MSRP price of a 2015 Bertone X1/9?

RJH

True Classic
What would be a fair MSRP price ($USD) of a brand new 2015 X1/9 assuming they still sold them today?

Please take into account all previous options would now be standard such as power windows, A/C, leather, FI, etc. in order to compete with other brands. However, there would be no design changes. It would still be the same old Bertone with same engine.

My guess is that the MSRP price would be $19,900 with a sale price of $16,500 out the door.

I would be a buyer.

I think you are very low on your price

Just based on inflation. In 1987 I bought my X new, and it ran around $12k. Inflation alone would have it priced at $24.8k.

But the point is kind of moot, because the X could not be sold today as is. It would need air bags, better smog equipment, etc. And that's just to get it past the regulations. In order to make it viable in the market, it would need better options, fit, finish, build quality. Nav systems, power everything, "smart" keys, a motor that can manage at least 150hp, automatic transmission, and so on. Pile all that stuff on and I think you are looking at about $30k, with a $28k out the door price. At least.

Pete

I would forget about the inflation calculator. I would base it off the competition's MSRP pricing.

For instance a 2015 Honda Civic coup base model MSRP is $18,290.

I think that's kind of apples and oranges...

I would forget about the inflation calculator. I would base it off the competition's MSRP pricing.

For instance a 2015 Honda Civic coup base model MSRP is $18,290.

Why don't you look up the MSRP of recent 2 seater convertibles? Miata, Solstice, etc.

I think you'll find they don't go for $18k.

Pete

Many Factors

Most of which would be low volume for an unique chassis. I think the best indicator would be the Alfa 4C. Remove the Turbo and use a current 500 motor and tranny, sans leather, fancy wheels & tires and you probably get down to $30-35K.

Maza Miata Sport

Maza Miata Sport on their website starts at $23,970. Has a 167 hp engine. That price is too high for a 75hp Bertone X1/9.

Oh man, could you imagine the options you could have today? 1.4l turbo (*184hp), leather trim, AC, navi, flappy paddle auto. etc etc. I'd pay $25k easily for one. Hell, it'll be cheaper than resto modding an old one.

You're way off for 30 years later.

My guess is that the MSRP price would be $19,900 with a sale price of $16,500 out the door.

The X had a list price of $15,999 back when R&T Guide to Sports & GT cars tested the Bricklin imported cars in 1984..test car had leather,pw,ac & a premium 40 watt sound system.
The year before in 1983 was listed for $12,650 minus the pw & sound system.

1982 was $9971.. tested car had alloy wheels,P3 Pirelli, AM/FM, metallic paint.

1985 was $13,990..metallic paint & luggage bags added to the list in the testing price.

1986 was $9,999..test car had cloth...no ac..etc..

Apples to Apples..

1984 Mustang GT Convertible- 5.0L : MSRP- $13,247
2015 Mustang GT Convertible- 5.0L : MSRP- $41,800

1984 CJ7 Renegade : MSRP- $8200
2015 Basic 2D Wrangler (no options) MSRP- $22,895

Last edited:
Remember the X1/9 was the low price convertible roadster for the average joe.

I wouldn't price it as high as the 4C or Mustang GT, but it'd be more than the Civic. Someone asked me at a car meetup the other night and I estimated $30-35K

low price convertible roadster for the average joe.

You know what. Go to the Fiat USA website. I'd price a 2015 Fiat X1/9 the exact same as the base model 2015 Fiat 500 at $17,145. Then add options onto that price if you want them same as the 500. You can't get more fair than that.

Just like it_mike said, "the X1/9's were the low price convertible roadster for the average joe." They were never meant to be expensive. Just like the 2015 Fiat 500.

No real argument.

Just a bizarre way to speculate as the underpowered power plant is usually the biggest gripe.

The point was not compare it in value to a Mustang..

But find models that are still around (minimal changes) and have endured 30+ years.

even the base model Mustang would give us a good idea.

1984 Mustang LX $7290
2015 Mustang v6 $23,800.
more than triple cost.

2015 Bertone X-1/9 (all pimped out) - MSRP $27,550
comparable : 2015 MX-5 Miata Grand Touring Soft Top
------------------------------
Side note:

Can you believe the 2015 Jeep Wranglers go for ....$28,000+ and that's a JEEP and they sell like hotcakes!
the original average Joe civilian Jeep.:eek:mg:
I do love my Jeep..:grin:

If one considers that a 1980 Fiat Strada, nicely equiped would cost $6000 dollars and a 1980 Fiat X1/9 nicely equipped was $9971, I would say that an X was not a cheap car at the time.

A Fiat 500 Sport lists out at 19000 nicely equipped today would net a modern X with similar engine, at $28000 as a likely number.

Aligning its modern cost at or close to a modern Miata is not far off.

The Abarth version would of course be another 3500 and it would come with an Abarth Experience day at the track we would all want to attend!

Would I pay 31000 to have a fairly hot (Abarth) mid engine sports car, yup I most certainly would!

Fun Fact:
It caught my eye on the MPG for the new Miata..
Up to 22 city, 28 highway

Check out the invoice from a 1986... Spooky..:D

1982 1500 5 speed (basic) X1/9 was $15,225Au, '83 sales year was the same and just running out cars imported the year before...

1987 Bertone badged cars (sold at Fiat and Ferrari dealerships) had a RRP of over $30kAu, with EFI, cat conv, pw, sound, no leather, rear spoiler, single colours, no two tones... sales were ordinary, my sister bought one around 1988 (same cars were still on the floor, no new imports) for $20,500 on the road all taxes and duties paid from a Ferrari dealer (not my Dad as he had none left to sell).

I know of two 87/88 Bertones bought new in the USA and imported to Australia into Fremantle, driven to the N.T.which was the only place to licence them initially (as LHD cars), and the price paid off the dealer lot in the USA was under $8,000USD in 1989, obviously this Briklin fellow was wanting to shift the last units and recoup $$.

Compare them to a euro convertible, not a japanese car, today in USA would have to top 30k maybe 35k, and would need (as noted) ABS,air bags and around 150hp to even get a look in to the market.

Your sub 20k idea is WAY under done.

SteveC

Your price is still way off.

The car, for as adorable as it is, has to be competitive in the market place.

In an earlier post, you said, "Maza Miata Sport on their website starts at $23,970. Has a 167 hp engine. That price is too high for a 75hp Bertone X1/9."

A 75 HP car would never compete in the market. A few people might consider buying it because it's cute, but even a Fiat 500 Pop would blow it off the line coming in at 101 HP and a 0-60 time of 10.5 seconds.

Add options to an already under powered car and make it even slower.

Is all of this speculation more of your idea to bring in "new" bodies from China? Testing the waters to see how much you can sell "new" X1/9 kit cars for?

Larry

You know what. Go to the Fiat USA website. I'd price a 2015 Fiat X1/9 the exact same as the base model 2015 Fiat 500 at $17,145. Then add options onto that price if you want them same as the 500. You can't get more fair than that.

Just like it_mike said, "the X1/9's were the low price convertible roadster for the average joe." They were never meant to be expensive. Just like the 2015 Fiat 500.

Back