it is done.
I think that "papa tony...what you looking at!!!" would work for him:cool:
if any one can remember where that was posted, I might have to do something on mine as well
mikemo

... and that is why I like driving with others...

even trading cars so I can see MINE in MOTION!

I have a great PAPER foto of a friend driving my car a speed on a bridge, top off, snap down visor hat and all. I just gotta go find that and post it!

Cool to see alternative takes on the phone dial wheel. I still have my originals, can't decide whether to try any sort of refinish on them or not.
Once the Dallara kit is done, I won't be using them anyway....

Got any rolling pics? It would be nice to see the effect of the white streak & colors inside the wheel in motion...

Back