Phone Dial resto mod...

pwhnts5

My 6' 4 Sons hate my X's
I mentioned previously that I picked up a set of phone dial rims to replace the Stock Tron ones on my black 86 project.

Well I finally got to it this weekend....

First blasted to bear:

Then a nice coat of aluminum primer:

Then two coats of black base:

Then tape off and two coats of red:

Set-up and remove masking and ........

Still need to do the other three in red after a few days. I know it looks different, but that is the look I wanted for the black X, some color. I think they will look good with the black lugs and black bertone center caps.

I need to let them cure, touch up edges, buff, clear coat and rebuff.

PW

Hey -- those look pretty cool. Will be interested to see them on the car with lugnuts, caps, etc.

Lots of mask-o-rama though, eh?

I like how they look unfinished... I'm thinking of painting mine up to look like your first picture.

They do...

I do like how they looked just blasted, thought of just clearing coating them then, but my black 86 looks so plain with no real color on it, I wanted to add a splash of color to dress her up. My plan is that when I repaint it this winter I will add red inside the engine cover louvers, the original red/white pin striping, red BERTONE decals hood and rear spoiler. Thinking of changing out the stock door cards for red leather ones and adding red leather seat covers. I will keep all the original cards and leave original seats under so it can be changed back to original pretty easy down the road if I wanted to. Might do red insert decal on the hood also, but again, it will be something that can be removed if need be.

PW

Wheels done............heading to tire mounting.

Got the other three done and all for clear coated this weekend. Took them down to get tires mounted today!!! Hope to have them on later this week. They turned out pretty good, not perfect, but they are 3 footers.

PW

MY two cents...you asked:)

Like them blasted silver a lot, Strange as it may seem ,the primer looks good to me , I can picture a rally car with snow tires and mud flaps on them. Do not like the black as the coolness of the wheel design seems to not show. The red seems to pop which is what you are looking for ,but to me the wheel itself still seems lost behind the color. Again ,your car only needs to please you, but you are asking opinions....sssssoooo...that's mine:) still will prove yay or nay on the car:)

I'm anxious to see them on the car. Judging wheels off a car is like judging a dress off the woman; doesn't matter what it looks like OFF, right? :laugh:

Last edited:
Okay they are done and on!!!!!

Well here is how they turned out. The Pictures added a little funny color to then in the light today, they are more red then they look in the pictures. I did a special effect over them before clear coat to add a little metallic appearance and tone down the red a bit, but in a picture it changes the color a bit depending on the lighting.

I am pretty happy with the results, adds nice color but the red is not overpowering. I have one more trick up my sleeve to top them off, but you will have to wait on that one until later.

PW

Before:

After:

1960's Batmobile?

I'll bet they look better in person.

Still, it's your car and your wheels. Enjoy!

Just a thought Paul...

Looking at you rear wing... it appears to me to have been installed BACKWARDS.

These things really don't do much until yur over 100 mph but I think they should be positioned at a slightly downward angle. I also feel the tips should be going forward as well.

Here is my derriere as an example:

My radio antenna mounting was filled and patched and paint over as installing the wing this way will interfere. I reinstalled the antenna in near the gas filler and it works great. I had initially installed it on the passenger side next to the ICM and near the dizzy... WOW, I could really hear each cylinder firing and that would be good if I suspected a miss. HA! No more "Talk Radio" until I moved it.

Anyway Paul... I call mine my Third Brake-Light Mounting, as well as creating unneeded downforce when I am cruising around a +100 mph. Do as you wish especially if you like it or want it that way... I just wanted to suggest an alternative.

Happy Motoring!

Back