it's here!!

mikemo90

True Classic
finally got the fiberglass engine cover from mwb today..(THANKS MATT!!), and altho it has a height difference with the rear trunk..(thanks again matt), playing with carving it down so they are at the same level and make both into a one piece that hinges at the rear.
any and all opinions are wanted and appreciated.
I know it will clear the targa, as I hinged a stock engine cover a couple of years ago from the rear.
bueler???... bueler??....
thanks in advance!!
mikemo

Whatzamatter for you? Are you NUTS?

Wait... I already know the answer to that...

So... since there are NO photos attached... I"ll haveta rewrite what I think you said...

You want to GLUE the engine cover to the rear deck lid, which I hope is fiberglass as well and then HINGE it from the very REAR of the car?

Why? So it will eternally get in your way?

Have you considered hinging it from the front with some "quick-disconnect" pins instead... Maybe something like this:

While yur at it... ya might as well do this too:

I bet Wayne Wright wishes he had a V8... especially now that many are all aluminum and easily make 350 - 500 horsepower without even blinking. The extra 300 pounds over the final-drive only aids in the traction department!

Now Tony THATS a crazy build! What do you know about that thing...
Buick 3.8 V6?
Early Toronado driveline?
Is the engine reverse rotation?

Good analysis and a good eye Rob...

Instead of a reversed engine rotation, he flipped the final drive unit... which is a name GM gave these differentials.

Hopefully Wayne is doing well... He's a bit more senior than me and is crazy about Olds and Toronados and the like. Last I heard he was re-building (another?) GMC Motorhome with the tandem rear axles and the FWD. and was also building some kinda killer 850.

Maybe some of the Washington folks might know more (Mike Mittelstead?) as I hate to call him and take him away from his work just to chat. He useta frequent this site quite a bit and attended the Oregon Camp Outs (where these fotos were taken I believe) as well.

deck lid

no...no....no
papa tony and all others.
my problem is getting both at the same level to have a seamless transition between both.
they are both glass and I have to figure how to lower the engine cover to the deck lid.
I have started to lower the engine side vents ,and gotten an inch or so more clearance, but before I start to carve in the engine cover, just some ideas.. Tom muhuall did something years ago(fiat America fame)
for his twin cam 124 install, but sold it and the car to gain fame pro wrestling.....kinda....
all any type of input is welcome.:help:
mikemo

You rang?

Chevrolet 3.8 V6 & FWD Buick Riviera trans.
Had a Chev V8, but Wayne didn't like extra cylinders weight/location.
Remember...the build was started nearly 30 years ago!
Wayne is now in mid-70s and in good health last I visited him.
Still puttering with VW-powered 850 and motorhome projects.

His X drives/feels like a normal X when puttering about.
Other than the rowdy exhaust note.
Step on the loud pedal, and it morphs into parallel universe
of insane acceleration with hard hitting autotranny shifts.

Instead of a reversed engine rotation, he flipped the final drive unit... which is a name GM gave these differentials.

Hopefully Wayne is doing well... He's a bit more senior than me and is crazy about Olds and Toronados and the like. Last I heard he was re-building (another?) GMC Motorhome with the tandem rear axles and the FWD. and was also building some kinda killer 850.

Maybe some of the Washington folks might know more (Mike Mittelstead?) as I hate to call him and take him away from his work just to chat. He useta frequent this site quite a bit and attended the Oregon Camp Outs (where these fotos were taken I believe) as well.

Indeed... with about two thirds of the weight...

this engine and trans is normally powering, the trans will always shift hard and fast.

I remember first seeing this car 15 years ago and just assumed he did the mod around that time. WOW, 30 years ago... that was even WAY before the internet and this site existed. He is indeed a bit of a loner, huh... Good to hear from you Mike and good to hear Wayne is doing well also.

Send fotos and I'll give ya more input or...

I'll find a good Shrink locally to medicate you through this process...

You wanna follow in the footsteps of a guy who...

who screwed his deck lids together, then sold his car to be a Pro-Wrestler... SORT OF?

Oh Boy... do you need help!

deck lid

as always, you slay me papa!!!
the engine/deck lid that tom built was one piece ala 246 dino.
I want to either lower the cover to the trunk, and have a one piece cover. and it will be fused and glassed together. on further inspection, I might be able to bond the two together at their respective heights, buuuut that will take a little dago engineering and I might be the little dago that can pull it off:king:
mikemo

oh yea

this is for mike mittlestead's racer x and there is no trunk to speak of.
he has carved this beauty to about 1100 pounds... give or take. and with the engine I have from him, it's gonna be scary to say the least.
I just want to do something to make her different and stand out.
too much work??? hard??? but I think I am up for the challenge.
Italian engineering!! if it don't fit, MAKE IT FIT!!
mikemo:wink2:

There is a trunk...

...as shown:

badassery%20016_zpsobm42qbx.jpg

I think about 1500 lbs all up...give or take. Based on weight/mods done to RedWedgeX.
Pictured without its aluminum body.
wedge11.jpg

this is for mike mittlestead's racer x and there is no trunk to speak of.
he has carved this beauty to about 1100 pounds... give or take. and with the engine I have from him, it's gonna be scary to say the least.
I just want to do something to make her different and stand out.
too much work??? hard??? but I think I am up for the challenge.
Italian engineering!! if it don't fit, MAKE IT FIT!!
mikemo:wink2:

Look Mike, MY main concern for YOU is...

the "rear" hinge you spoke of. As I said before and you still haven't responded is... If you hinge it at the extreme rear of the car it will ALWAYS be in your way to work on the engine.

You will then only be able to access the engine from the sides. WHY WOULD YOU WANNA DO THAT? Just for the sake of being different at the cost of sensible practicality?

OK MIKE... I recognize and announce to the entire planet that you are indeed the one and only...

MIKE "THE DIFFERENT" MOISO!

Now get back to work and do the right thing.

Secondly... I do like the idea of melding the deck lid and engine cover into one piece though... but in a manner in which the seam is filled, but essentially still there. Then paint the engine cover SATIN BLACK and the deck lid the body color... as if you wanted it to appear STOCK. It will be then... that when you OPEN the massive one-piece cover, the crowds of people that have gathered and surrounded your car will be surprised and amazed!

I also strongly suggest you do NOT lower the engine cover and use a LATE MODEL cover as I am one of the very FEW who feels its a cleaner look, as well as giving you better clearance and cooling capability.

Just sayin'...

"jess saying"

there is no trunk to speak of. will be full of the exhaust system when done. besides the wow or woe factor, there will be ease of access from either side for repairs.......and who wants to drop a wrench on a mirror glass paint job. as per the pics that mike m (OR) sent there is no trunk, rear or front firewall to speak of. jes wide open spaces. actually thinking of stabbing the engine and trans from the top before the paint
is applied. the superior factory techs at work told me it was impossible to pull a motor from the top on a Toyota matrix, proved them wrong. they were mumbling no way....
WAY!!
maybe I will buy one of the lambo hinge kits and have it swing up and away.......hmmmmm maybe the doors too!!
papa, can I have the number to that shrink:help:
mikemo

MIKE... yes, lots of room from the sides...

but absolutely NO room from the back. From the back you can also get at may things much easier than from the side... as you should know...

I think you are making a BIG mistake if you do. You can get just as much WOW factor hinging it all from the front as Wayne did... and hopefully you aren't hinging your "wow factor hopes" on a rear mounted hinge.

I only wish you the best...

engine cover

I can't think of anything easily accessible leaning over the trunk lid, and with no firewall(s)....doo daa. and the assembly would be easy to remove if necessary. MM/OR would not expect anything less.
papa... can a man have dreams???
I choose to dance to the beat of a different drummer...oh wait, those are bongos. ya said I was the "different" moiso.

HA
mikemo

Back